Wordsmith.org
Posted By: mntamimi Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/23/11 05:32 AM
Hello all,
I was wondering if someone knew a single word (preferably English, but I would be curious to hear about other languages if you know) that either meant or refers to the concept of "blessing and curse".
Thanks!
Posted By: elifit Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/23/11 12:04 PM
In Polish - 'urok'

Depending on the outcome, it can be either blessing or curse.
It is usually cast by witches wink
Posted By: Candy Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/23/11 01:03 PM
straight away I thought 'children' but I know thats not what you were after...

what about (and similar to elifit's post)

incantation...as in a verbal charm or spell.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/23/11 04:22 PM

Hex ?
Posted By: elifit Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/24/11 07:53 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

Hex ?

I think hex refers to curse only wink
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/24/11 02:12 PM
you're probably correct. I got to thinking of words
that can mean either.
Mixed blessing, but that's two words.

Peter
Posted By: Faldage Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 01:07 AM
I have it in my mind that the Amish have what are called hex signs on their barns and they're there to ward off evil. That would be a kind of blessing.
Pennsylvania Dutch, yes; Amish, no.

Peter
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 04:20 AM
I did not know that about the PA Dutch.
A kind of hex-blessing, of sorts.
I gather that there's no real consensus whether they're supposed to have any magical power or are just decoration; nor whether the "hex" is in the sense of a charm, or because many of the designs are hexagonal. Language is so much fun!

Peter
Posted By: Avy Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 11:10 AM
In hindu mythology*, to ask for or to grant a boon is basically to grant you your desire which can be a blessing or a curse. I do not know whether that word fits your requirements.
Eta: *in all mythology
Posted By: Candy Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I have it in my mind that the Amish have what are called hex signs on their barns and they're there to ward off evil. That would be a kind of blessing.

Is it a standard saying?
Can you post what it is?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy

Is it a standard saying?
Can you post what it is?

I'm not sure what part of this you asking if it's a standard saying. And Tromboniator is right, it's from Pennsylvania Dutch. According to the AHD we got the word hex from Pennsylvania Dutch where it referred to sorcery, which could be used for good or evil, I suppose. We, in our callous disregard for meanings of words in languages we steal them from, narrowed it down to a the evil aspect.
Posted By: olly Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 08:37 PM
How about Omen.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 11:26 PM
Omen to me has quite a threatening connotation. Fate or destiny
more neutral?
Posted By: olly Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 11:33 PM
depends on your POV

Omen–noun
1.anything perceived or happening that is believed to portend a good or evil event or circumstance in the future; portent.
2.a prognostic.
3.prophetic significance; presage: a bird of ill omen.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/25/11 11:44 PM
Red sky at night, sailors delight: Good Omen.

An Omen can be good or bad.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 12:02 AM
back to the OP; what's wanted is blessing AND curse, not blessing OR curse?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: olly
depends on your POV

Omen–noun
1.anything perceived or happening that is believed to portend a good or evil event or circumstance in the future; portent.
2.a prognostic.
3.prophetic significance; presage: a bird of ill omen.

Correct: POV.
Red sky in morning, sailors take warning. Thus omen
can be good and/or bad.
Posted By: Candy Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 12:18 AM

I'm not sure what part of this you asking if it's a standard saying......

the bit about "Amish have what are called hex signs on their barns"..do they have one sign or do they make up a different one each time the put up a barn ie more than one HEX Sign?
Posted By: Avy Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 01:11 AM
A boon can be good and bad, I think. King whatsisname touched stuff to become gold. That was good and bad, a blessing and a curse.
Eta:Midas
Candy– Again, NOT Amish, but there's no standard design, it's infinitely variable. That's the fun and the beauty of them.

Peter
Posted By: Jackie Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 01:54 AM
Interestingly, the Amish did not adopt the custom of decorating their barns, and do not use hex signs to this day.

Neat article:
Amish News
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 01:59 AM
A most interesting site to purchase Amish items.
Thanks Jackie.
Posted By: Candy Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

Neat article:
Amish News

Good read....thanks.

I guess the idea of a hex on the Amish barn was propagated by TV... becoming an 'Urban Myth'
Posted By: Candy Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 02:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
Candy– Again, NOT Amish.....

got it now Peter.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 02:15 AM
And certain movies, I did not understand either.
Thanks Peter.
Posted By: garygnu Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 03:03 AM
Maybe abracadabra ?

"This, he explained, diminishes the hold of the spirit of the disease over the patient. Other Roman emperors, including Geta and Alexander Severus, were followers of the medical teachings of Serenus Sammonicus and are likely to have used the incantation as well.

Some scholars have argued that the incantation has its source in the Jewish mystical teachings of the Kabbalah, and that the word itself is a corruption of two Hebrew words: ha-brachah, meaning "the blessing" (used in this sense as a euphemism for "the curse") and dabra, an Aramaic form of the Hebrew word dever, meaning "pestilence." They point to a similar kabbalistic cure for blindness, in which the name of Shabriri, the demon of blindness, is similarly diminished. Other scholars are skeptical of this origin and claim that the idea of diminishing the power of demons was common throughout the ancient world, and that Abracadabra was simply the name of one such demon."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 03:09 AM
Most interesting, as are the other sites.

Thanks and welcome garygnu
Posted By: garygnu Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/26/11 10:50 PM
You are welcome, Luke. Thanks, that's very g-nice of you.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/27/11 01:28 AM
Ooh! Ooh! Gary should get a special designation: a gnubie. smile
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/27/11 04:21 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Gary should get a special designation: a gnubie. smile

Indeed, indeed. So gnoble of you, Jackie.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/27/11 05:10 PM
Interesting. Aren't a great many things blessing and curse as tied together? ( many of our inventions, old age, wealth, poverty, you name it...) And is it not a vain effort to try find one word for sort of this inevitable dualism?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/27/11 05:14 PM
Good point, Bran, I like the thought.
Posted By: garygnu Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/28/11 12:05 PM
lol, Jackie. Is that like gneolagnium? My kids used to equate being called a gnubie to a curse.

Luke, gnoble like gneon?

Bran...gneigh, gnary.

Gnitid morning!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/28/11 04:45 PM

Gnice !
Posted By: BranShea Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/28/11 09:13 PM
This glimmergneis is a real word.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/28/11 11:06 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
This glimmergneis is a real word.

I had forgotten this word for a very long time. Found a large
piece as a teenager, and have it somewhere. I'll have to
look it up.
Posted By: garygnu Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/30/11 02:17 PM
I like gnomes!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 01/30/11 04:09 PM
Why am I not surprised?
As long as you don't get gnats looking for them in the grass.
And your hair does not get gnarled rolling in it.
Posted By: garygnu Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/02/11 12:19 PM
Surprised?! I never met a gnomical gnome I didn't like...especially the gnomonist and ones with gnarly hair, gnawing on gnocchi. I think gnats are gnotobiotic.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/02/11 03:58 PM
You don't say!
I hear the gnots in the gnarly hair are gnatural.
Posted By: bexter Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/02/11 09:38 PM
gnarly
I haven't heard that word for AGES...it's a shame though as it is a great word...hopefully I shall hear it again soon...gnever say gnever!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/02/11 09:55 PM
Uh-Oh....you are into the gn.... stuff too!

Garygnu will love you for it.
Posted By: garygnu Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/04/11 06:03 AM
Gnarly! I thought you wrote...into the gin. Guess I'm a little Tickle Pitckeb or Vice Admiral of the Narrow Seas...what have you.

Ages? Are we..like..talking, totally tubular? I can like so hear "Gag me with a spoon" already.

Luke, spotted any gnatcatchers lately?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/04/11 04:05 PM
It's too early here, still frozen solid. Ground
covered in snow, but with March coming and
April the gnatcatchers will be here: swallows.
They eat lots of bugs.GNATURALLY I can't wait for Spring.
I can't wait for Spring.

Which brings us back to "blessing and curse." In this part of the world spring is known as "breakup." As the snow and ice disappear and buds start to burst, many of the unpaved (and some of the paved) roads become nearly or completely impassable as the surface heaves and buckles and the underlying ground thaws to a bottomless soup.

Peter
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/05/11 04:04 PM
With the potholes we get I cannot but imagine the
situation with your streets and roads. What a
headache.
Here in the big city (about 5500 people) things aren't so bad, but out in the suburbs…

Actually, road-building and repair techniques have improved vastly in the past twenty years or so, and much of the problem has been eased or eliminated, at least on government-maintained roads; but years ago, on the main road east of town, my wife and I were suddenly up to our door handles in mud, and it took a bulldozer to get us out. Interesting experience. Beautiful spring day, it was, though.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/06/11 12:22 AM
Somebody needs to invent a road-building material
similar to spandex. Would be great here in the Plains.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/06/11 01:19 AM
Spandex roads! Now that would be interesting! laugh
That would take care of those potbellies in the spring.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/06/11 10:56 AM
New kind of spring flower. grin The grounds were crowded with bluebells and potbellies.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/06/11 03:36 PM
Spandex roads! Now that would be interesting! laugh

I got a message from someone saying that they were actually
tried, of a sorts -

Spandex road surfacing--- there has been such a surface invented and tested in AZ. Not spandex, but they were mixing asphalt with ground-up tires, and while it was more expensive initially, it was maintenance-free and lasted a very long time. It was a John Stossel special back in the late 90's... and I think it was either AZ state hwy 10 or I-10. Missouri was thinking of doing it, but found it was
not cost effective, probably because someone at the Missouri
dept of Transportation had an uncle or cousin working for
an asphalt company.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/07/11 02:08 AM
That would take care of those potbellies in the spring. Potholes, too.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/07/11 03:25 AM
And use up the piles of worn out tires ruining the landscape
and the entrance to many towns and villages. Give them
a useful purpose other than artificial reefs off the coasts.
That would take care of those potbellies in the spring. Potholes, too.

Exactly.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Single word for "blessing and curse"? - 02/08/11 02:28 AM
Spandex can cover or reveal a multitude of sins.
© Wordsmith.org