Wordsmith.org
Posted By: kbear570am Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 05:18 AM
So my delinquent roommate has informed me, somewhat adamantly, that a word exists to describe the set of classmates that went to school with someone during their entire tenure at a school. To elaborate, I went to Butler from 02-06, so this word would encompass the folks that were seniors in '02 to those that were freshman in '06. (seven classes in all)

Can you smiths please help me find this word!?

I am new to the boards here, so go easy on me if this is really entry level wordsmithery. Thanks ahead of time!
Posted By: bexter Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 07:35 AM
Maybe alumni or 'class of ---' (American) but you could always try the onelook reverse dictionary...
Posted By: Faldage Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 12:02 PM
Well, "alumni" would refer to anyone who went to the same school without regard to being in at the same time and "the class of ___" would limit it to students that were in the same year, i.e., a freshman when you were a freshman, etc. I don't know of any single word that covers this concept, but then I don't know every word in the English language. There may well be a word that covers this concept but is only used by some small subset of the people covered by the word. It may, for example, be used only by students at Boogaloo State and is unheard of in other venues.
Posted By: Candy Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 12:53 PM
I don't know...but it sounds like a nice friendship.
Stick around......someone may come up with it.
Posted By: kbear570am Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 03:02 PM
hahaha! I really do hope that a Boogaloo State exists!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 03:34 PM
I have sometimes hear cohort used of people who started work at a company at the same time (usually as recent college graduates).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 04:08 PM
We have a boarding school for boys nearby, that never
accepts transfer students. So the graduating class
definitely fits your word search.

WELCOME KBEAR
Posted By: bexter Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 04:34 PM
Maybe you could use schoolfellows...? hmmm difficult one...I will continue to think on it...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 04:36 PM
'confrere' isn't getting much use these days..
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 04:43 PM
"Compadre" or "comrade" is more contemporaneous.
Posted By: bexter Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 04:54 PM
You could always use "frat bro's/sis'" ahahahaaa!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/13/11 05:02 PM
Isn't it time for High Tea. Take a Break (yuk)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/14/11 12:23 AM
Graduating class only covers those in your same class. kbear is looking for anyone in a seven year span, so if he is in the class of '12 it would include everyone from the class of '09 to the class of '15. Cohort seems to have the same problem.
Posted By: Avy Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 01/14/11 01:41 AM
Contemporary? Maybe not. I thought the word could something-ary.
Posted By: Keira Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 05/09/13 05:42 AM
I don't know of any individual term that includes this idea, but then I don't know every term in the British terminology. There may well be a term that includes this idea but is only used by some little part of the individuals protected by the phrase.
Posted By: musick Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 05/09/13 04:12 PM
When you actually have *nothing to add... to a conversation that took place over two years ago... you've shown your vanity. Once again. Yawn!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Newbie, looking for a word. - 11/14/13 08:03 PM
gosh, musick, we seem to have a continuing problem/issue here!
© Wordsmith.org