Wordsmith.org
Posted By: rafal One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/10/11 09:49 AM
Dear All,

Let me be lazy and just copy-paste my letter to awad:

I was sitting in the pub with the two of my friends today and somehow we ended up discussing what is the English name for a tea/coffee cup/mug handle... Only one of us is a native English speaker (not me, I shall add) and he claimed it's simply a tea-cup handle... Having been subscribed to AWAD for the better part of the last decade I find it extremely difficult to believe there is no single word for that in English - and a more elegant one on top of that! We weren't, however, able to find one through a simple internet search.

Any chance you could shed some light on the matter?

Anyone? I'll be extremely grateful, because it's killing me not to know that wink

Cheers,
Rafal
Posted By: Faldage Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/10/11 12:10 PM
It's called a handle. The important lesson here is that there need not be a single word for every little thing in English or in any other language. Is there a single word for it in your native language?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/10/11 03:59 PM
WELCOME RAFAL ,handle and all.
Posted By: bexter Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/10/11 04:34 PM
you could always use the latin, manubrium, although it has already been taken by the medical profession - medical dictionary laugh
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/10/11 04:56 PM
wink
Posted By: elifit Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/11/11 10:04 AM
In my native language (Polish) we call it "ucho" - ear, because it sort of has the shape of an ear smile

I even once said that in front of the class coz I didn't know it's called handle and my teacher said with smile that she gets the connotation smile
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/11/11 04:17 PM
WELCOME, ELIFIT
Posted By: Jackie Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/12/11 01:36 AM
Welcome aBoard, eli!

In my native language (Polish) we call it "ucho" - ear We have a rather old-fashioned saying: "little pitchers have big ears"; for the same reason, I'm sure.
Posted By: rafal Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/12/11 11:48 AM
Thank you all. I'm a native Polish speaker as well - and indeed we don't have one name for a tea-cup handle. We call it, as elifit pointed out, a tea-cup ear (or just an ear).

I just thought, perhaps unfairly, that 'handle' is not the most elegant English word to use in this context. And also, since English has a loooong history of words borrowed from other languages, I almost expected there to be one even if not of English origin (there is one in Welsh!). So you're right, there's a lesson in it for me...

Best,
Rafal
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/12/11 02:28 PM
ear

There is a proverb in English (and many other languages no doubt) that "little pitchers have big ears". Cup handle is what it's called. I recently dropped a cup and broke its handle. Calling it ear, you might be understood, but calling it handle there's no risk of being misunderstood. The {y} in Polish (and some other Slavic languages that use the Latin alphabet, is a high central unrounded vowel (link). It is written in Cyrllic (for Russian anyway) as {ы}.
Posted By: BranShea Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/12/11 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: elifit
In my native language (Polish) we call it "ucho" - ear, because it sort of has the shape of an ear smile

I even once said that in front of the class coz I didn't know it's called handle and my teacher said with smile that she gets the connotation smile

Ha, cool it's called ear in Dutch as well. Most logic thing as unless we deal with an extravagant posh design it always has the form of an ear. Handle? Is that seriously the English word for it? I never knew, in spite of the many cups of tea I had in England and U.S.

( I mean, I'm still astonished about all the cups of whatever I drank and no one ever said a word about the handle or ear. Such a familiar thing and the word never mentioned, jee......) What else can we do without smile .
Posted By: Jackie Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 04:32 AM
There is a proverb in English (and many other languages no doubt) that "little pitchers have big ears". Well--it is true that I seldom have anything of import posted. Can't blame you.
Posted By: elifit Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 07:10 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
ear

There is a proverb in English (and many other languages no doubt) that "little pitchers have big ears". Cup handle is what it's called. I recently dropped a cup and broke its handle. Calling it ear, you might be understood, but calling it handle there's no risk of being misunderstood.

Of course when you call it a handle, there's no risk of misunderstanding.. for an English native speaker. I think the difference is in the representation. In Polish (and Dutch apparently smile ) the word "ear" represents the shape, whereas in English handle represents the function.. as you use your hand to hold the cup. Hmm, I'm wondering how many such words with differences like this exist. I'll think about it and post it when I find some smile
Posted By: elifit Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 07:21 AM
And I found one..although both terms refer to a shape. In English we call it an eye of a needle, In Polish we call it an ear of a needle. smile

The difference is how you look at the needle, if you look at it horizontally, the loop resembles an eye. If you look vertically it resembles an ear.

Posted By: BranShea Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 09:51 AM
laugh Ha! I would like to have a look at a Polish needle. For needle we go with the English. Eye. (devided loyalties)

This one's for Jackie:

Posted By: elifit Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 10:58 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
laugh Ha! I would like to have a look at a Polish needle. For needle we go with the English. Eye. (devided loyalties)

Eye makes more sense since the shape is oval. By the way, how do you call knitting stitches in Dutch? In polish it's "oczko" [aw-tch-kaw] - small eye laugh and ladder (Am. runner) in tights is also small eye heheh

Funny how many different words are referred to as oczko: blackjack, stone in a ring, mesh in net
Posted By: bexter Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 11:01 AM
knit and pearl over here...(I think...my aunt knits, maybe I should ask her all of the stich names!)
Posted By: elifit Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: bexter
knit and pearl over here...(I think...my aunt knits, maybe I should ask her all of the stich names!)

You can have different stitches but the loop you create with the knitting needles is called stitch - oczko smile

Isn't that knit and purl? I knit too wink
Posted By: bexter Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 01:02 PM
yup I never was good with knitting terminology...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: One word for a tea-cup handle? - 01/13/11 04:05 PM
Knitting terminology....I was never good with knitting.
I can crochet, however.

We call them "stitches". But as one who cannot knit, who am
I to question?
© Wordsmith.org