Wordsmith.org
Posted By: akerley the word "viz" - 12/23/10 05:52 PM
I cannot find a definition for "viz." which I have seen on many occasions through the years, seeming to mean "for example" or "such as" or something of that kind.

I'd like to get a definition if possible. Thank you all.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: the word "viz" - 12/23/10 05:57 PM

WELCOME, AKERLEY
Posted By: tsuwm Re: the word "viz" - 12/23/10 08:45 PM
viz : namely (Used to introduce examples, lists, or items.)
Function: abbreviation
Etymology: Latin videlicet

NB: there are 42 dictionaries with English definitions that include the word viz listed at OneLook.com (YCLIU!)
Posted By: Faldage Re: the word "viz" - 12/23/10 10:29 PM
You might even find out how the delicet part became [i[z[/i].
Posted By: Candy Re: the word "viz" - 12/24/10 07:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
You might even find out how the delicet part became [i[z[/i].

I see.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: the non-word "viz" - 12/24/10 01:25 PM
ou might even find out how the delicet part became z.

Why doesn't this set off the peevometry alarums like ATM machine? A 'proper' abbreviation for videlicet should obviously be vid., not viz. if only normative grammarians were consistent.
Posted By: bexter Re: the non-word "viz" - 12/24/10 06:05 PM
I have seen vid. used occaisionally...what always confused me was the use of viz a viz...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: visa viz, or hit the fat - 12/24/10 06:25 PM
what always confused me was the use of viz a viz...

I once baited a French co-worker by asking him what he thought of the way Americans pronounced coup de grace as coup de gras.
Posted By: Faldage Re: the non-word "viz" - 12/24/10 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: bexter
I have seen vid. used occaisionally...what always confused me was the use of viz a viz...

Where you see dat?
Posted By: Aramis Re: the non-word "viz" - 12/29/10 05:41 PM
Originally Posted By: bexter

Ha! Here is an excerpt from an obscure, unpublished work, with corrected spelling of Defoe, who was a writer but probably not an actor:

Shocking as this may be, I will admit that I once made a faulty assumption from not looking something up. In reading Defoe, I had always taken his viz. to mean vis-à-vis. One day while looking something else up somewhere in the V’s, on a whim I looked for viz. To my surprise, Defoe’s term turned out to be an abbreviation for videlicet, which means ‘that is to say’ or ‘namely’, [and thus very much like id est]. My interpretation of vis-à-vis was reasonably useful by one of its three definitions, but not what Defoe wrote. So, even a literary snob can stumble on a forehead-smacking discovery.
Posted By: Aramis Re: the non-word "viz" - 12/29/10 05:48 PM
The answer to a consonant-heavy query is that it leaps the fence between empty-headed and curiously odd combined with an archaic nature. Perhaps "vid." was already taken in 1722.
© Wordsmith.org