Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm French subjunctive - 11/30/10 06:34 PM
"--if ever there was an unnecessary tense it was the French subjunctive."

having just now read this, and not having any desire to learn French per se, I wonder if someone could explain, in English, what this statement alludes to?
Posted By: BranShea Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 06:58 PM
This statement is just someone's. Someone who does not like the
subjunctive, but much in language is not per se necessary. It just gives a nuance to something said or written. Most often a indication a wish, a hope, a possibility.

Un bon repas avec un peu de musique et c'est noel. ... à moins qu' il me fasse un bon apéro....

A good meal with a bit of music and that's christmas. ... if at least he will make me a good apéro... ( apératif ) what is the English word for apératif?
A drink and some goodies before a meal?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 07:01 PM
>Un bon repas avec un peu de musique et c'est noel. ... à moins qu' il me fasse un bon apéro.

see, now this is precisely why I asked for English responses! wink
Posted By: BranShea Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 07:04 PM
See translation please. I've been editing my head off. (smily smile)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 07:13 PM
thanx. now, why do you suppose Kate Atkinson, a Scottish(?) novelist, chose to, parenthetically, opine thusly?

edit: while I'm at it, here's a link to Atkinson

link to Atkinson
Posted By: BranShea Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 07:25 PM
She may be a Scottish kvetch. I don't see the relation between this opinion and the apparently all English books she writes. Looks like nice mystery books.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 09:02 PM
"--if ever there was an unnecessary tense it was the French subjunctive."

Not to be pedantic, but the subjunctive is a mood, not a tense. Everybody's of the opinion that their language is the most efficacious and succinct when it comes to grammar. People opine thus when they are exposed to a new language and have to learn its idiosyncrasies.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 09:13 PM
yes, this much is obvious, even to me. I was just wondering what the basis might be, if any, for picking on the French subjunctive, notwithstanding any misidentification.
Posted By: bexter Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 09:18 PM
Maybe she is unable to figure out how it works and so has declared it pointless? (I did much the same thing but with the whole French language when I learnt it at school. To this day all I can say is Je suis morte and J'ai une grenouille which is not very helpful at all)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 09:32 PM
pour moi: je ne sais pas.
Posted By: bexter Re: French subjunctive - 11/30/10 09:34 PM
Ooops! Sorry...the first one means I am dead and the second means I have a frog neither of which would come in useful. Ever.
© Wordsmith.org