Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie A pop question - 11/17/10 12:04 AM
Okay. I have heard this song on the radio (and like it, for whatever that's worth). I have asked two different people in their 20's what this refers to, and neither knew, so I'm asking here, and including a question from an article I read this morning about Asian hip-hop:

1. What on EARTH is a "G-6"?
2. What is "bottle service"?

(The article said something along the lines of a lifestyle with beautiful women and bottle service.)
Posted By: olly Re: A pop question - 11/17/10 01:21 AM
Yo whaddup! Y'all be fly like a G6 yo!

Hello! How are you? Hope you are Cool(fly) like a Gulfstream (private)Jet With free drinks (Bottle service)
Posted By: Jackie Re: A pop question - 11/18/10 02:25 AM
A G6 means a Gulfstream jet? Golly--quite by accident, just today I came across an ad for a Pontiac car called a G6, and thought maybe that's what the song refers to.

Thanks, o. smile
Posted By: olly Re: A pop question - 11/18/10 03:56 AM
It can mean either or. But the preceding line...Fly like a..fits.
Posted By: Faldage Re: A pop question - 11/18/10 01:08 PM
G-6 would also be a pay grade for a government employee but it's not real high so I don't think a G-6 is going to fly at a level that has bottle service.

OTOH
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: A pop question - 11/18/10 01:25 PM
Clearly unrelated, but when I was very young, there were still milkmen in the US who came to our house, IIRC, twice a week. They would drop of milk in bottles and pick up our old bottles that were left outside in a milk crate. I think it was sometimes called "bottle service." I don't recall seeing any milkmen by the time I was a teen.

In my early 20s, I visited my family in Germany. They had "bottle service" there, as well, except the delivery man left full bottles of beer and retrieved your empties. No kidding.
Posted By: Faldage Re: A pop question - 11/18/10 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

In my early 20s, I visited my family in Germany. They had "bottle service" there, as well, except the delivery man left full bottles of beer and retrieved your empties. No kidding.

They got their priorities straight in Germany.
Posted By: olly Re: A pop question - 11/18/10 08:45 PM
I used to deliver milk before school in the morning. I was fitter than a G6 then. When I was 7 or 8 I recall our rubbish collectors being left bottles of beer for all of there hard work during the year. By the time they got to our place they had a trailer load of the stuff. Can't do that anymore!
Posted By: Jackie Re: A pop question - 11/19/10 03:23 AM
How come?
Posted By: olly Re: A pop question - 11/21/10 09:26 PM
Logistics mainly. One man driving a truck with a mechanical arm. (No not like Steve Austin, the truck has a mechanical arm)
Posted By: beck123 Re: A pop question - 11/22/10 07:32 PM
I'll still leave a case of beer buried under the yard waste once in a while, particularly when the amount of leaves or clippings seems a bit over the top. They've never left the beer at the curb.
Posted By: Jackie Re: A pop question - 11/23/10 03:02 AM
Wow, what a great idea!
© Wordsmith.org