Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie A hissing fancy - 10/30/10 02:16 AM
While trying to find a word that might suit the FF's need, I came across this word: dehisce. For whatever reason, I like this word! Maybe for the sound, I dunno. Anyway, it means:
intr.v.
de·hisced, de·hisc·ing, de·hisc·es

-- Botany To open at definite places, discharging seeds, pollen, or other contents, as the ripe capsules or pods of some plants.

-- Medicine To rupture or break open, as a surgical wound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
Latin dehscere : d-, de- + hscere, to split, inchoative of hire, to be open

AHD

Then I got to wondering if there is a word hisce, that the de- might be a prefix for. Onelook had one entry, which I couldn't read, and am hoping someone will help me out with this:
No definitions are available for hisce.
Examples

Penelopes, nebulones, Alcinoique, modo tot annos in academia insumpserint, et se pro togatis venditarint; lucri causa, et amicorum intercessu praesentantur; addo etiam et magnificis nonnunquam elogiis morum et scientiae; et jam valedicturi testimonialibus hisce litteris, amplissime conscriptis in eorum gratiam honorantur, abiis, qui fidei suae et existimationis jacturam proculdubio faciunt.
—Anatomy of Melancholy
So in the hope of getting that son back home more readily he bought both of these prisoners from the commissioners who were disposing of the spoils. hisce autem inter sese hunc confinxerunt dolum...

Wordnik
Posted By: Candy operation anyone? - 10/30/10 05:37 AM
It also is a term used frequently by the medical progression.profession.

dehisced....split open or rupture, usually after surgery, due to poor healing or infection but also to incorrect use of sutures or staples. Also a wound can dehisced if sutures are removed too soon.

Yes it has a great sound...
Posted By: Faldage Re: operation anyone? - 10/30/10 11:34 AM
Latin hiscere, 'to gape'. The prefixde- in this case would not be a negating prefix but one indicating outward motion as seen in the Latin preposition de, 'down from, from'.
Posted By: BranShea Re: operation anyone? - 10/30/10 12:09 PM
So its like 'discard'? I mean you have dislocate and locate, but no discard and card as verbs.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: operation anyone? - 10/30/10 09:18 PM
oh no? I say 'card me' all the time, playing Black Jack.
/kidding
Posted By: Faldage Re: operation anyone? - 10/30/10 09:24 PM
And when you card wool what you get is kept.
Posted By: BranShea Re: operation anyone? - 10/31/10 03:36 AM
Jee, true, there ́s a verb card. But still, only used in combine with wool.
Posted By: Candy Re: card - 10/31/10 05:16 AM
well not just wool

goats (angora or cashmere), alpacas, silk, llamas and even rabbit fur....any animal fleece which is used for spinning.

I just watched on TV yesterday....a man 'shearing' his angora rabbits (he made a table with an apparatus that holds his rabbits and can turn so he can shear each side, with ease.
Posted By: BranShea Re: card - 10/31/10 08:02 AM
I hope he had little woolen overalls for the poor things after the job was done?
Posted By: Jackie Re: operation anyone? - 10/31/10 10:33 PM
The prefixde- in this case would not be a negating prefix but one indicating outward motion as seen in the Latin preposition de, 'down from, from'. Ah! Merci.

Branny, there is another verb meaning for card, at least around these parts. If you look like you could be under the legal age for drinking (or perhaps other things), you get carded at the entrance--meaning they look at your identification card. I don't know if it's just slang or whether it might be in a dictionary somewhere.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: operation anyone? - 11/01/10 12:11 AM
carded for drinking's been around for a long time. at least from the Great Plains to New England!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: operation anyone? - 11/01/10 07:35 PM
from OneLook quick definition (now Macmillan dictionary):
verb

to ask someone to show a document that proves their age, especially in a bar

to achieve a particular score, especially in golf

to give a player a red card or yellow card in soccer, for bad behavior

to pull a tool like a comb through wool or cotton to make it ready for spinning
Posted By: BranShea Re: operation anyone? - 11/01/10 10:11 PM
You know? I'm impressed! The verb to card exists. In thruth. I'm also much impressed by those little arrows. I sometimes would like to use such an arrow. Is it hard to make?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: operation anyone? - 11/01/10 11:26 PM
not if you use a character map..
←↑→↓↔
Posted By: Jackie Re: operation anyone? - 11/02/10 02:35 AM
All right [off-topic e](sorry) -- can anyone tell me why, when I try the Alt + numbers sequence, they kick me off this screen to my home page? And stranger still is that not all of them do it; just most. A few of them give me the characters I want.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: operation anyone? - 11/02/10 05:10 AM
[this is a guess, only a guess]

there are priorities (d'oh!) for key sequences:
windows/OS → browser → app/edit

that may be what's going on...
Posted By: BranShea Re: operation anyone? - 11/02/10 08:24 AM

(just stealing also serves well) I've got them stored. Like all gentil thieves I say: "thank you".

Posted By: Faldage Re: operation anyone? - 11/02/10 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
All right [off-topic e](sorry) -- can anyone tell me why, when I try the Alt + numbers sequence, they kick me off this screen to my home page? And stranger still is that not all of them do it; just most. A few of them give me the characters I want.

OK, whatcha gotta do is make sure you're in NUM LOCK then hold down the ALT key during the entire procedure. Enter the sequence (with the ALT key held down), e.g., 0222. Don't forget the leading zero.
Posted By: Jackie Re: operation anyone? - 11/03/10 02:13 AM
º Ü é ê ½ £ ô » «

YAY, it worked! Thank you thank you thank you!! [blowing kiss e]

P.S.--It took my eyes going two times around the keyboard to find the NUM LOCK button. I also saw some things I've never noticed before, such as that All, Cut, Copy, Paste, and Bold are on the fronts of my a, x, c, v, & b keys; also I have an F lock button...which might be the explanation for why my F keys don't work.
Posted By: Candy Re: F lock - 11/07/10 12:00 AM
....so you can never say the F word then, Jackie
Posted By: Jackie Re: F lock - 11/08/10 02:46 AM
smile
© Wordsmith.org