Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 09:08 AM
I was just watching TV (forgive me b96, I know what I do) and two characters in the programme pronounced "salve" as "sav" Is this US standard, or a Jersey corruption?

Posted By: Bean Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 10:46 AM
I've certainly heard it that way on US shows , but I've never actually said the word so I can't say how I'd say it. It's not a terribly common word, especially spoken.

How would you say it?
Posted By: of troy Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 12:27 PM
silent L is the only way i have ever heard it--

Posted By: wow Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 01:15 PM
Silent "L" with a looong "A" is how I hear it in my neighborhood ... Northeast US. When I do try out the word with an L in it I get odd looks but it's understood.
Friends usually look at me and say "Oh, puh-leese!"
wow

Posted By: NicholasW Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 01:29 PM
"sahv" is the traditional pronunciation. The "salv" is a recent innovation in UK/ANZ, by false association with the root of salvage. But I imagine it's universal now, outside US.

Posted By: wwh Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 01:30 PM
salve1 (sav, säv)
n.
5ME < OE sealf, akin to Ger salbe < IE base *selp3, fat, butter > Sans sarpis3, melted butter6
1 any medicinal ointment applied to wounds, skin irritations, burns, etc.

But if an automobile tire needed a "valve" I would not ask for a "vav"!

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 01:44 PM
If akin to 'die Salbe' (i.e. ointment, cream), then it ought to be pronounced as it's written. Next people will be driving a Vovo home.

Posted By: rodward Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 02:00 PM
I (and my mates) in UK prounounce Salve with a long "A" and with the "L" but running into the "V" rather than a separate sound. This is how I have always heard it. I bow to NicholasW's superior knowledge but the root (and some dictionaries) suggest to me that the "l" should be sounded.
salve \Salve\ (?; 277), n. [AS. sealf ointment; akin to LG. salwe, D. zalve, zalf, OHG. salba, Dan. salve, Sw. salfva, Goth. salb[=o]n to anoint, and probably to Gr. (Hesychius) ? oil, ? butter, Skr. sarpis clarified butter. [root]155, 291.] 1. An adhesive composition or substance to be applied to wounds or sores; a healing ointment. --Chaucer.

Rod

Posted By: Faldage Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 02:49 PM
Halve, calve, valve. Only the last halve I heard pronounced with the L.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Vovo - 04/25/01 03:00 PM
Next people will be driving a Vovo home.

Which would be an improvement. One must pronounce "Volvo" very carefully.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: What the '"L" is sav? - 04/25/01 03:22 PM
In reply to:

it ought to be pronounced as it's written

What, are you nuts? Since when did logic or 'ought to' enter into English pronunciation?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Vovo - 04/25/01 03:23 PM
One must pronounce "Volvo" very carefully.

Yes indeed! I have afriend who teaches at the local agricultural college, whose favourite story at the moment s the exam answer of one of his students to the question, "How does a farmer know when his cow is ready for service by the bull?"
The answer given was, "When it has a red Volvo."

Thank goodness the Swedish car that I drive is white!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Vovo - 04/25/01 04:25 PM
When (she) has a red Volvo she is ready for a Rolls in the hay. When it is white, Nova.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Vovo - 04/26/01 06:42 AM
Re: What, are you nuts?
That's me, the nu'ta.

Speaking of things Nordic, did anyone catch that story about some guy in some remote part of Sweden whose Ford 'Ka' was mistaken for a mate by a moose on heat; when the car didn't respond the he moose-handled it and concluded by defecating on it. The poor man has no garage and the forest over the road

© Wordsmith.org