Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Tromboniator Mic vs Mike - 05/11/10 09:03 AM
Back in the Cretaceous, a casual reference to a microphone was rendered on the page as "mike." Nowadays, when I drive past the Champagne Palace, the sign says "Open Mic", and there's just no way that I can avoid pronouncing that as "mick". When did "mic" slip in when I wasn't looking, and is it odd to anyone else? Particularly after the once-near-ubiquity of Bic pens? Is a bicycle now a bic?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/11/10 10:57 AM
I, too, find it odd and want to pronounce it "mick" but it is merely the standard abbreviation for microphone found on the input jack on amps or connection boxes.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/11/10 12:13 PM
well, Open Mike would seem to be something different altogether!!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/11/10 03:38 PM
....depending on how Mike feels about it, yes?
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/12/10 02:16 AM

In my short years, I've always seen it as mic. And I'm not sure the bike analogy holds, unless you intend to pronounce bic "bice".
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/12/10 05:09 AM
Okay, BS(!) and LJ8, thanks for your help. Next time I'll ask Mike.

doc, that's what my daughter, 28 this year, tells me: "Dad, it's ALWAYS been that way." Well, no. You're probably right about bic, though.

Faldage, I don't think I'm talking about an abbreviation here, although that may explain it. I'm trying to think of an analogous example, and I'm failing. Looks as if I'm going to have another high horse shot out from under me.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/12/10 05:11 AM

Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/12/10 05:14 AM
Although, come to think of it, why IS a bicycle called a bike rather than a bice?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/12/10 01:36 PM
why IS a bicycle called a bike rather than a bice?

Because we have a spelling "system" that is broken and unfit for its job.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Mic vs Mike - 05/12/10 06:53 PM
So have we. I cannot find out why our word 'bicycle' - 'rijwiel' became 'fiets' in daily use. Fiets??? That can't be a real word with any origin at all.
The French did it decently in this case; vélocipède - vélo.
The Germans too; Fahrrad - Rad.
But they sure will have other anomalies.
© Wordsmith.org