Wordsmith.org
Posted By: 4whln I can't remember the word - 03/08/10 12:38 PM
I am trying to write a paper explaining that when someone gives you a duty, they should relay to others that you have their full support but I'm only drawing a blank. Is there a better word than "support"?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I can't remember the word - 03/08/10 01:42 PM
backing? patronage?
Posted By: Avy Re: I can't remember the word - 03/08/10 02:27 PM
mandate?
Posted By: beck123 Re: I can't remember the word - 03/08/10 10:39 PM
acting under (or with) their full authority?

This is a big issue in the Navy - probably throughout the military - where a "change of command" is always conducted at a public ceremony in which the new commanding officer's boss is present to place official imprimatur on the authority being vested in the new commanding officer. Public reading of orders, etc. are the order of the day.
Posted By: kah454 Re: I can't remember the word - 03/09/10 01:51 PM
Faith and Confidence?
Posted By: BranShea Re: I can't remember the word - 03/09/10 04:03 PM
It's a bit of a wholesale contribution , but maybe there's something getting you somewhere:
Synonyms: Support
Synonyms: accompaniment (n), backing (n), bread and butter (n), documentation (n), financial backing (n), financial support (n), funding (n), keep (n), livelihood (n), living (n), musical accompaniment (n), reenforcement (n), reinforcement (n), supporting (n), sustenance (n), abide (v), affirm (v), back (v), back up (v), bear (v), bear out (v), bolster (v), bolster up (v), brook (v), confirm (v), corroborate (v), defend (v), endorse (v), endure (v), fend for (v), hold (v), hold up (v), keep going (v), patronage (v), patronise (v), patronize (v), plump for (v), plunk for (v), put up (v), stand (v), stomach (v), subscribe (v), substantiate (v), suffer (v), sustain (v), tolerate (v), underpin (v). (additional references)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: I can't remember the word - 03/09/10 04:07 PM
With all those 4Whln should have something to choose from.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: I can't remember the word - 05/11/10 08:02 AM
I'm sure this is too late, but how about validation?
© Wordsmith.org