Wordsmith.org
Posted By: CaseyJ747 What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"? - 02/25/10 02:31 PM
What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"?

Can anyone share a reference? ...preferably to a source with photographs or sketches.
I ask, because I can find no references, in paper libraries or on the internet.

Well, nothing except the following, which is obviously satire.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Katherine_Harris

Or the following, which hints that a bobbed nose is attractive, but gives no reason why.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/13/garden/parent-child.html?pagewanted=1

And the term "bobbed nose" is used in several works of fiction.

But further, I vaguely remember the news media discussing a fad, back in the 1960s, for women to get cosmetic surgery, to acquire a bobbed nose. Some tell me that, as best as they can remember, a bobbed nose is simply a shortened or smaller nose, similar to the meaning of the verb bob, "to remove or shorten the tail of an animal". On the other hand, I remember that "bobbed nose" on a woman, seemed to mean in the 1960s, a slight increase in the size of the tip of the nose. Among those of northern European ancestry, this quirky characteristic is often considered attractive. Of course the surgically modified nose in the cartoon of Katherine Harris is an exaggeration, for satiric effect, by the editors of the UNcyclopedia.

Casey
Posted By: BranShea Re: What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"? - 02/25/10 11:02 PM
A bit upturned, sort of cute especially for kids. But one split millimeter too much and it'll be a cause for regrets. I think Michael Jackson made a try for a bobbed nose.
Posted By: CaseyJ747 Re: What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"? - 10/03/10 06:03 AM
Perhaps the term "bobbed nose" was a sarcastic way of hinting that cosmetic surgeons were making their patients' noses ridiculously small, which left their patients unattractive because the new nose was too small in proportion to the patient's other features. I offer this guess, since bobbing refers to the removal of part or all of an animal's tail, a drastic change to the animal's appearance and balance.
Posted By: BranShea Re: What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"? - 10/03/10 11:20 AM
Ah, yes isn't there a human type of haircut called 'bobbed' as well? Fashionable at some time?
Posted By: Candy Re: What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"? - 10/03/10 12:02 PM
Maybe it's the opposite of a 'Roman nose' which is soooo long and straight.

Matt Damon has a nice 'bobbed' or button nose.
Posted By: Hal Alexander Re: What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"? - 10/04/10 12:59 PM
If it were a British term I'd guess it had to do with the money spent getting the nose shortened.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What, exactly, is a "bobbed nose"? - 10/04/10 03:16 PM
monderr, you have rudely spammed us.
-ron obvious
© Wordsmith.org