Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu hardy hearty har har - 02/10/10 07:38 PM
ok folks, a quick search brought up nothing here, so I ask-

which is it: hardy har har, or hearty har har, or?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hardy hearty har har - 02/10/10 08:48 PM
hardy har har har, or hardee har har har
link
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: hardy hearty har har - 02/10/10 09:16 PM
which is it: hardy har har, or hearty har har, or?

Well, I've never seen it written out. (See tsuwm's link for that.) And, in my dialect, an intervocalic voiceless dental stop is realized as /ɾ/ (an alveolar flap or tap, see link). (And, that's not a /d/ as some Brits erroneously seem think.)
Posted By: olly Re: hardy hearty har har - 02/10/10 09:18 PM

Har de har har! with a touch of sarcasm thrown in.
Posted By: Faldage Re: hardy hearty har har - 02/11/10 12:08 PM
heh
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cab Calloway - 02/11/10 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: olly

Har de har har! with a touch of sarcasm thrown in.

or that.

anything on Word Origins, Fald?

googles of any of the possibilities are surprisingly quiet.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cab Calloway - 02/11/10 07:22 PM
Does har har not simply come from hear hear? Isn't it mostly said when someone wants to emphasize his ironic , sarcastic or doubting reaction to a thing he/she hears? Or also sometimes as self-critisism?

There are a couple of hars in here: link
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cab Calloway - 02/11/10 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Does har har not simply come from hear hear? Isn't it mostly said when someone wants to emphasize his ironic, sarcastic or doubting reaction to a thing he/she hears? Or also sometimes as self-critisism?

There are a couple of hars in here: link

well the little that I've found suggests ha ha, rather than hear hear, and both make sense, but I'm more interested in the origin, actually. when/who/and what

the meaning/usage seems pretty clear.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cab Calloway - 02/11/10 07:35 PM
I think I hear it when listening to an uproar in English parliament, mixed with all these peculiar murmurations.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cab Calloway - 02/11/10 08:02 PM
aren't those MPs crying "hear hear" in agreement?

Gleason would bellow 'har de har har' in derisive laughter.
Posted By: latishya Re: Cab Calloway - 02/11/10 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

i think so. for some reason this made me think of the ubquity of English. Watching Pakistan in a Test match recently all the mundane chit chat on the field was in Urdu of course, but the instant a batsman skied a ball, eleven Pakistani voices were shouting as one "catch it!". it made me smile and showed how english has strong claim to lingua franca.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cab Calloway - 02/11/10 09:58 PM
Gleason would bellow 'har de har har' in derisive laughter.

smile I bet that 's what they have been doing for ages: hear hear har har hear har... a strange ritual.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: latishya
for some reason this made me think of the ubquity of English.

This reminds me of a tale I read once about a Sesame Street type program that was part of an attempt to instill a colloquial pan-Arabic. Liturgical Arabic is pretty much understood throughout the Muslim world but it isn't quite up to handling many modern situations. Colloquial Arabic is pretty variable across the Arabic speaking world and the Arabic of the western ends of North Africa is pretty much incomprehensible to speakers of, say, Iraqi Arabic. This show was trying to bridge that gap and the show itself was entirely in this pan-Arabic. The language in the control room was English.
Posted By: Avy Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 01:42 AM
In india, the 'common language' that is used when 2-3 other languages exist that all might not know diffrs with the region. In the south, it is firmly English. From Maharashtra up, it is Hindi. In India such a 'everybody understands' language is necessary with 15 official languages. I read somewhere that in switzerland it is not so. The Swiss speak to each other in their own language - German, french or Italian. That makes a lot of sense. It is easy to understand the other language and easier to speak your own.
Is there a word for this "pan lingua language"?
Posted By: latishya Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Avy
The Swiss speak to each other in their own language - German, french or Italian. That makes a lot of sense. It is easy to understand the other language and easier to speak your own.

very true. a sensible approach.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 03:20 AM
...but Switzerdeutsch isn't quite German, na?
Posted By: latishya Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc
...but Switzerdeutsch isn't quite German, na?

a friend who speaks both tells me that this is like saying that hindi is not quite russian. eek
Posted By: Avy Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 07:26 AM
That different? I always thought Swiss German and German were different but similar like Hindi and Bhojpuri.
Posted By: latishya Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 07:39 AM
That different? I always thought Swiss German and German were different but similar like Hindi and Bhojpuri.

i think it was exagerated the swiss seem proud that they can understand high german but not the other way round.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 09:19 AM
Here are two links to Schweizer Deutsch. The second is a fairy tale you can listen to. About a swineherd. I've listened three times. It is closer to German than Frisian is to Dutch. It starts like most fairy tales with "Lange her"..... Long time ago.
(sorry, always like to see/hear what we are talking about)
woerter

fairytale
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 11:12 AM
Schweizer Deutsch

Most educated Swiss Germans speak Hochdeutsch (Swiss Standard German) as well as Schweizerdeutsch (Schwyzerdütsch). The two languages (or sets of dialects) are not as far apart from one another as Hindi and Russian, more like Dutch and Standard German.
Posted By: latishya Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Schweizer Deutsch
The two languages (or sets of dialects) are not as far apart from one another as Hindi and Russian,

i did say the coment was exagerated.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 11:23 AM
Schweizer Deutsch
The two languages (or sets of dialects) are not as far apart from one another as Hindi and Russian,

One might even say "over exaggerated".
Posted By: latishya Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Schweizer Deutsch

One might even say "over exaggerated".

yes. i do not speak any type of german or russian but even i could tell the intent was to boast in the 'difference' of the swiss version over the standard one.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 12:15 PM
I was cross-threading.
Posted By: Avy Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 02:35 PM
How do you know the intention was to boast, Mr. Smarty Pants? Maybe the intention was to douse any expectation one language might have over the other that the other might not be able to fullfil. Not all languages are equal you know. Some are more equal than others.....er... Well anyway, not all quite make the mark.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: london's stone piggery - 02/12/10 03:57 PM
Not all languages are equal you know. Some are more equal than others.....er... Well anyway, not all quite make the mark.

Well, linguistically speaking all languages are equal. Socio-politically speaking some are less equal than others.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage

Hey! My thread got crossed! (It's okay; I'm a knitter...)
Posted By: latishya Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 06:41 PM
How do you know the intention was to boast, Mr. Smarty Pants?

because i know the friend who said it and the context of the conversation which it was said in.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 07:26 PM
so not much on the history of hardy har har, eh?

:¬ P
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 10:36 PM
Next proposition: a corruption of 'hark'. So it's from way way back somewhere.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cab Calloway - 02/12/10 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu

what, you've never had a thread hijacked before??
- joe (and you've been here *how many years?) friday
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cab Calloway - 02/13/10 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu

what, you've never had a thread hijacked before??
- joe (and you've been here *how many years?) friday

heh

only eight years or something.... :¬ )
Posted By: Avy Re: Cab Calloway - 02/13/10 01:15 AM
Okay then let's corrupt the hark. At least friendships will not be damaged in the process. Does it matter that I do not know what a hark is? Oh wait! Ignorance maybe synonymous to boasting. Let's ask latishya's friend! Or ask latishya to ask latishya's friend.
Edited to add: hardy hardy hark hark
Posted By: Joanie 666 Re: Cab Calloway - 02/15/10 06:12 PM
Doesn't it drive you nuts when they ruin a word by adopting some worthless negative definition as the dominate one? Jeez! Say the word God! But just try my pet peeve...What was that word again???
I just ranted about it!!! Oh well. Eliminated that one from my vocabulary.
Posted By: Joanie 666 Re: Cab Calloway - 02/15/10 06:15 PM
DIDACTIC!!!
sorry...
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cab Calloway - 02/15/10 07:28 PM
Does it matter that I do not know what a hark is?

Not at all. Wasn't it: "Hark, the Herald Angels sing?" smile
© Wordsmith.org