Wordsmith.org
Posted By: the rabbi hascent - 12/18/09 05:56 PM
Harvey Cox in his book, The Future of Faith, used the word "hascent." It is not in oed.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: hascent - 12/18/09 06:10 PM
"H" is just above "N" on a keyboard. Could he have meant "nascent?"
Posted By: dalehileman Re: hascent - 12/18/09 06:48 PM
rabbi, to save us the trouble could you provide a link for those of us not so literate; meanwhile was he a smoker

edited referring the reader to "Something" link in post # 188364

...but if this will save you any trouble,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sourc...h&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Incidentally for the techs amongst us, zm and tsu for instance, why didn't the first link automatically get processed

Forgive me though for having forgotten how one does that manually, i'm too old for major reform amongst the algorithms

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 12/18/09 07:09 PM
Here's the quote, as from the online copy at Amazon.com:

"During the first two and a half centuries of its life, the hascent Christian movement flourished despite periodic persecutions.." link

this certainly appears to be a typo, for nascent, no?
-ron o.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 12/18/09 08:21 PM

it appears (from the page source) that there are no link tags associated with that url.. as to *why there are no tags, I couldn't begin to guess -- I've noticed that happens with many of your posts, so it must be something you're doing.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hascent - 12/19/09 12:32 AM
yeah, and it wideys my screen....

use url tags.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: hascent - 12/19/09 09:03 PM

it appears.....there are no link tags associated with that url.. .......so it must be something you're doing. [/quote]

No doubt you're quite right. Next time I'll try refreshing the address before I copy it to a post
Posted By: dalehileman Re: hascent - 12/19/09 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
yeah, and it wideys my screen....

use url tags.

Mine too and I am just as bewildered

..though I had assumed the url tags are part of the address but if not don't you suppose they should be
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hascent - 12/19/09 09:16 PM
no. do this:
[ url=insert the url here]put whatever here (not the whole url, unless it's short)[/ url]

all of that without the spaces I snuck in there.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: hascent - 12/19/09 09:21 PM
Thanks Buff I shall try it herewith:

Alas, apparently it didn't work
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hascent - 12/19/09 10:18 PM
yes, it does

you have to put a ] after the url, and then something before the [/url]
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 12/19/09 10:52 PM
yes, it does

but, getting back to the question in the OP, that link doesn't fit the context of the Cox citation, at all.
-joe (trying to steer matters right) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: hascent - 12/19/09 11:35 PM
Tuber morphology, germination behaviour and propagation efficiency in three …
K Joseph John, VT Antony, J Marydas, R … - Genetic Resources and …, 2009 - Springer
... In undisturbed pots, it was 60, 120 and 128 days, respectively. Invariably all the
three species started sprouting by the end of Febru- ary. Moisture loss and aeration
may be the factors responsible for hascent (early) sprouting. ...

Link
Posted By: dalehileman Re: hascent - 12/20/09 12:38 AM
yes, it does

Ok here goes:

Something

Well thanks Buff I guess it worked although the result isn't quite what I had expected

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 12/20/09 01:14 AM
>the factors responsible for hascent (early) sprouting

again, just another typo for nascent, I fear.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hascent - 12/20/09 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
yes, it does

Ok here goes:

Something

Well thanks Buff I guess it worked although the result isn't quite what I had expected

good! now please fix the first one. and tsu might need to fix his (quote), too?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: hascent - 12/20/09 06:22 PM
Well Buff I fixed it--somewehat haphazardly to be sure--but page 1 is still too wide. Evidently we're hopelessly at the mercy of Bill--or is it Mac

However the "Something" link is not quite what I had expected. Normally when I copy a url from another web site the AWAD algorithm automatically curtails it if necessary, inserting a surrogate carriage return ostensibly to prevent the "widening" effect but maintaining its appearance as a url

So forgive me Buff but based on the assumption that I had copied or pasted the url too hastily or made some other sort of mistake, I went back to the site and very carefully copied the url once more which I am very gingerly pasting below with the utmost caution

Edited to remark that, well, it didn't work this time either; I really did mean well with my most sincere apologies for my lack of skill. Perhaps you can suggest some means before copying and pasting by which I can eaily identify a url as substandard or beyond the capability of the AWAD routine to process and a means to quickly and easily modify it into a more nearly acceptable form. Thank you again for all your help and patience

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hascent - 12/20/09 07:02 PM
forget it...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: hascent - 12/20/09 07:39 PM
As the intricacies of negotiating the algorithm apparently buffalo many of us (Shrd forgive me), I have largely rephrased the knotty conundrum, hoping Admin might be more familiar with it and quickly offer its resolution:

http://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/188369/Admin_need_help#Post188369
Posted By: BranShea Re: hascent - 12/20/09 07:44 PM
I'll add an a no-answer answer. Hopefully it will turn the page so this will be slimmed down again. The topic is lost once more in Dale's hypo-linking.
Posted By: latishya Re: hascent - 12/20/09 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I'll add an a no-answer answer. Hopefully it will turn the page so this will be slimmed down again. The topic is lost once more in Dale's hypo-linking.

not for me. there really are advantages to using the ignore function.
Posted By: BranShea Re: hascent - 12/20/09 08:10 PM
Maybe a season's poem will turn the page

The Oxen

CHRISTMAS EVE, and twelve of the clock.
'Now they are all on their knees'
An elder said as we sat in a flock
By the embers in hearthside ease.

We pictured the meek mild creatures where
They dwelt in their strawy pen,
Nor did it occur to one of us there
To doubt they were kneeling then.

So fair a fancy few would weave
In these years! Yet, I feel,
If someone said on Christmas Eve,
"Come; see the oxen kneel

'In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
Our childhood used to know,'
I should go with him in the gloom,
Hoping it would be so.

Thomas Hardy

Posted By: BranShea Re: hascent - 12/20/09 08:15 PM
And then I will repost the post I did that was on topic of hascent :

K Joseph John, VT Antony, J Marydas, R … - Genetic Resources and …, 2009 - Springer
... In undisturbed pots, it was 60, 120 and 128 days, respectively. Invariably all the
three species started sprouting by the end of Febru- ary. Moisture loss and aeration

Link

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 12/20/09 08:23 PM
>for hascent (early) sprouting.

yet another (repeated) typo for nascent, I fear. crazy
-ron o.
Posted By: BranShea Re: hascent - 12/20/09 08:54 PM
That means the Spanish and the English made the same typo?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 12/20/09 09:09 PM
I'm not thinking of the typist, but rather the keyboard. and I assume that both keyboards (in these two cases) had the H just above the N.
-joe (it's not much of a reach) friday
Posted By: olly Re: hascent - 12/21/09 02:01 AM
both keyboards (in these two cases) had the H just above the N.

Most do. Others such as the Turkish F layout (The H being next to rather than above) have almost been phased out and those that dont have latinised characters are slightly different. Most other differences are either 'Shift'ed' or 'Alt'ed'.
Posted By: Jackie Re: hascent - 12/21/09 02:12 AM
Okay--I took out the long URLs and quotes; that seems to have fixed it.

Dale, I'll PM you with what I took out and where it was from, in case it was information you wanted to save.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hascent - 12/21/09 03:20 AM
thanks, Jackie. my post with the link "yes, it does", (#188358) still has the link embedded, as does dale's subsequent "Something" link...
Posted By: Jackie Re: hascent - 12/22/09 01:59 AM
Is the thread still wide for you, Honey? It's normal for me.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hascent - 12/22/09 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Is the thread still wide for you, Honey? It's normal for me.

no, it's fine now. I just wanted to let you know that the info dale might need is still in the "properly" formatted links.

you done good! :¬ )
Posted By: Jackie Re: hascent - 12/22/09 03:31 AM
[bow] grin
Posted By: goldenloom Re: hascent - 01/21/10 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Link

Some of the quotes with hascent (like the Cox one, and this ) do seem to be a straightforward mistyping of nascent, but this germination quote stands out. Sprouting is itself a nascent state, so it is redundant to describe it as one. "Nascent sprouting" also doesn't express what is told through context, which is that the sprouting is not so much nascent as it is hastened. I've seen the word hascent once before, and I wonder if it is similar to hastened and somehow slipped through the cracks.
Posted By: BranShea Re: hascent - 01/21/10 07:47 PM
(your link)", there is a major difference between the nascent entrepreneurs and the comparison group; the hascent entrepreneurs are more active, with 40% reporting two or more activities" .... etc.

Here it looks like it's only used once, which makes it appear some wordplay of the writer of the statistics as there is only mentioning of 'comparison group' for the rest of it. But if you have seen it used elsewhere it may be growing into a real word.

welcome
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 01/21/10 07:57 PM
>a real word

bushwa. (now there's a real word. : )

which is to say, I'm still in the H apposed to N camp.
Posted By: Faldage Re: hascent - 01/22/10 01:00 AM
Nascent is from the Latin nasci, 'to be born'. If anyone can scare up a Latin word anything like hasci, 'to be early' I'll leave tsuwm's camp. Until then I'm with the typo-for-nascent theory.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: hascent - 01/22/10 01:39 AM
Latin word anything like hasci, 'to be early'

Nope. I vote for nascent also.
Posted By: BranShea Re: hascent - 01/22/10 04:33 PM
But why can't it be a spontaneous mutation word? Must it be traced back to Latin?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: hascent - 01/22/10 04:38 PM
But why can't it be a spontaneous mutation word?

It is. It' a typo. Funny enough, Google Books returned a lot of ghits for hascent, but upon inspection they all turned out to be misreadings for nascent.

Must it be traced back to Latin?

Nope, but some of us here enjoy the chase immensely. Others prefer just speculatin', which is okay, too.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hascent - 01/22/10 04:58 PM
you could always add it to one of those 'open dictionaries' - that would make it "real" in no time at all.

edit: I'd love to work on the etymology..
[fr. nascent, through keyboard apposition]
Posted By: twosleepy Re: hascent - 01/23/10 06:05 AM
You crossthreading fiend, you...
© Wordsmith.org