Wordsmith.org
Posted By: latishya b words for valuable - 11/19/09 10:37 PM
are there any synonyms for valuable or precious that start with b?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: b words for valuable - 11/19/09 11:08 PM
valuable : admired, appreciated, beneficial, cherished, collectible, costly, dear, esteemed, estimable, expensive, heirloom, held dear, helpful, high-priced, hot property, hot, important, in demand, inestimable, invaluable, of value, precious, prized, profitable, relevant, respected, scarce, serviceable, treasured, useful, valued, worthwhile, worthy [EA]

for another sense of precious, read beloved
Posted By: latishya Re: b words for valuable - 11/19/09 11:26 PM
thank you.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: b words for valuable - 11/21/09 06:03 PM
lat you have uncovered a most remarkable aberration that surely cannot be coincidental. I am wondering how you happened upon it or wether you might offer a theory accounting for it
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/21/09 07:36 PM
Have you noticed at all that your asked for adjective was found?
intermittantly
Posted By: dalehileman Re: b words for valuable - 11/21/09 10:33 PM
Bran thank you for bringing this to my attention though I was looking for a term that might specify intermittent but with period of several years. Evidently there just isn't such a word
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/21/09 10:50 PM
Never heard of intermittent multiple sclerosis? That ìs or at least that can be with irregular periods of several years. And that is still the best form of it you can have.
Posted By: latishya Re: b words for valuable - 11/21/09 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Never heard of intermittant multiple sclerosis?

i have not heard it called intermittent. the term i have heard is relapsing-remitting MS.
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/21/09 11:41 PM
"Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - Some medications such as beta interferon are helpful to people with the intermittent form of multiple sclerosis. (Source: excerpt from Understanding ...
wrongdiagnosis.com/.../multiple_sclerosis/intro.htm etc.

Maybe it is only in use this way in these regions. I know the term relapsing-remitting as well.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: b words for valuable - 11/22/09 05:54 PM
I admire you guys' scholarship and persistence. I'd guess relapsing or remitting might bear a sort of negative connotation whereas intermittent is more neutral and thus the best form as Bran says

However I'm still not convinced that intermittently implies that elusive unspecified period
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/22/09 06:34 PM
Relapsing-remitting and intermittent are one and the same form of this illness. Both equally bad, but a little better than the progressive form. Just forget the elusive unspecified period.
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 01:35 AM
Unequiennial

or Irregennial
Posted By: Jackie Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 01:55 AM
Wot?
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 02:20 AM
a term that might specify intermittent but with period of several years [EA]
Posted By: Faldage Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 03:39 AM
Wot I wanna know is how did this whuzzyennial stuff get into this precious starting with a b thread?
Posted By: latishya Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 04:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Wot I wanna know is how did this whuzzyennial stuff get into this precious starting with a b thread?

you were not the only one wondering that.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage

I'm innocent. See 4th reply on page 1 by Bran
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 06:26 PM
I'm not innocent. But then I never presumed to be. Hm... we ran out of b's for precious very quickly.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 11:14 PM
Oh but I tried, using Thesaurus.com concluding there are few if any more

But I am still wondering how this remarkable b phenom can be coincidental so suggest you pose it as a separate thread
Posted By: latishya Re: b words for valuable - 11/23/09 11:53 PM
I'm not innocent. But then I never presumed to be. Hm... we ran out of b's for precious very quickly.

I have dalehileman blocked so I don't see his odious posts but your first post in this thread was in reply to one of his so i am guessing it was he who dragged the thread off topic.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: b words for valuable - 11/24/09 12:54 AM
BranS posted this, dragging us off-topic
Quote:
Have you noticed at all that your asked for adjective was found?
intermittantly

not that being dragged off-topic is all that unusual hereabouts.
-ron o.
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/24/09 10:11 AM
Dear latishya,
in post 8. of this thread (which might be post 7. to you in this case), you replied to my off-track remark to Dale as he happened to step in on b - precious. From there on it hobbled on. Cause and result are not always clearly distinguishable. Not Dale's fault here. On the previous page I have alread pleaded guilty of the fatal side step.
BTW, I have tried to find more words with b, but what tsuwm offered in his answer , post 2. is about all there is.

To me it proves that blocking out people is not practical. We've had confusions because of this before. ( no names named ).
If you don't like the subject, skip the thread, if you don't like the posts of someone, skip the posts . If in the meantime you have blocked me too, you will not read this answer.
Posted By: latishya Re: b words for valuable - 11/24/09 10:25 AM
Dear latishya,
if you don't like the posts of someone, skip the posts

which is exactly what the ignore function makes very easy and is why I use it.
Posted By: Faldage Re: b words for valuable - 11/24/09 11:33 AM
I have tried to find more words with b, but what tsuwm offered in his answer , post 2. is about all there is.

And a pretty poor synonym it is, IMNSHO.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: b words for valuable - 11/24/09 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: latishya
I'm not innocent........

I have dalehileman blocked so I don't see his odious posts.......so i am guessing it was he......

No, no lat, it wasn't though it was I who helped maintain it and so if I have seriously violated protocol I apologize profusely for such insufferable odium, however unintended

My how complex the Megillah when we first stray from decorum

Bran I think I love you
Posted By: tsuwm Re: b words for valuable - 11/24/09 07:02 PM
Dear latishya,
in post 8. of this thread (which might be post 7. to you in this case)...
To me it proves that blocking out people is not practical. We've had confusions because of this before. ( no names named ).
If you don't like the subject, skip the thread, if you don't like the posts of someone, skip the posts . If in the meantime you have blocked me too, you will not read this answer.

guilty as unnamed. for those who haven't tried "ignore this user",
what happens is that that user's posts are still in evidence, with
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

shown in the post field.. so you can toggle (which only affects that post) if your curiosity gets the better of you.
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/24/09 07:32 PM
Yeh, well, I think you don't know me. I just don't need no buttons to ignore certain items that are certain people's hobbyhorses.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: b words for valuable - 11/25/09 04:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out why not having a synonym that starts with B is so remarkable.
Posted By: BranShea Re: b words for valuable - 11/25/09 08:26 PM
It isn't. Nor is diverting from the original topic a big deal.
Happens nearly al the time.
© Wordsmith.org