Wordsmith.org
Posted By: roberdj Dispatch or Despatch - 10/13/09 10:01 PM
I am an employee of Canada Post and for years I have seen the use of despatch or dispatch to describe the act of sending mail from one location or depot to another. I have not been able to discern which is the correct word. Can somebody settle this issue and do differing uses between American usage and "The Queen's English" come into play?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dispatch or Despatch - 10/13/09 10:21 PM
The New York Times Saturday Review of Books: Dr. Walter W. Skeat. in "An Etymological Dictionary of the English Language," treating of this word, derives it from the low Latin "dispedicare." through the old French "despecher," and modern French "depecher." and says: "The spoiling 'dispatch' is very common, but 'despatch ' is the more correct."
Posted By: Faldage Re: Dispatch or Despatch - 10/13/09 11:46 PM
So if you want to spoil your mail, dispatch it. Otherwise despatch it.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Dispatch or Despatch - 10/14/09 02:31 AM
My beloved Maverick, who is British, e-mailed me the other day about one of Anu's despatches. Personally I use dispatch. So tsu me.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Dispatch or Despatch - 10/14/09 11:20 AM
Probably it's a BrE/AmE thing. Since you're CaE you're probably sitting on the fence.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Dispatch or Despatch - 10/14/09 11:40 AM
dispatch is pretty much the only way I've seen/used it. despatch just looks wrong to my eyes, though I know it's not.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: color or colour - 10/14/09 01:27 PM
Ditto, old bean.
Posted By: Zed Re: color or colour - 10/15/09 06:46 AM
Hmm, We Canadians do seem to be on the fence. I would dispatch (send) something with despatch (haste.)
Welcome roberdj.
Posted By: Jackie Re: color or colour - 10/16/09 01:30 AM
We Canadians do seem to be on the fence. Want some pain reliever for that? wink
© Wordsmith.org