Wordsmith.org
Posted By: vanderoux When things go ary (spelling?) - 09/30/09 03:47 AM
I recently wanted to use the expression "when things go ary (not correct spelling)", but then realised I had no idea how to spell the last word. My Word spellcheck and numerous search on Google (until I has brandished as an automated searcher/spam robot) came up with nothing.

Has anybody perhaps come across this expression and can help me out regarding the spelling of this word.

Maybe there is even a good etymological story behind the expression you can share. From my searches it is clear there are quite a few people who have no consensus on the spelling and probably the background of this phrase although they continue to use it (mostly in speech).
Posted By: BranShea Re: When things go ary (spelling?) - 09/30/09 07:09 AM
Did you no mean "when things go awry"?
reference
Posted By: vanderoux Re: When things go ary (spelling?) - 09/30/09 07:14 AM
Yes, thanks. I just had the pronunciation wrong.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: When things go ary (spelling?) - 09/30/09 10:10 AM
It's spelled awry, and it's related to the adjective wry as in "wry humor". Wry is from a Middle English verb wrien 'to turn'. It is related to English writhe, Latin vertere 'to turn' from PIE *wer- 'to turn'; also versus.
Posted By: latishya Re: When things go ary (spelling?) - 09/30/09 10:26 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
It's spelled awry, and it's related to the adjective wry as in "wry humor". Wry is from a Middle English verb wrien 'to turn'. It is related to English writhe, Latin vertere 'to turn' from PIE *wer- 'to turn'; also versus.

is it related to agley?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: When things go ary (spelling?) - 09/30/09 10:46 AM
is it related to agley?

Only semantically, not etymologically.
© Wordsmith.org