Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Twentiethman Cagey - 09/09/09 04:14 PM
Today's word was cagey. Basketball players are often called cagers from the idea that a Basketball Court is often enclosed with a fence to facilitate the retrieval of the loose ball. Cagey then, carries the sense of an ability to move about freely in a confined and otherwise crowded place. maneuvering. Tricky.
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Cagey - 09/10/09 01:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Twentiethman
Today's word was cagey. Basketball players are often called cagers from the idea that a Basketball Court is often enclosed with a fence to facilitate the retrieval of the loose ball. Cagey then, carries the sense of an ability to move about freely in a confined and otherwise crowded place. maneuvering. Tricky.

Though I find the use of "cagers" interesting, I don't see any relationship to the subsequent definitions. Or is this an attepmt at hogwash?
Posted By: hogmaster Re: Cagey - 09/10/09 01:57 AM
I think the proffered explanation for cager is just a bad guess.
see this def'n for cage, quoted from W3:

9 a : a movable screen placed behind home plate to stop baseballs during batting practice b : a goal structure consisting of goalposts or a goal frame with a net attached (as in ice hockey) c : a basketball basket

thus, by extension, cager : a basketball player
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cagey - 09/10/09 10:29 AM
The proffered explanation dates from the early days of Xtreme Basketball, when the two teams were locked in a cage and nobody got out alive except the MVP of the winning team.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cagey - 09/10/09 01:08 PM
you're roamin' a bit for that one, Fald...

:¬ )
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cagey - 09/11/09 01:35 AM
Yeahbut (sigh, Mav) can he afford the extra charge?
© Wordsmith.org