Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Attycool Future anniversary - is there a word? - 07/28/09 05:35 PM
Hi, my sister has posed a conundrum. Is there a word for anniversary which implies it's a future anniversary instead of a past one; a predicted or expected date?

E.g. "The [blank] of the newly founded party falls on March 20th in four years"

Anniversary means a revisiting of something that has already happened.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Attycool
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Future anniversary - is there a word? - 07/28/09 08:01 PM
Well, in my off-the-cuff and I'm-not-an-expert way, the use of anniversary in that sentence is perfectly correct, because although the date lies in the future, at that future time it will be an anniversary. No implicatory term is needed, as the sentence explicitly notes "...in four years". My question is, how could an anniversary be celebrated four years in the future? Wouldn't that be a quadrennial or something?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Future anniversary - is there a word? - 07/28/09 10:59 PM
I'm with twosleepy here with the addition that it would be the fourth anniversary that will be celebrated on March 20th in four years. The fact that you are stating that it will be in the future seems enough to me to signify that it will be in the future.
Posted By: Attycool Re: Future anniversary - is there a word? - 07/30/09 09:29 AM
Thanks for this, I was thinking I might end up here. But you know, when you just WANT a word?

You're right about the four-year thing, it wasn't a very good example!

Atty
Aty: Probably you've alrady been here but if not

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=forthcoming+anniversary
© Wordsmith.org