Wordsmith.org
Posted By: arch_sh Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 10:42 AM
What is the single word for having a 'Habit or Attitude of always postoning work for a later time'
Posted By: BranShea Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 11:23 AM
Hi, in the English Collins dictionary there is the word used in many countries for this accommodating habit: mañana.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 12:11 PM
welcome, arch!

procrastinating? or lazy?

or perhaps there just isn't a one-word solution....

:¬ p
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 03:17 PM
"Postponer" or of course "procrastinator" fit exactly if you're willing to settle for a noun. Otherwise if you're willing to wade through them,

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=postpone-work

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 03:18 PM
you don't like procrastination? how about dilitariness? or cunctation?!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 05:06 PM
Will look it up after I've done this post. At first sight cunctation looks like meaning 'a conspiracy'.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
you don't like procrastination? how about dilitariness? or cunctation?!

dilatoriness, perhaps?

or is dilitariness someone in the army that has a hard time getting going?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 05:24 PM
no, dilitariness is 'can't be bothered to pay any attention to Wordsmith's spell-check, because it's usually wrong anyway'.
-joe (like there, it just complained about "Wordsmith's") friday
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 06:24 PM
heh
Posted By: Faldage Re: Habit to postpone - 04/03/09 10:41 PM
Wordsmith has a spell checker?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Habit to postpone - 04/04/09 03:42 AM
>Wordsmith has a spell checker?

it's an automagical part of the Posting form. as you type your message in the Post box, it underlines words in red that it can't find in its word list. just then, it underlined automagical.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Habit to postpone - 04/04/09 11:23 AM
I thought that was the browser doing that. Lemme see:

Zublshpritsch.

Yup. It's the browser, or either the OS, one. Looks like the OS.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Habit to postpone - 04/04/09 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I thought that was the browser doing that. Lemme see:

Zublshpritsch.

Yup. It's the browser, or either the OS, one. Looks like the OS.

how can you tell?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Habit to postpone - 04/04/09 04:38 PM
It was marked as a misspelling in this forum with Firefox. I added it to the dictionary and went to another forum, also in Firefox and it was not marked as a misspelling. I then went to Opera in yet another forum and it was still not marked as a misspelling. QED.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Habit to postpone - 04/04/09 09:44 PM
I see that both Firefox and Google Chrome (and I assume IE as well) have built-in spell checkers that check what you're typing into web forms and text fields. These seem to be enabled by default, but you can disable them through tools/options. They allow you to add dictionaries or to add single words. You seem to be describing something that works at the OS level which overrides this!

edit: upon further investigation I see that Firefox has convoluted instructions on how to delete a word you've previously added to your dictionary, whereas Chrome warns that "At this time, it's not possible to remove a word from the dictionary."

edit²: interestingly (at least to a browser nerd), where firefox and chrome both suggest automatic and 'auto magic' (for automagic), Safari helpfully adds auto-magic. (I added automagically to the firefox dictionary (all suggest Firefox for the latter), and it is not recognized outside of firefox.) if you copy text into the form, errors are not caught unless you happen to move the cursor through a misspelled word.
© Wordsmith.org