Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Iscah Heretofore, etc - 03/19/09 03:35 PM

You are undoubtedly the experts I need for this topic! Is there a specific word to describe words like heretofore, nevertheless, thereunto, etc - legalistic adverbs formed by the combination of a series of smaller words?

Thanks!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/20/09 03:03 PM
Sorry, Isca, welcome, but I'm nonwhatsoever the expert you need on this issue. I know they are out there......I hope you'll get your answer.
Posted By: Zed Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/21/09 06:56 AM
Unnecessary? grin
Posted By: BranShea Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/21/09 08:46 AM
herefromeverafter? smile tja..
Posted By: Iscah Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/21/09 02:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome, BranShea! I'm still hoping :-) They are sort of silly words - isn't it funny that they're all used in overly formal legal documents?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/21/09 02:19 PM

Welcome, Iscah. Keep your computer on, they will come.
(Something akin to "if you build it they will come".)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/21/09 02:37 PM
I'd call 'em compound adverbs. A perennial question, owing much to the unsystematic orthography that English has been saddled with, is when to use hyphens, spaces, or nothing at all. Why pick on adverbs or conjunctions, while passing over nouns and other parts of speech in silence? Why babysitter instead of baby-sitter, or into instead of in to? Why do not but cannot? And baseball used to be base-ball, but it changed a long while ago. The list is endless.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/21/09 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
And baseball used to be base-ball, but it changed a long while ago. The list is endless.

Nevertheless, it started off as base ball. Sobeit.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/22/09 04:37 PM
Is: I'd like to know too. So if you're patient enough and can find it, please do report back:

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=meaning+heretofore%2C+nevertheless%2C+thereunto

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/22/09 05:01 PM
once again, the strange obsession with having just one word for *everything. what, exactly, is wrong with jim's excellent suggestion: compound adverbs

as jim also suggests, spelling of these (spaced, hyphenated, or joined) is much more of an issue than naming the concept, n'est-ce pas?

-joe (Avoid compound adverbs like heretofore, therefore, and so on; they will make your writing sound brittle and overly formal.) friday
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/22/09 05:17 PM

Qu'est-ce que c'est: Sobeit, so-be-it, so be it. Amen.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/22/09 05:31 PM
Quoth the raven, "Neverthemoreorless."
Posted By: BranShea Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/22/09 10:51 PM
What quoth the albatros?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/22/09 11:06 PM
"get off my neck!"
Posted By: Zed Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/23/09 06:27 AM
Hey Iscah, welcome and glad we could help. crazy
Posted By: Iscah Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/23/09 03:26 PM
Well, Compound adverbs was my first response, too. But I confess that the root of my question is actually a friend, who is seeking a particularly perplexing crossword answer, and I guess compound adverb doesn't fit the bill. Given that English has a startling number of words which define very precise things ("We needed a word for that?") I thought I'd investigate.

New information suggests that the answer will likely be a compound itself - _ _R_E WORDS. (I'm guessing at the 'words' part, the crossword puzzle complete currently has _ _ R _ E _ O _ D S. Surely, now that I'm given that, something clever rather than an obscure definition.

Zmjezhd, I submit that while most of your points are perfectly valid, in terms of 'why this and not that', our heavy reliance on prepositions in English make 'into' generally mean something quite different from 'in to'.

Thanks, everyone, for your help! If someone does come up with that very precise definition, I'd still quite like to know it!
Posted By: Iscah Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/23/09 03:52 PM
All has become clear- the answer, obviously, is that both nevertheless and heretofore are THREE WORDS.

Thanks, folks - sorry to abuse the forum for a crossword question, although I think my initial inquiry could still result in something interesting!
Quote:
_ _ R _ E _ O _ D S > THREE WORDS

Surely, now that I'm given that, something clever rather than an obscure definition.

<groan> yes; clever in the crosswordese sense only.
-joe (got me searchin' for a word of [fool's] gold) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/23/09 05:11 PM
Nah, it's ee R i E w O r D S
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/23/09 05:51 PM
I submit that while most of your points are perfectly valid, in terms of 'why this and not that', our heavy reliance on prepositions in English make 'into' generally mean something quite different from 'in to'.

Yes, into is not the same thing as in to, but the to in to be or not to be is also quite different from the to in I gave the book to Jill and they're spelled the same.

Hope you stick around longer and post now that your crossword dilemma has been addressed.
Posted By: Iscah Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/24/09 03:14 AM
Yes, that is an issue, isn't it? 'To' is an inherent part of the infinitive form in English, and yet a completely separate word, which is odd enough in itself, but then to have it be the same word as the preposition! We need excessive homophone police. (This rapidly becomes clear when teaching English as a second language!)

However, as an English teacher, I beg mercy - the last thing we need in yet another spelling of 'to/too/two' tu teach!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/24/09 11:03 AM
To is used as an auxiliary word with the infinitive in one use of the infinitive. There's no to 'I can write this.'
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/24/09 12:28 PM
(This rapidly becomes clear when teaching English as a second language!)

Even better than learning a second language is teaching one. The to in the English infinitival form is related to the preposition to. That much can be ascertained by parallel constructions in other Germanic languages and in some Romance ones.

I once listened to a historical linguist give a good lecture on the particles of a language: all those little parts of speech left overs like preopositions, adverbs, verbal particles, etc. The preposition problem is English was exacerbated by the lose of case in the nominal paradigms ...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/24/09 12:32 PM
There's no to 'I can write this.'

Same sitch in German, you have as in er will lernen 'he wants to learn' vs er hatt Lust, den Dom zu besichtigen 'he'd like to visit the cathedral'.

[Addendum: In Indo-European languages, the infinitival forms are thought to have developed after the break up into daughter dialects. (Cf. Latin -Vre, Greek -ειν (-ein), Sanskrit -tum, and Germanic -Vn.]
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/24/09 01:35 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
There's no to 'I can write this.'

Same sitch in German, you have as in er will lernen 'he wants to learn' vs er hatt Lust, den Dom zu besichtigen 'he'd like to visit the cathedral'.

[Addendum: In Indo-European languages, the infinitival forms are thought to have developed after the break up into daughter dialects. (Cf. Latin -Vre, Greek -ειν (-ein), Sanskrit -tum, and Germanic -Vn.]

(didja have html on?) wink
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Heretofore, etc - 03/25/09 01:24 PM
(didja have html on?)

Nope, but I do now.
© Wordsmith.org