Wordsmith.org
I mean...these ones you see here on the web site....just reading it seems to me not enough....
any technique?
Use it? Sing it? Play with it?
Using it is a good way, the more the better, and sooner rather than later, but that presupposes that you have some use for the word.
Form a mental picture, a footpath for "pathological. " For emphasis you might imagine yourself dead ahead, writhing upon the trail

Just use it that day with everyone you meet.
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

In the case of what I call the type-3 word, that practice may raise some eyebrows

In further answer to unci, I keep a notebook beside my PC and a pad at the head of the bed where I record it when I encounter a type-2 that I'd like to use more often
Originally Posted By: dalehileman

In the case of what I call the type-3 word, that practice may raise some eyebrows

In further answer to unci, I keep a notebook beside my PC and a pad at the head of the bed where I record it when I encounter a type-2 that I'd like to use more often

I guess being a teacher people just expected weird stuff from me like saying a "strange"
word around them. Sometimes they'd ask what it meant, other times, they'd just shrug
their shoulders, roll their eyes and point with their jaw, as if to say: "Yeah, he's
always like that".
Anyhow what is your definition of a type2 or type 3 word??? Length of spelling,
number of syllables, maybe??
http://wordsmith.org/awad/search.html?cx=partner-pub-0068747404870456%3A118gxl-7atb&cof=FORID%3A11&q=type-2+tpe-3+conversational&sa=Search
Posted By: majan Re: how do you usually remember a new word??? - 02/05/09 01:34 PM
by writing a sentence containing the word is in my experience a very good way of fixing the word. incidentally what are class 2 or class 3 ( and certainly class 1 ) words
Parboly Dale could splain it mo bettah than me, but a Class 1 word is one that purty much ever one could unnerstan; a class 2 word is one that you kinda gotta have some book-larnin to git an a Class 3 word is one that has ever body scratchin they heads as to whut is that feller talkin bout.
maj please see link above

Edited to direct you instead with apologies to my next post below
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Parboly Dale could splain it mo bettah than me, but a Class 1 word is one that purty much ever one could unnerstan; a class 2 word is one that you kinda gotta have some book-larnin to git an a Class 3 word is one that has ever body scratchin they heads as to whut is that feller talkin bout.

Hey, finally, I get it now. Sorry Dale, but your answer meant nothing to me. I figure
the http thingie meant look it up somewhere, but could not get the whole thing into
a google space correctly.

Unless there is an easier way to go to that spot without typing it all in a space, and
being still less than 2 years on the computer, I do not know how.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: beyond blue event horizons - 02/06/09 06:30 PM
into a google space correctly

That's like a hubble sphere (link), innit?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: beyond blue event horizons - 02/06/09 09:36 PM
Pretty cool. I love astronomy. Did not quite get all the
math-linked ideas, but that's OK. Dale's link (or whatever
it is) is sort of like that, yes, thanks for the
simile.
[quote=Faldage]
Unless there is an easier way to go to that spot without typing it all in a space, and
being still less than 2 years on the computer, I do not know how.
Copy and paste the whole mesjpogge in the internet-adress-window top of the page and you'll get it. But in this case Dale did not complete his search so you'll get to the point where he got stuck. That 1.2.3. thread must have jumped the Hubble limit.
Forgive me guys, my bad. I had thought I was conducting a search on

type-1 type-2 conversation

, but for some reason my link didn't work, sorry, I should have tried it after posting

" ...an a Class 3 word is one that has ever body scratchin they heads as to whut is that feller talkin bout."

Fal, your def is pretty accurate but I'd add that the type-3 might be considered snooty in everyday conversation

Sometimes I love snooty. The other day during a very tedious
conversation with some folks who knew next to nothing about the topic, which was the value of the jury system,
I tired of it all, and said I was really against it, and what
we really needed was a monarchy, and that I was available
for king. Really stopped them short.

But thanks for the update, Dale. I was lost for awhile.
Luke, good one

I suppose "monarchy" is type-2 if "Royalty" or "throne" is its type-1

..where I suppose "prepotency" or "sovereignty" might be considered type-3

Something scares me about "prepotency". However if it is a
type 3 then I can use it without anyone knowing what it means.
What does it mean?????
Posted By: tsuwm Re: how do you usually remember a new word??? - 02/08/09 09:46 PM
the general, non-technical, meaning is simply predominance.

I appreciate that, thanks!

Redundancy, again.
Is indicating the obvious not also a type of redundancy?
( posts become very quickly undeletable since the last change ) How about a little interesting new topic, PT?
Bran that was one of my main objections to WS' algorithm til I made that NY resolution

Incidentally yur question is sapertinent nd not having te answer at my fingertip Im for one taking te liberty to suggest yo introduce it as a new post while t risk of infuriating tsu and hs ilk, bless them, I point out in passing that the Mac spellchecker is so massively incompetent it has offered corrections for none of the mistakes in this paragraph, none
To be honest. Ever considerated the possibility that you might be infuriating me too ? mad-mad#$%!^ mad!@&*()%^$%$# ^&!&^)&%! mad@#*_-# !
Mac and Bill, whatever they're up to, I don't want to hear this all the time. It's boring.
Quote:
Incidentally yur question is sapertinent nd not having te answer at my fingertip Im for one taking te liberty to suggest yo introduce it as a new post while t risk of infuriating tsu and hs ilk, bless them, I point out in passing that the Mac spellchecker is so massively incompetent it has offered corrections for none of the mistakes in this paragraph, none

at the risk of prolonging this I "bolded" the words that my mac highlighted.
"at the risk of prolonging this I "bolded" the words that my mac highlighted"

Yes but did it offer a correct spelling

"To be honest. Ever considerated the possibility that you might be infuriating me too ?"

Why Bran, I'm astonished at your reaction. However you and tsu are hereby cordially invited not to read my posts
Originally Posted By: ParkinT

Redundancy, again.

The optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The design engineer keeps half his water in a redundant glass.
"at the risk of prolonging this I "bolded" the words that my mac highlighted"

Yes but did it offer a correct spelling

it does if I right-click, yes.
However you and tsu are hereby cordially invited not to read my posts
That's what I cordially try to do Dale, but you have already a MacBill thread running six topics down. Why not just stick to that instead of advertising MB all over the place?
Bran my posts do seem to wander OT don't they but why become so infuriated

It isn't good for digestion nor for longevity
That's a myth Dale, a legend, a fairy tale . Nothing better for good health than a proper infuriation at the right time. No herbal infusions or meditarations can better it.
Specially in cases of provoquation. But.. all things pass.
© Wordsmith.org