Wordsmith.org
Posted By: hellerfan Misanthrope - 01/01/09 04:59 AM
Are there synonyms for "misanthrope" that have a positive connotation? I'm looking for a word that describes someone who prefers to be alone, although she occasionally attends social gatherings, frequently engages in philanthropy, and doesn't dislike humanity. This topic has been addressed before in the Forum. "Anthrophobe" was suggested; but, "phobe" has a negative connotation. I've found the word "isolate" (noun), which appears to be a neutral synonym. Is there no such thing as a happy misanthrope?
Posted By: Zed Re: Misanthrope - 01/01/09 09:25 AM
Soloist?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Misanthrope - 01/01/09 11:25 AM
As the first part of the word comes from Greek misos = hatred it seems a bit odd: a happy hater.
We use a word straight from German : einzelganger (from Einzelgänger) that has a neutral connotation. There are pleasant as wel as unpleasant "lone-goers " and it could be disputable whether happiness should be a permanent state of being or just returning moments.

Cheers from a non-misanthropic einzelganger and HAPPY New Year!
Posted By: The Pook Re: Misanthrope - 01/01/09 01:30 PM
loner
hermit
recluse
eremitic
solitary
anchorite
introvert
agoraphobe
claustrophile
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Misanthrope - 01/01/09 02:21 PM
Solitary, solitudinarian, lone hand, or lone wolf.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Misanthrope - 01/01/09 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted By: hellerfan
Are there synonyms for "misanthrope" that have a positive connotation? I'm looking for a word that describes someone who prefers to be alone, although she occasionally attends social gatherings, frequently engages in philanthropy, and doesn't dislike humanity. This topic has been addressed before in the Forum. "Anthrophobe" was suggested; but, "phobe" has a negative connotation. I've found the word "isolate" (noun), which appears to be a neutral synonym. Is there no such thing as a happy misanthrope?

Hello and welcome hellerfan.
Hope you like what you find here, join us often: lots of good synonym above.
Happy New Year
Posted By: PastorVon Re: Misanthrope - 01/02/09 06:27 AM
While it has other denotations, philanthropic in its various forms would be an antonym. Also, since a misanthrope is usually cynical, an opposite could be optimistic.

Vaughn Hathaway
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Misanthrope - 01/02/09 04:50 PM
hell, yes welcome, we need you, the rest for some reason seem to be dying off

Tho we won't miss the misanthropes
Posted By: BranShea Re: Misanthrope - 01/02/09 10:00 PM
Yes we do, we do miss the misanthropes, they got brains.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Misanthrope - 01/02/09 10:41 PM
[quote]
Originally Posted By: dalehileman

Tho we won't miss the misanthropes [/quote
]

I've sort of thought since I joined this site that lots of people have died off.
Boredom. It says there are 6781 members with over 12,000 topics. But many have
just died for want of contribution. I like it here, however, and enjoy all
you folks, and am so appreciative for the help I've received over the months.
Blessed new year to you all.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Misanthrope - 01/02/09 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
[quote]

]

I've sort of thought since I joined this site that lots of people have died off.

We get a lot of what might be called drive-by posters, folks who come in with one question and are never heard of again. There are others who drop out through changed circumstances or a desire to leave the net entirely. Some change screen names for whatever reason. As far as I know we've only had one death, wwh, AKA Dr. Bill.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Misanthrope - 01/03/09 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea

I love you and Luke and wold take you to dinner if I were single again and you lived closer
Posted By: BranShea Re: Misanthrope - 01/03/09 07:42 PM
Yes, some Southwestern Sauerkraut with Australian "rollmop salad " (whatever that might be) would do nicely.
Posted By: Zed Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 02:18 AM
roll-mops are rolled pickled herring. Never saw one in a salad.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 03:17 AM
Southwestern Sauerkraut

Would that be sauerkraut with frijoles negros y salsa enchilosa?
Posted By: hellerfan Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 03:34 AM
I see good possibilities in your responses: I could call myself a "soloist," but I'd have to keep explaining that I don't play a musical instrument. I'd be happy to call myself an "einzelganger," but I'd still have to go through all that explaining. (Of course, "doppelganger" is widely understood.) "Claustrophile" has great potential. As a word, I find it pleasing. However, it isn't perfectly accurate because I don't mind being alone in wide, open places.

How do you feel about a new English word? What's your opinion of "disanthrope"? It doesn't imply hatred, but disaffection is implied. I eagerly await your comments. Without your support, I'll have to go through life as a pleasant einzelganger.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 05:39 AM
Never saw one in a salad.

I have (link).
Posted By: BranShea Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 05:29 PM
Never saw that either. We have them for sure, but they come in glass jars and we never use them in salads. Just bare from the bottle. : ) We call it " rolmops" meaning one though the 's' suggests plural. Plural would be rolmopsen or rolmopses. I love the look of your salad ; did you prepare that one yourself?
Looks great.

Quote:
How do you feel about a new English word? What's your opinion of "disanthrope"? It doesn't imply hatred, but disaffection is implied. I eagerly await your comments. Without your support, I'll have to go through life as a pleasant einzelganger.

Disanthrope reminds me too much of "distrophy". Not really pleasant at all. I'd prefer the old fashioned einzelganger.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 06:51 PM
I love the look of your salad ; did you prepare that one yourself?

No. I found it on Flickr. But I've eaten something similar in Germany (link). Ah, there was an Imbissbude ('snack booth') in the Bonner Altmarkt that sold all kinds of herring. Takeaway, food truck, roach coach, friterie, frietkot, and other terms ...
Posted By: BranShea Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 07:48 PM
Hah! Those words. They really make me laugh.
Frietkot is definitely Belgian. laugh Language can be so much fun.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
[quote]

]

We get a lot of what might be called drive-by posters, folks who come in with one question and are never heard of again. There are others who drop out through changed circumstances or a desire to leave the net entirely. Some change screen names for whatever reason. As far as I know we've only had one death, wwh, AKA Dr. Bill.

Well with almowt 12,000 posts I sure hope you are ataying.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 10:36 PM

I love you and Luke and wold take you to dinner if I were single again and you lived closer

Why thank you, and I'd gladly go to dinner. It would be fun, for my part
and I'm very appreciative.
Luke
Posted By: Faldage Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Takeaway, food truck, roach coach, friterie, frietkot, and other terms ...

I ran into a Spanglish term in New Jersey, la lonchería
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 10:39 PM
[quote]
Originally Posted By: hellerfan
I see good possibilities in your responses: I could call myself a "soloist," but I'd have to keep explaining that I don't play a musical instrument. I'd be happy to call myself an "einzelganger," but I'd still have to go through all that explaining. (Of course, "doppelganger" is widely understood.) "Claustrophile" has great potential. As a word, I find it pleasing. However, it isn't perfectly accurate because I don't mind being alone in wide, open places.

I like that word, disanthrope. I have so many trees planted in my yard no one can
see me from their houses and this is a city. I like being alone. Welcome to the
site.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Takeaway, food truck, roach coach, friterie, frietkot, and other terms ...

I ran into a Spanglish term in New Jersey, la lonchería

Can we get frietkot at the la loncheria?
Posted By: The Pook Re: Misanthrope - 01/04/09 11:02 PM
Yes, some Southwestern Sauerkraut with Australian "rollmop salad " (whatever that might be) would do nicely.

It's what we call rolled pickled herring fillets.
...a recipe for rollmop salad

From Wikipedia
"The name 'rollmops' is German and Dutch in origin [1][2], originating from the words rollen (to roll) and Mops (German name of pug dogs / "blockhead") [2]. In English usage, the word is sometimes treated as both singular and plural [2], but at other times as the plural of the singular "rollmop" [1]. (In German, Rollmops is singular with the umlaut-plural form Rollmöpse.)"
© Wordsmith.org