Wordsmith.org
Posted By: doc_comfort To infinitive split... - 10/20/08 02:00 AM
Hi all, it's been too long. A quickie though. Which, if either, is more correct?

1) To string together a sentence

b) To string a sentence together

Specifically, is b) a split infinitive?

Thanks
Posted By: twosleepy Re: To infinitive split... - 10/20/08 02:57 AM
Although I will likely be overruled, I say they are both fine. Neither one splits the infinitive. In order to qualify, you must separate the verb from "to", as in "to always go". :0)
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: To infinitive split... - 10/20/08 03:06 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm inclined to agree but something just feels wrong about separating "string" from "together" in the way b) does.
Posted By: latishya Re: To infinitive split... - 10/20/08 03:48 AM
I would say both are fine. I would also ask, " what is a split infinitve"? To that question the only correct answer is, "a stupid, wrong-headed and utterly pointless proclamation which belongs in English to exactly the same extent that a bacon sandwich belongs in a mosque or synagogue".
Posted By: Faldage Re: To infinitive split... - 10/20/08 11:05 AM
Somebody back in the 18th century cobbled together the rule about split infinitives out of whole cloth. There is no good reason in English to avoid splitting the infintive completely and no reason to default to not splitting the infinitive. I would say that if you're going to have a default position make it that of splitting the infinitive, avoiding it only when to split gives an awkward construction.

As for 1) and b) I would say that either is OK but that, to me, b) sounds better.
Posted By: Jackie Re: To infinitive split... - 10/23/08 02:39 AM
doc--awwright, you better have a darned good excuse! Please PM me, sir! Not that I'm not delighted to see you and all, but. Though I suppose I could at least give you a hug before I start fussing.
© Wordsmith.org