Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BaselAnnie Words that describe or categorize words - 09/03/08 03:46 AM
Is there a word for a word that has the same spelling and the same (or almost the same) meaning in two different languages? ("So" exists in both German and English, with the same or a similar meaning.)
Is there a word for a word that has the same spelling in two different languages, but different meanings? ("Do" in Portuguese means "of the.")
Is there a word for a word that looks and/or sounds like the same word, or perhaps almost the same word, in two languages, but in fact has different meanings depending on the language? ("embarazada" in Spanish doesn't mean "embarrassed"; "Taille" in German means "waist"; "gato" in Spanish or Portuguese means "cat," not "gate.")
Posted By: The Pook Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/03/08 05:21 AM
my guess would be...no, no and no.
Posted By: Zed Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/03/08 07:33 AM
I have heard the term "false friends" for words that are the same -or nearly- in two languages. eg En frente (facing) vs in front.
I pr;obably spelled that wrong but I'm too tired to look it up.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/03/08 11:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: BaselAnnie
Is there a word for a word that has the same spelling and the same (or almost the same) meaning in two different languages? ("So" exists in both German and English, with the same or a similar meaning.)

These may of may not be cognates. In the case of closely related languages such as English and German the likelihood of their being cognates is relatively high. In the case of languages not that closely related, or with no known relations they are either loan words or pure coincidences. Of the former an example might be the English skosh from the Japanese sukoshi. I used to have a bookmark for a list of words that just happened to look and sound the same with the same or opposite meanings but it seems to have expired.

Is there a word for a word that has the same spelling in two different languages, but different meanings? ("Do" in Portuguese means "of the.")

This category is the one that I would call 'false friends'. I would guess the term is more likely to be used for languages that do have some vocabulary in common than it is for totally coincidental examples as the ones I alluded to above.

Is there a word for a word that looks and/or sounds like the same word, or perhaps almost the same word, in two languages, but in fact has different meanings depending on the language? ("embarazada" in Spanish doesn't mean "embarrassed"; "Taille" in German means "waist"; "gato" in Spanish or Portuguese means "cat," not "gate.")

These would also be 'false friends'.

Edit: I did discover this list of some coincidences. Not the entire list from my expired bookmark but enough to make the point.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/04/08 01:40 AM
Skosh is an English word? Never heard of it. Use it in a sentence.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/04/08 01:53 AM
Move over just a skosh so I can squeeze in.
Skosh is Japanese?!? I always thought it was yiddish or something! \:D
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/04/08 11:33 PM
here's The Straight Dope.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/05/08 01:24 AM
 Originally Posted By: tsuwm

The Straight Dope link was, of course, for any of y'all who didn't accept my link to the AHD.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Words that describe or categorize words - 09/05/08 01:17 PM
 Quote:
Quote:Faldage: These would also be 'false friends'.
Edit: I did discover this list of some coincidences. Not the entire list from my expired bookmark but enough to make the point.

Coming just across a coincidence it looks like half of our words is the result of some coincidences.
Came across this: Cheyenne: p- poeso- cat; p as in English "spoon" (unaspirated)

Poeso has the exact but for one character spelling as the
Dutch word "poes" (cat), just also like in English "spoon", unaspirated.

© Wordsmith.org