Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jean Florian dropping letters as one writes - 08/30/08 12:36 PM
A few years ago, there was a word here was defined as that tendency of a writer or scribe to drop letters from the words they are writing. As in: dropping the 'r' from "celebrate" to now have the word (mispelled) "celebate". Or, as I often do, leaving the first letter off the next word if it repeats the last letter of the previous word. example: "at he" should be "at the".

I would like to be reminded what that word is that labels this condition.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 08/31/08 04:32 AM
The omission of a letter in pronunciation is called elision.
The omission of one of a double letter (or word) by a scribe is called haplography (its opposite is dittography). I think haplography might also do service for the simple omission of any letter, but not sure without looking it up which I can't be bothered doing.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: dropping letters as one writes - 08/31/08 05:12 AM
"I can't be bothered. I can't be bothered to ride, the motion is too violent; I can't be bothered to walk, it's strenuous; I can't be bothered to lie down, for either I'd have to stay lying down and that I can't be bothered with, or I'd have to get up again, and I can't be bothered with that either. In short: I just can't be bothered." - Søren Kierkegaard
Posted By: Faldage Re: dropping letters as one writes - 08/31/08 12:30 PM
"I ain't bovvered." - Lauren Cooper
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/01/08 01:59 AM
"Bother!" said Pooh(k)
Posted By: olly Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/01/08 03:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
"Bother!" said Pooh(k)

Is that a c(l)ue?
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/01/08 10:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: olly
"Bother!" said Pooh(k)

Is that a c(l)ue?

...as in pool?
Posted By: Faldage Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/01/08 12:09 PM

...as in pool?

Or as in poo(l).

Originally Posted By: Jean Florian
dropping the 'r' from "celebrate" to now have the word (mispelled) "celebate".

For a legitimate example of a dropped R we have the missing R in 'speak'. This was likely a pronunciation driven phenomenon rather than a scribal error. We see the same thing happening today with 'Febuary', 'liberry', and 'infastructure'.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/02/08 02:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage

...as in pool?

Or as in poo(l).

Originally Posted By: Jean Florian
dropping the 'r' from "celebrate" to now have the word (mispelled) "celebate".

For a legitimate example of a dropped R we have the missing R in 'speak'. This was likely a pronunciation driven phenomenon rather than a scribal error. We see the same thing happening today with 'Febuary', 'liberry', and 'infastructure'.

It remains in 'spruick'.
Actually to correct what I said earlier, I think from memory that elision only refers to vowels disappearing. I can't remember the word for consonants going.
Posted By: latishya Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/02/08 03:33 AM

Actually to correct what I said earlier, I think from memory that elision only refers to vowels disappearing. I can't remember the word for consonants going.

The OED online does not make that distinction:

1. The action of dropping out or suppressing: a. a letter or syllable in pronunciation; b. a passage in a book or connecting links in discourse. Also, an instance of either of these. Also fig.
Posted By: of troy Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/02/08 01:15 PM
and is it still elision when whole chunks of words fall out?

i think of chitterlings(spoken: chittlins) or the town in the UK (lots of letters)- (spoken:) chumley.

(i recognize the bunch of letters that has is now called Chumley, but i can't remember at all how its spelled)
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/02/08 11:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: latishya

The OED online does not make that distinction:

1. The action of dropping out or suppressing: a. a letter or syllable in pronunciation; b. a passage in a book or connecting links in discourse. Also, an instance of either of these. Also fig.

Well there ya go, as is so often the case, the only time I'm wrong is when I think I was wrong but I was right all along!
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/02/08 11:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: of troy
and is it still elision when whole chunks of words fall out?

i think of chitterlings(spoken: chittlins) or the town in the UK (lots of letters)- (spoken:) chumley.

(i recognize the bunch of letters that has is now called Chumley, but i can't remember at all how its spelled)

That would be Chalmondely. It's a boy's name also. Yes, pronounced Chumley.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/03/08 02:14 AM
Reminds me of my cousin's name, St. John. We've never, ever called him that; it's "Sinjin". Brits! ;0)
Posted By: of troy Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/03/08 01:28 PM
Re: Singin

Oh yes, lots of words morph like that

waistcoat (Long A/long O-> morphs to weskit (schwa/short i!)
(in US there are 2 words-waistcoat (said as spelled), and weskit, a synonym!)

grindstone (pronounces as spelled in much of the US, but in UK grinstin.. (short i/short i)

same with Hempstead (in much of US Hemp (like the fiber) and stead (like Instead)
In UK hemp it morphs into something i recognize when said.. but (i forget!) how those guys over there say it!
Posted By: Myridon Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/03/08 05:30 PM
That would be Chalmondely.

I've also seen Cholmondeley and even Chalmondesleigh.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/04/08 01:37 AM
 Originally Posted By: of troy
Re: Singin

Oh yes, lots of words morph like that

waistcoat (Long A/long O-> morphs to weskit (schwa/short i!)
(in US there are 2 words-waistcoat (said as spelled), and weskit, a synonym!)

grindstone (pronounces as spelled in much of the US, but in UK grinstin.. (short i/short i)

Not to mention forecastle (focsle); boatswain (bosun); rowlock (rollock); forward (forr'd) and other nautical contractions.

Americans often pronounce forehead as fore head, but most of the rest of the English speaking world probably says "forrid."
Posted By: Faldage Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/04/08 01:49 AM
And cupboard is pronounced cubb'rd, but, with the possible exception of fo'csle none of the spellings have changed.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/05/08 12:42 AM
And cupboard is pronounced cubb'rd, but, with the possible exception of fo'csle none of the spellings have changed.

Actually I've seen bosun spelled that way often.

Whilst on different pronunciations, it's interesting that North Americans say Lootenn't for Lieutenant whilst English people say Leftenant. I would say Lyewtenant or L'tenant.
Posted By: Myridon Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/05/08 02:33 PM
boatswain (bosun); rowlock (rollock);

I've always wondered why we have bosun but not coxsun (coxun?).
Rowlock is "pronounced" oarlock in the US, but do you mean rollock more like ralick? I'm not sure from your spelling what is meant. In my speech, I can barely distinguish between row lock, rollock, and roll lock.
Posted By: Faldage Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/05/08 11:26 PM

Whilst on different pronunciations, it's interesting that North Americans say Lootenn't for Lieutenant whilst English people say Leftenant. I would say Lyewtenant or L'tenant.

Don't the English pronounce it one way for Navy lieutenants and the other for Army lieutenants?
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/06/08 01:02 AM

Don't the English pronounce it one way for Navy lieutenants and the other for Army lieutenants?

From wikipedia:
"British naval tradition preserved an intermediate pronunciation: /lə'tɛnənt/. This is not recognized as current by the OED, however, and by 1954 the Royal Canadian Navy, at least, regarded it as "obsolescent" even while regarding "the army's 'LEF-tenant'" to be "a corruption of the worst sort"."

There is no certainty as to where the labial 'f' or 'v' ending variants on the first syllable came from. OED rejects the idea that it was in Middle English from a French variant on lieu, loef. It seems more likely that it was a spelling pronunciation because 'u' and 'v' used to be interchangeable, but there is no consensus on that either.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/06/08 01:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: Myridon
boatswain (bosun); rowlock (rollock);

I've always wondered why we have bosun but not coxsun (coxun?).
Rowlock is "pronounced" oarlock in the US, but do you mean rollock more like ralick? I'm not sure from your spelling what is meant. In my speech, I can barely distinguish between row lock, rollock, and roll lock.

I would say roll'ck (rɔlək). You would probably pronounce that rahl'ck.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: dropping letters as one writes - 09/07/08 08:13 PM
I always set the other letters down before I try to write another.
© Wordsmith.org