Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BaselAnnie Woo hoo! - 07/26/08 06:26 PM
This is a phrase I am wondering about:
How and when did "Woo hoo!" as an exultant expression of rejoicing get started? I see it on blogs--is it mostly just used in etalk, like LOL? Or are people actually saying it, and I am just not hearing it?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Woo hoo! - 07/26/08 06:42 PM
Posted By: Hydra Re: Woo hoo! - 07/27/08 10:41 AM
Since Yahoo! became a trademark?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Woo hoo! - 07/27/08 12:52 PM
It seems based on an interjection common in 19th century accounts of American Indians (though I did find one about New Guineans) a sort of whooping. Here's an interesting example from Moby Dick (ch 61):

Quote:
"Woo-hoo! Wa-hee!" screamed the Gay-Header in reply, raising some old war-whoop to the skies; as every oarsman in the strained boat involuntarily bounced forward with the one tremendous leading stroke which the eager Indian gave.

The Gay-Header referred to is Tashtego a Native American harpooner (ch 27):

Quote:
Next was Tashtego, an unmixed Indian from Gay Head, the most westerly promontory of Martha's Vineyard, where there still exists the last remnant of a village of red men, which has long supplied the neighboring island of Nantucket with many of her most daring harpooneers. In the fishery, they usually go by the generic name of Gay-Headers.

Yahoo (or yah hoo) can also be an interjection of joy or exultation, besides being the name of a people in Gulliver's Travels.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Woo hoo! - 07/27/08 05:22 PM
I've always wondered if Swift named his savages after an existing exclamation, or if someone took the exclamation from Swift. Undoubtably the former.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Woo hoo! - 07/27/08 09:38 PM
thank you, tsuwm -- you sure have your finger on the pulse of popular culture!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Yahoo! - 07/27/08 11:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: Hydra
I've always wondered if Swift named his savages after an existing exclamation, or if someone took the exclamation from Swift. Undoubtably the former.

FWIW, the B&M OED lists Swift as the earliest citation and credits him with coining it.
Posted By: latishya Re: Yahoo! - 07/28/08 12:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
 Originally Posted By: Hydra

FWIW, the B&M OED lists Swift as the earliest citation and credits him with coining it.

The online OED says of the interjection that it is
"[Prob. echoic. Cf. YAHOO n.]" (e.a.)

and credits Swift with the noun.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Woo hoo! - 07/28/08 02:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
It seems based on an interjection common in 19th century accounts of American Indians (though I did find one about New Guineans) a sort of whooping. ...etc

I think that's probably coincidental.
Isn't it just a recent Gen-Y exclamation of approval or joie-de-vivre that has spontaneously arisen in the past few years for no apparent reason?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Woo hoo! - 07/28/08 01:48 PM
spontaneously arisen in the past few years for no apparent reason?

Could have, although the Homerian interjection d'oh!, which has wormed its way into the dictionary as well as the vox pop, was coined in homage to James Finlayson's catchphrase of exasperation in many a Laurel and Hardy short ...
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Woo hoo! - 07/28/08 02:35 PM
Citing no research whatsoever and nothing to back it up, it is my opinion that the exclamation itself is ancient, having its origin in animal vocalizations, perhaps imitated by early humans. "Woo-hoo" is just the current English rendition, nothing more. :0)
© Wordsmith.org