Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra An adjective for memory - 06/15/08 03:39 PM
Is there one?

Nabokov uses mnemonic as an adjective for memory describing an old, faded postcard in The Real Life of Sebastian Knight ("a dream-wide street with droshkies all awry under incredibly blue skies, which, farther away, melt automatically into a pink flush of mnemonic banality"), though, if you are going to pick nits, it's not quite on the nose. The nostalgic reminiscential won't do either. I realise memory itself is used as an adjective at times. Are there other options? If you ask me, memorial sorely wants a third sense.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: An adjective for memory - 06/15/08 06:18 PM
Hi H: You've probably already been there, but if not

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=nostalgic+reminiscence
Posted By: Faldage Re: An adjective for memory - 06/15/08 07:18 PM
How about memorable?
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 02:48 AM
dale, what can I say? Did you even read my post? or did you just "skip-read", see the words "nostalgic" and "reminiscential" and offer the inevitable OneLook link?

Faldage, memorable is the adjective of memorability not memory.

It seems a little odd such a common word, along with thought, does not have a separate adjectival form; I thought something might be dredged up. (Travel, for example, as an obscure adjective: viatic).
Posted By: The Pook Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 02:50 AM
memorial or reminding, depending on the the exact sense - whether it is memory in the sense of reminiscing or memory in the sense of not forgetting.

Thought does have an adjectival form in thoughtful. Or in another sense, perhaps cognitive or noetic?
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 02:52 AM
memorial:

Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 02:58 AM
To rephrase: is it possible to translate the phrase: "traces of memory" into an adjective-noun pairing other than, "memory traces."
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 02:59 AM
What?! Thoughtful is not the adjective of thought! It's the adjective of thoughtfulness!

AghghahghghhhhhHHHH!!!!!
Posted By: twosleepy Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 03:01 AM
Interesting choice! This sculpture is amazing, and must be seen in person to be appreciated fully. You can get a feel for it, though, by looking at the photo and covering half vertically through his face. The left side (viewing) of the body is relaxed, almost with a hint of contentment, but the right side is tense and worried. In person one can stand and view it from the side, where it is even more apparent. It is very tall (15 feet or so?) and imposing. I highly recommend a visit to anyone who's never done so. :0)
Posted By: twosleepy Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 03:04 AM
 Originally Posted By: Hydra
To rephrase: is it possible to translate the phrase: "traces of memory" into an adjective-noun pairing other than, "memory traces."

Are you going for poetic? How about "threads of remembrance"? :0)
Posted By: olly Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 03:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: Hydra

AghghahghghhhhhHHHH!!!!!

What about eidetic?

(what about it I hear you say)
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 04:51 AM
I like eidetic, but technically, that is the adjective for photographic memory.

But let's not lose heart yet. After all, bad breath has its halitotic, prison its carceral.
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 02:48 PM
... and yesterday has its hesternal, and summer its aestival.

You wanna know the truth? My experience seems to suggest that if you can't find a word, AWADtalk won't be able to help you. And that's not talking down the board. It's just to make the point that if the word is out there (even if there is here!) Google is your best bet.

Wordsmith Talk, then, is a great place to chat about words, make friends, and sometimes, just sometimes, to be thrown a bone by someone with better Googling skills that you. : )

Posted By: morphememedley Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 03:30 PM
Memory is so broad a subject that we need to have an idea what about memory we're after if we are to try to find a suitable adjective, don't we?

If we're not limited to an etymological root, we have more possibilities; for instance, one could consider using unforgettable, or memorable (suggested by Faldage), or possibly another adjective, for one meaning related to memory.
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 04:31 PM
There's just no adjective for memory; though, if we are going to make one up, I like memoric.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 04:49 PM
I think mnemonic works, though perhaps it would be a new usage. it certainly hearkens back to the Greek root.

[Mid-18th century. <mnemonics, or < Greek mnēmonikos "relating to memory" < mnēmon- "mindful"]
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 04:53 PM
Nabokov uses mnemonic like that, more than once in the 12 novels of his I have read. I think it works pretty well too, with a dash of artistic license. It was just the necessity of that dash that prompted my little query. The man is a millionaire of words.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 04:55 PM
well, there you go!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 05:07 PM
Wow, Hydra, I haven't been able to come up with an adjectival form for memory. And though you did not explicitly ask, I've thought of two for thought: thinking and sentient.
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 05:13 PM
I don't know if this is right, but to me, thinking is the adjective of thinking the noun not thought the noun. Hence, "A thinking man," but not "thinking flashes" for "flashes of thought." Sentient, to me, is feeling. "A sentient mollusk," for example can't think (?).

But if any one would like to join me, I will be storming Oxford University Press tomorrow at dawn to demand the inclusion of my "memoric" into our lexicon.

Mouthfroth optional.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: An adjective for memory - 06/16/08 06:57 PM
if you really want something with some historic bite, memorous is an obs. rare form, used in the sense of the Latin memor, or mindful.

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: noetic nouns adjective - 06/16/08 07:29 PM
memorous

If it's archaic or pretend words you're looking for, you could do no worse than Old English myndig (which would be mindy these days) 'mindful', or along the lines of German denkwürdig 'memorable', thoughtworthy. (There was an OE myndwyrđe 'worth mentioning'.)
Posted By: The Pook Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 12:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: etaoin
I think mnemonic works, though perhaps it would be a new usage. it certainly hearkens back to the Greek root.

[Mid-18th century. <mnemonics, or < Greek mnēmonikos "relating to memory" < mnēmon- "mindful"]

Mnemonic is usually a noun. Nabokov's use of it as an adjective is probably novel, yes. (no pun intended)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 01:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: The Pook

Mnemonic is usually a noun. Nabokov's use of it as an adjective is probably novel, yes. (no pun intended)

I know, but I still like it. I think it works.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 01:10 AM
>Mnemonic is usually a noun.

mnemonic devices notwithstanding? (but there we go with the ol' adjective/noun split, again.)

-joe (a memorous dichotomy) friday
Posted By: The Pook Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 01:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>Mnemonic is usually a noun.

mnemonic devices notwithstanding? (but there we go with the ol' adjective/noun split, again.)

-joe (a memorous dichotomy) friday

Here's a good debating subject: "That any noun can be used as an adjective."
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 01:37 AM
"That any noun can be used as an adjective."

If you're a flatus senex like me that's an easy one to answer: all adjectives are nouns. Nouns are substantive or adjective or a vice versa.
Posted By: The Pook Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 09:34 AM
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
"That any noun can be used as an adjective."

If you're a flatus senex like me

My Latin is not too good but that sounds like you're admitting to being an old fart? \:D
Posted By: olly Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 10:11 AM
all adjectives are nouns. Nouns are substantive or adjective or a vice versa.
Posted By: BranShea Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 11:45 AM
("a dream-wide street with droshkies all awry under incredibly blue skies, which, farther away, melt automatically into a pink flush of mnemonic banality"),

And never needed no better word.
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 12:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
"a dream-wide street with droshkies all awry under incredibly blue skies, which, farther away, melt automatically into a pink flush of memorous banality".

It still feels like a last resort to me, but perhaps that's because mnemonics is a little hobby of mine. I can't read the word without thinking of such things as the Master Peg System, or the loci method of Simonides, and whathaveyou.

Who knows. Perhaps Nabokov would have preferred tswum's memorous. (He was no stranger to obscure words!)
Posted By: BranShea Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 12:22 PM
Mnemonic is about the odd object, perfumes, shreds of music that bring back strong, unexpected and complex memories. I think an old postcard, a madelaine biscuit, a passing little breath (breeze?)of air, a sound - can do that wonderfully.
I like that word mnemonic since I came to know it.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 12:31 PM
an old fart

In Bog Latin mayhaps, and that was my intention. Latin flatus 'breathing; wind; snorting' is one of those medical Latin euphemisms.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 12:37 PM
a madelaine biscuit

"Proust, in his first book, wrote about, wrote about ..." (A script and a video.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: An adjective for memory - 06/17/08 04:55 PM
It's allright.
Posted By: Faldage Re: An adjective for memory - 06/18/08 11:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
("a dream-wide street with droshkies all awry under incredibly blue skies, which, farther away, melt automatically into a pink flush of mnemonic banality"),

To this native speaker it clashes too harshly with the more common noun meaning of mnemonic that Hydra and others speak of.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: An adjective for memory - 06/18/08 12:42 PM
I think it would unclash with rapidic sonority.
Posted By: morphememedley Re: An adjective for memory - 06/18/08 02:04 PM
“Rapidic” sonority? Is that the sound of one hand clapping fast?
Posted By: twosleepy Re: An adjective for memory - 06/18/08 02:12 PM
I think it would unclash with rapidic sonority.

But does it clash with rabinic seniority? rabidic slobberity? raponic salacinority?
Posted By: Hydra Re: An adjective for memory - 06/18/08 04:36 PM
a madelaine biscuit

"Proust, in his first book, wrote about, wrote about ..." (A script and a video.)

That's for sending me off on a two hour Monty Python viewing marathon zmjezhd!

(Curse YouTube's related videos window).
© Wordsmith.org