Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Winkelpleck Backward-Looking Management - 03/29/01 07:42 PM
The search is on for either the philosophy or its practitioner, in service to which a group or nation is hamstrung by strict adherence to old-fashioned (or even regressive) ideals, practices, or heroes. ("If it was good enough for Grandpa, it's good enough for me, darn it!")

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Backward-Looking Management - 03/29/01 07:51 PM
welcome a-Board, winkelpleck

for issues regarding resistance to technological advances, i'd use ludditic, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

is retroestablishmentarian a word?

how about erasmusian? i rather like that one....

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Backward-Looking Management - 03/29/01 08:34 PM
What about reactionary?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Backward-Looking Management - 03/29/01 08:58 PM
If you are looking to coin a word for a backward-looking system of government, what about retrocracy, or retrarchy?

Posted By: wwh Re: Backward-Looking Management - 03/29/01 10:01 PM
You ought to enjoy the cartoon "Dilbert". But I don't know any one word that adequately sums up his problems with his pointy headed boss.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Backward-Looking Management - 03/29/01 10:07 PM
with his pointy headed boss

that's *acrocephalic" boss, Dear Bill. one must always cater to one's audience.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Backward-Looking Management - 03/29/01 11:38 PM
What about "Rhenquist?"

Posted By: Scribbler Re: Backward-Looking Management - 03/30/01 04:24 AM
"Recherchedutempsperdu" transmogrissified, becomes "Amourdutempsperdu" ??? (Worstest word for the decade emoticon) However, try pronouncing it, with a Boston accent, and very rapidly, as "amatta-tomps-pu-duh" and it mightttt pass for a word. Not surprisingly, Aenigma is "puzzled"* -- and not for the first time. *Anyone else????
P.S. (Post-Scribble) I do not usually check Aenigma, but, owing to some unusual words in the body of the text, I gave it a try. Post Aenigma, "Amperage" and "amaze" were suggested in place of the coined words and - my personal favorite- in lieu of Aenigma, Splckr's very own name, the suggestion was "Aeolus".

Posted By: wow Re: Re-Action - 03/30/01 12:08 PM
I still like Spellwrecker.

Most political and business bodies all seem to have the same motto:
"For each action, an equal and opposite over-reaction."

As for Style : I admire the Janus Company which has a mask of the two-faced god as it's logo. Believe it's a money management fund. They capitalize on a subliminal message that they remember past and look to future. As to my interpretation ... I figure they'll getcha' comin' and goin'
wow

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Re-Action - 03/31/01 10:04 AM
Well, if you're looking for and expression to encapsulate the concept of retrograde government, try the term "New Zealand Labour Party". Works for us, every time. Or doesn't, if you know what I mean. Well, whatever.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Backward-Looking Management - 04/02/01 11:26 PM
x

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Backward-Looking Management - 04/03/01 04:48 PM
I would say, "conservatism". Et tu, Jazzoctopus?

© Wordsmith.org