Wordsmith.org
Hi, guys,

I think there exists such words, but I just can't figure out:

Respectively, what's the word to describe a man who:
* dislike human?
* hate human?
* is afraind of human?

do they have something to anthro-, or human-, or -phobia, or -phile affixes?

\:\)

Thanks,
Calli
Misanthrope, misandrist, and misogynist for haters of humans, men, and women respectively.
For someone who 'dislked humans' in the sense of disliking the company of other humans, 'agoraphobic' would do. Not sure what other distinction callithump means between hating and disliking?

Yes, 'misanthropic' for hating humanity.

Humans fearing other humans? Perhaps 'Anthropophobic'? Or again, 'Agoraphobic.'
Hey Pook, I always thought agoraphobia was the fear of open places...

But you are correct with anthropophobia, fear of people or society.
Hi Calli, haven't seen you around for a while, welcome back.
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Hey Pook, I always though agoraphobia was the fear of open places...

But you are correct with anthropophobia, fear of people or society.

No, agora is from the Greek for marketplace, that is, a place where lots of people gather together. Agoraphobia is not fear of open spaces but fear of society. In its most extreme form it causes people never to leave their door, hence the misconception that it is open spaces or going outside they are afraid of. Normally it isn't, it's just that 'outside' is where all the scary people are.
agoraphobia |ˌagərəˈfōbēə|
noun
extreme or irrational fear of crowded spaces or enclosed public places.
DERIVATIVES
agoraphobic |-ˈfōbik| adjective & noun
agoraphobe |ˈagərəˌfōb| noun
ORIGIN late 19th cent.: from Greek agora ‘place of assembly, marketplace’ + -phobia .
 Originally Posted By: etaoin
noun
DERIVATIVES
ORIGIN late 19th cent.: from Greek agora ‘place of assembly, marketplace’ + -phobia .

What dictionary is that from, eta?

AHD has "An abnormal fear of open or public places. Even the B&M OED has it as the fear of squares or open spaces with no mention of people or crowds.
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
noun
DERIVATIVES

AHD has "An abnormal fear of open or public places. Even the B&M OED has it as the fear of squares or open spaces with no mention of people or crowds.

What do you think public means? It's not the space itself an agoraphobic fears, but the public nature of the space. Maybe there is a condition of fearing being in a wide open space, the opposite of claustrophobia, but it isn't agoraphobia. A marketplace is a busy place full of people, not an empty space.
It just seems to me that if it were a fear of crowds per se the definitions would have that in there somewhere. Dictionary definitions are explications not hints. Market places have price tags scattered all about but agoraphobia isn't a fear of knowing the price of something. AHD gives ochlophobia for fear of crowds
 Originally Posted By: Faldage

it's the dictionary on my Mac. not sure of the source dictionary.

after checking OneLook(OED, M-W, Encarta), and Wikipedia there seems to be some ambiguity around the definition, and interpretation of "public spaces".
Some medical authorities chime in (link).
Wow! Pandora's Box exploded while I was gone! LOL! I was just saying that I'd always thought that was the def. I know there are many interpretations, and this one obviously has a bunch. Here's what you get if you google "fear of open areas": http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&suggo...eas&btnG=Search

There is a number of "phobia" sites. One has this: "Fear of crowds or mobs- Enochlophobia, Demophobia or Ochlophobia", a list not including agoraphobia. A marketplace has to be empty much of the time, and even in that state, absent the people, would be fearful to an agoraphobic. JMHO :0)
I like the word 'panic disorder' coming from zmjezhd's link.
A cool clean word for a disastrous feeling:
" Are you scared out of your wits?"
" No, it's just a little panic disorder."
\:\) Thanks for the welcome.

Last year I just got a job in another city. So kinda busy working(and wooing). You can see from how poor my English becomes that how long I have been away from this forum.

Very happy to be back to the family... And I often read the articles on the forum. They are very informative.

So thanks again for all you guys' help.

What's the word to describe a person who likes to be with or before a crowd of people, e.g., one who likes to go where people gather or to go on a stage where a log of people watch.
ochlophile

-ron o.
 Originally Posted By: callithump
What's the word to describe a person who likes to be with or before a crowd of people, e.g., one who likes to go where people gather or to go on a stage where a log of people watch.

gregarious

A ham! :0)
Extrovert.

This question is not totally clear to me.
You seem to want one word for two different things.

1.) Enjoying to be with a crowd is something quite different from enjoying to be before a crowd.
2.) To go where people gather or to go on stage where people watch you, are also two different things.

*A person can enjoy being in a crowd but be scared to death if he/she would have to face that crowd.
*A person can love to go where people gather but be too shy to ever go on stage and have people watching.

Some people may feel happy in both circumstances.
But then should the 'or ' in the question not be replaced by 'and ' ?
wooing Ooh! I hope it turns out the way you want it to. ("turns out" means that some final conclusion has been reached: someone finds out that the illness is curable...or not; the new recipe worked, or failed; you and your current love will either decide to make a future together...or not.)

I've never heard of ochlophile. Gregarious is a good word for a person who enjoys being in a crowd of people and talking with them. "Ham" is a slang term for someone who enjoys being on a stage in front of people--though it usually refers to acting with great emotion, and not to someone who plays or sings music--unless they make exaggerated faces, etc. I can't think of a single word that covers all types; I would just refer to them as "a person who enjoys performing", or "loves to be up on stage".

Oh! Did you mean, perhaps, someone who loves to have peoples' attention on them, whether they can act/sing/dance well or not, or perhaps a child who misbehaves because any attention is better than no attention? The person who is certain that everyone at the party thinks his old jokes are hilarious? Someone who constantly refers to their: beautiful hair, expensive new car, or the fact that they do their work better than anyone else in the office?
This kind of person is a showoff. (Show-off; they like to show off their whatever.)

Good luck in your new job!

Edited the first ex., having realized it might give the wrong impression.
J, ochlophile was meant to be a jochular counterpart to the earlier suggested ochlophob(e).

-ron o.
Ah. Merci.

Edit: I never heard of ochlophobe, either! :-)
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
[Oh! Did you mean, perhaps, someone who loves to have peoples' attention on them, whether they can act/sing/dance well or not, or perhaps a child who misbehaves because any attention is better than no attention? The person who is certain that everyone at the party thinks his old jokes are hilarious? Someone who constantly refers to their: beautiful hair, expensive new car, or the fact that they do their work better than anyone else in the office?
This kind of person is a showoff. (

No I think you're referring to a politician.
Ah. Merci.

Edit: I never heard of ochlophobe, either! :-)

From Greek ochlos meaning crowd and phobos fear.

I suppose you could also coin laophobe for someone afraid of people, from laos people.
laophobe

Not to be confused with lalophobia.
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
laophobe

Not to be confused with lalophobia.

...or lalaphobia, which is fear of the third teletubby ...

PS: zmjezhd - did you mean laleophobia/laliaphobia - fear of talking? Our daughter has the opposite - laleophilia.
In my native language, there is a word literally meaning "Gone mad when people gathereed" to describe a person who will get excited when people gather around him and he tries to get attention by, say, performing.

Is there a english word for this?

I'm not sure. I just saw the word in an article and used it here to try to show off my increasing glossary of English .

I checked again for its connotation. Maybe it turned out not the meaning i want.

Any way, just take fun at it. \:\) Thanks for your explanation..
In my native language, there is a word literally meaning "Gone mad when people gathereed" to describe a person who will get excited when people gather around him and he tries to get attention by, say, performing.

Interesting. I try to imagine this moment of " anticipation to get attention "?

In my language there is no such word and I'm no expert on English. Dutch manners are known to be not particularly refined. \:\)
We just shout and wave or raise hand for attention.
For the person who waits for attention to perform, we have no special word.
On one occasion i read a book which classified guys into 3 categories:

1. People Smart, who feels more at home with people than with books or than being left alone;
2. Book smart, who feels at easy with books;
and
3. Self smart, who likes being left alone and shy of seeing people.

Maybe I failed to express exactly what I mean. I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others.

Oh, god. Are we unclear, still? \:\)

I don't know about an English word but we have a Jack Russell dog that describes it perfectly. We call his behaviour when he does it "going cracka-dog." \:\)
lonely? needy? insecure?
I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others. Then, I think the word extrovert fits this description best.

A person who likes being left alone and shy of seeing people is an introvert. (Extro- indicating outward, intro- indicating inward.)
lonely? needy? insecure?

I think etaoin hit the nail on the head with those. A person who needs attention like that probably has more than one underlying emotional issue. Someone who doesn't need it, per se, but just likes to take advantage of an audience, would be back to my original response, a "ham".
I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others. Then, I think the word extrovert fits this description best.

A person who likes being left alone and shy of seeing people is an introvert. (Extro- indicating outward, intro- indicating inward.)

I respectfully disagree with these characterizations. I consider myself an extrovert (along with many others on these boards!), but unless I was very, very good at whatever I was going to do in front of the crowd, I would probably not. Example: At a D&D convention many moons ago, I attended a "Pun Dungeon", participated, and won. You'll never catch me at a karaoke machine, though, even though I do sing in a choir. Believe, I'm doing the world a favor!

By the same token, I know some introverts who may not want attention from people, but they do enjoy being around people and being part of a group, just not very actively. I must say, I have trouble understanding this, and if I am alone with an introvert, s/he will tend to make me nervous from lack of feedback, unless I know the person well, and where I stand with him/her. :0)

PS My extroversion builds up on me, though, and I need "down time" for my "inner introvert", or I'll go nuts!
 Quote:
I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others.

I think it is Jackie who hits the nail. For if Callit puts it this way, it's just an extrovert sociable person, confident and easy among others. Enviable.

Agree with 2sleepy that an introvert person can love to be among people , though maybe not in a crowd.
And true, extrovert-introvert is a very simplistic way to make a distinction.
Extrovert is fine!

What if I want to add a little negative meaning to and make an extreme case of it, say the person is too far extrovert and Whenever there are persons out there, he/she just cannot stay alone in house any more?

Okay, I found "hypersocial". There is a genetic disorder associated with this behavior called "William's syndrome". Others may suggest "hyperbored" (yes, I made that one up...) :0)
There is in Australian idiom the word 'poser' which comes close.

Or two words borrowed from opera: primadona and diva
© Wordsmith.org