Wordsmith.org
Hi,

Can anybody let me know the exact meaning of the below sentences and their usage:

1. What kind of grass are you smoking?
2. What kind of water are you drinking?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ilango.
welcome, Il.

exact meaning? no, but implied: the smoker/drinker has just done/said something that would make one think they were not in full and complete control of their mind.

(Their being the smoker/drinker, not the one. heh)

They have no absolute meaning outside of their relationship context. They are questions directed at a person by a person in a particular social setting. The meaning of the sentences may change completely according to who says it to whom and where and when and why.

But, in a general sense, they would most often mean... what he said...
on the chance that Ilango needs more basic info ...

In sentence 1, the "grass" is a slang term for marijuana.
In sentence 2, the "water" is implied to be alcohol.
Thank you very much for the quick response.

In fact, I found this sentence in a heated dispute. Can I guess, after all these explanations, these sentences mean the other person cranky/stupid. Its a kind of insulting the person involved in a dispute, isnt it?
these sorts of comments are often used sarcastically, as in:

Quote:
What have you been smoking? You make as much sense as a crack addict.

but you can also find them used with a softer brush:

Quote:
A question, good sir: what have you been drinking, and where can I get some ?
For future reference: on the main listings (opening) page, Q & A about words means Questions & Answers about words. Welcome to you!
you could allus move it, Jackie....

;\)
Thanks for the information. Will sure use the proper thread in future.
Okey-dokey! :-)

eta--what am I gonna do with you, huh?
 Originally Posted By: Jackie

You could move the thread. That'd show that upstart eta fellow.
Yup, but then our newbie wouldn't know where to go looking for the question he asked and we might lose him. I like Jackie's way, seems gentler.
Deleted due to ERROR.
actually, he/she returned to the thread, twice.
Oh, dumb! I only checked the first post. I'm going to use the quick deleter.
 Originally Posted By: belMarduk
Yup, but then our newbie wouldn't know where to go looking for the question he asked and we might lose him. I like Jackie's way, seems gentler.

nah, moving it leaves a marker behind.
Yeah, but it seems so ... rude, to just up and move somebody's else's thread. Goes against the grain.
gets easier the more you do it.
Is the grain related to the grass?
Intimidly acquainted. Unless you mean the grain of a woven cloth or a grain of sand.
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
Intimidly acquainted. Unless you mean the grain of a woven cloth or a grain of sand.

Did you mean to make up a word, Bran? It could mean "in a not-shy way", or perhaps you meant "intimately"?

What kind of grass were you smoking? LOLOLOL!!!
I timidly admit that I meant intimately.
I timidly admit that I meant intimately.

Intimidly is a good word, though. fits with me and dating....

:¬ P
Chuckle
Hmmmm.... does this mean you are an aggressive dater? Wanna prove it? Huh? Up to a REAL woman, etaoin??? LOLOLOLOL!!! ;0)
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Hmmmm.... does this mean you are an aggressive dater? Wanna prove it? Huh? Up to a REAL woman, etaoin??? LOLOLOLOL!!! ;0)

actually, I was thinking just the opposite.

and are you a REAL REAL woman?
heh.

I was thinking intimidly = intimate + timid, as in timid about intimate things.

huh, hiding behind my chucks. I hadn't seen the picture that way, but I can see it now. maybe it's time for a new avatar...

it sounds, indeed, as if you are a REAL REAL woman! congratulations!
TMI, y'all. It's sounding like this oughta go private anyway.
 Originally Posted By: belMarduk

Please move the thread.
It sounds to me like the thread has moved by itself, moved Waaay off topic.
moved Waaay off topic

Threads are like language: they change.
Language is like grass: endless diversity.
Language is like grass: endless diversity.

and intoxicating
Well--since the original post-er requested the move, I'll give it another shot. Wish me luck...

EDIT--hey, it worked. It's different this time, though: now there is an option for whether to leave a pointer or not, and it has a limit on how long the pointer will be there. I gave it the maximum, 31 days.
She's got it, she's got it. By George, I think she's got it.
(to go with Jackie's music notes.)
Bingo! That's something I know something about... \:\) Can I be taken as an expert for saying something...:)

I once came across a sentence like this and posted a similar question there. And I came to realize what it means by the help of all the guys here.

In the context I referred to, it's a boss who said this to one of his best employee: No matter whatever you are smoking, find someone in the street and train them to achieve this as well. Here, I think, the boss de facto is very pleased or amazed at what the employee has done and there is a flavor of joking or intimacy....

So I think the sentence can also be used in a postive way, if the listener is close or inferior to you...

Am I right? Just for your information, anyway. \:\)
It can be positive in the sense you pointed out. It can also be used in a positive or neutral sense to refer to someone being in a very good mood, especially in a bad situation.
You did it!!!! Cheers! I played your new little tune on the piano
in celebration! e-e-d-e- , followed up by c-c-b-c.
(variations on a theme) Ha! natural opioids! (tsuwm)
Thanks, Zed and Bran! And, I finally realized that I might be able to retrieve my beloved rainbow notes from another source, and that worked, too. They're a bit smaller, but that's okay. Though the blue ones were okay, these just...look happy.
 Originally Posted By: Jackie

Tell him you have something for him. \:\/
© Wordsmith.org