Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra Pft - 03/01/08 02:57 PM
In the great tradition of tsk, chortle, and Bronx cheer, is there a word for the expression of distain produced by the sharp release of air between the bottom lip and top teeth? As in, "Pft!"
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Pft - 03/01/08 03:19 PM
in the great tradition of tsk, pfft.

-ron o.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/01/08 04:08 PM
The A-H dictionary has "[u]sed to express or indicate a usually sudden disappearance or ending". In the tradition of tsk to represent /ǀ/ (a voiceless dental click) but sometimes pronounced /tɪsk/, I wonder if poof is a variant of pfft? (Along the lines of tut, too.)
Posted By: Hydra Re: Pft - 03/01/08 04:37 PM
>ron o.

True. But what I mean is: Is there a non-onomatopoeic word for going, "Pfft!"
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Pft - 03/01/08 06:52 PM
oh, I wondered but was led down the other path by tsk.
did you note that one source for pfft (Cambridge I think) gives U.S. for 'phut'?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/01/08 07:19 PM
gives U.S. for 'phut'?

Piffle!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Pft - 03/01/08 07:26 PM
phut

Posted By: Zed Re: Pft - 03/01/08 07:28 PM
Bronx cheer is the same as the British raspberry, isn't it.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/01/08 08:37 PM
Bronx cheer is the same as the British raspberry, isn't it.

AFAIK. It is sometimes called a voiced linguolabial trill /r̼/. Raspberry is Cockney rhyming slang for fart: raspberry tart. It doesn't seem to be used in any languages phonemically, but it does occur in Coatlán Zapotec (link, p.5.) in sound symbolism.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Pft - 03/05/08 06:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Hydra
>ron o.

True. But what I mean is: Is there a non-onomatopoeic word for going, "Pfft!"

Do you mean for the act of blowing out an unvoiced labial sound with a dental stop at the end of it, or for the act of saying something that immediately ridicules, derides, denies and puts down what has come before? If the latter, then in Australian idiom the answer would be a mild expletive beginning with 'b' and ending in 'ullshit'.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Pft - 03/05/08 11:51 AM
Originally Posted By: The Pook

Do you mean for the act of blowing out an unvoiced labial sound with a dental stop at the end of it, or for the act of saying something that immediately ridicules, derides, denies and puts down what has come before? If the latter, then in Australian idiom the answer would be a mild expletive beginning with 'b' and ending in 'ullshit'.

You're saying that the act of ridicule and the object of ridicule are the same thing? Or you are what you deride?
Posted By: The Pook Re: Pft - 03/05/08 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage

You're saying that the act of ridicule and the object of ridicule are the same thing? Or you are what you deride?

No, I'm saying that using that word as a response to something you wish to dismiss as inconsequential or rubbish serves the same purpose as responding 'pfft' or 'piffle'. You could also use the word "rubbish" or "garbage" I guess.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Pft - 03/05/08 11:43 PM
But we're not looking for what it means; we're looking for what you call that particular vocalization.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Pft - 03/06/08 02:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
But we're not looking for what it means; we're looking for what you call that particular vocalization.

I wasn't giving a definition. I was giving a word. I was responding to Hydra's question "TBut what I mean is: Is there a non-onomatopoeic word for going, "Pfft!""

Someone else suggested the word 'piffle'. I suggested another one.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Pft - 03/06/08 03:20 AM
T-but: theft by unlawful taking.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Pft - 03/06/08 10:34 AM
"But what I mean is: Is there a non-onomatopoeic word for going, "Pfft!""

Wull, OK, but I don't see how this differs from what I'm saying.

I mean, I ain't saying, I'm just saying.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Pft - 03/10/08 03:54 PM
The Pook, you and Faldage appear to be talking at cross-purposes.

I did not ask for a word having the same effect as "Pfft!", though if I were, "Balderdash!" would be fine. My question is, what is the word describing that sound. It is an optimistic question, but the infinite English language has given us technical terms for all sorts of strange noises emanating from the body by design and otherwise. You seem to be hung up on the idea that the term describing a sound must mean the same thing as that sound. If some one tells a joke, you do not shout, "Laughter!" The word "laughter" describes the staccato sound you make in response to something funny.

So, let me rephrase: Laughter is to "Ha ha ha!" as X is to "Pfft!" What is X?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Pft - 03/10/08 04:13 PM
laughter is really a pretty general term for all kinds of audible mirth.

so, a general, technical term for pfft, phutt, fut, phut, phfft, phtt, or other forms with p, ph, f, or t occurring three or more times all could be referred to as plosives, for a start.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/10/08 04:27 PM
It is an optimistic question, but the infinite English language has given us technical terms for all sorts of strange noises emanating from the body by design and otherwise.

Well, I'd have to hear how you pronounce it, but the way I do I'd transcribe as /pft/ (or more narrowly [pft̚]) in IPA and if I had to tell somebody what that transcription was, I'd use: a voiceless bilabial-labiodental affricate which transitions into a voiceless unreleased alveolar stop.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Pft - 03/10/08 06:35 PM
Dear Hydra,

I understand what you're asking. But alas, I have no answer.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Pft - 03/11/08 12:09 AM
The Pook, you and Faldage appear to be talking at cross-purposes.
So, let me rephrase: Laughter is to "Ha ha ha!" as X is to "Pfft!" What is X?

That's still capable of being taken equivocally. But since 'laughter' is not a phonetic/linguistic/physiological term like 'plosive stop' etc, it sounds like you are not asking for technical terms but a generic everyday term?

Like 'disapprobation' or something? (although that's not specific enough of course)
Posted By: Jackie Re: Pft - 03/11/08 01:30 AM
All I've ever seen is 'sound of derision'. Sorry.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Pft - 03/11/08 03:56 PM
Quote:
Poster: zmjezhd Well, I'd have to hear how you pronounce it, but the way I do I'd transcribe as /pft/ (or more narrowly [pft̚]) in IPA and if I had to tell somebody what that transcription was, I'd use: a voiceless bilabial-labiodental affricate which transitions into a voiceless unreleased alveolar stop.

Now that's a term of elegant literary possibilities:

“Don't you still love me, Robert?” says Ida, worrying the cord of her bathrobe. Without looking up from the floor on which he has just spat, Robert emits a voiceless bilabial-labiodental affricate which transitions into a voiceless unreleased alveolar stop, acidly.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pft - 03/11/08 11:58 PM

“Don't you still love me, Robert?” says Ida, worrying the cord of her bathrobe. Without looking up from the floor on which he has just spat, Robert emits a voiceless bilabial-labiodental affricate which transitions into a voiceless unreleased alveolar stop, acidly.

LLOL
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/12/08 12:31 AM
elegant literary possibilities

/ʘ/!
Posted By: Hydra Re: Pft - 03/12/08 01:46 PM
Sorry if I "ron" the joke, zmjezhd, but can you 'splain cos I don't get it.

Wiki says the bullseye symbol is IPA for a click consonant. You've put it between two solidi in response to "elegant literary possibilities".

What gives?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/12/08 02:02 PM
can you 'splain

It's a bilabial click. The sound of a kiss. It's between virgules because that's where one usually finds IPA (wide) transcriptions, and it ends with an exclamation point to mark its emphatic nature.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Pft - 03/12/08 02:07 PM
>The sound of a kiss.

Okay, it's the sound of a kiss. Okay. But why are you kissing elegant literary possibilities—and ron be damned!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Pft - 03/12/08 02:15 PM
How'd you know it was a bullseye, Hydra? All I ever see is two slashes with an empty box between them.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Pft - 03/12/08 02:24 PM
You don't see it? Must be something to do with your browser. For example, mine sees Bishnupriya Manipuri Script as rows of identical boxes.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/12/08 02:34 PM
But why are you kissing elegant literary possibilities

The kiss was for your exemplar of "elegant literary possibilities", Aquarius. La! And what's up between you and Ron?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/12/08 02:36 PM
All I ever see is two slashes with an empty box between them.

You really ought to upgrade from VMS, Jackie. If you click here you might see a graphic image of the bilabial click glyph.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Pft - 03/12/08 03:13 PM
>And what's up between you and Ron?

I guess we're just thick as thieves.

Aquarius? La?

Oh, forget it.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/12/08 03:38 PM
I guess were just thick as thieves.

Better than me, being thick as a brick.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Pft - 03/12/08 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I guess were just thick as thieves.

Better than me, being thick as a brick.

as long as you don't have locomotive breath.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/12/08 06:23 PM
as long as you don't have locomotive breath.

Nope, it's now officially t-shirt weather here in sunny Norte Califas.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Pft - 03/12/08 09:08 PM
you might see a graphic image of the bilabial click glyph. I did, thanks. But JFTR, I have no idea what VMS is,
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Pft - 03/12/08 09:17 PM
VMS

It's an operating system (link).
© Wordsmith.org