Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bhumburg Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/16/08 11:44 PM
Not a lot more to the question really. Why are fishermen called anglers?

BCH
Posted By: Faldage Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/17/08 12:31 AM
Because the hook forms an angle?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/17/08 01:32 AM
Because the hook is an angel in Old English. The noun yielded a verb in Middle English anglen 'to fish'.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/17/08 09:16 AM
Does this mean that
Quote:
angel I.m. 'angle' hook, fish hook, Bo (?) M t L (ongul)
angel II.m.= engel-(dutch) (= angel?)
fish hook and angel are from the same source and yet have no apparent connection? Or does angel come from a complete different source?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/17/08 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Does this mean that
Quote:
angel I.m. 'angle' hook, fish hook, Bo (?) M t L (ongul)
angel II.m.= engel-(dutch) (= angel?)
fish hook and angel are from the same source and yet have no apparent connection? Or does angel come from a complete different source?

Probably not. AHD only takes them back to OE and Greek, respectively but I wouldn't think there is much connection between fishhooks and messengers.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/17/08 04:20 PM
FWIW, angel is from Greek αγγελος (angelos) the translation of Hebrew מַלְאַךְ (mal'akh) 'messenger'. The word for fishhook, which occurs in other languages (e.g., Old High German ango, angul 'fishhook, spine, barb', Old Irish écath 'fishhook') is from PIE *ank- 'to bend, curve' (IEW pp.45f.), and which is related to Latin angulus 'angle, corner, nook', Greek αγκυλος (ankulos) 'bent', αγκυρα (ankura) 'anchor'.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/17/08 04:41 PM
there ya go.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 01/17/08 07:18 PM
Yeh,well, the funny and confusing thing is that the Du. word "engel" = "angel" only needs one character at the front: (h) "hengel" to get the meaning "fishing rod" and the word "hengelaar" means "angler".

To make it more confusing the word "engelenhaar" means "angel's hair".

I see from your post that the origins are different , but in Dutch it all gets rather "hooked up". Quite amusing.
Posted By: lfs Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/02/10 10:46 AM
simple~

the rod : line relationship is always an angle, usually obtuse
( more than a right, 90 degree angle ) and rarely acute ( less than 90 ).
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/02/10 12:22 PM
the rod : line relationship is always an angle, usually obtuse

This is a joke, right? Did you read the rest of the thread?
Posted By: lfs Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/02/10 12:40 PM
no joke; simply dangle the weighted line coursing thru the loops on the rod and notice the angle at the junction of the line-rod tip! This is why fishermen are referred to as anglers
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/02/10 12:41 PM
heh
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/02/10 01:19 PM
no joke ... This is why fishermen are referred to as anglers

Well, if serious, your etymology is quite simply wrong. Fishermen are called anglers because the Middle English verb for 'to fish' was angelen, and that verb came from the Old English noun for hook, as mentioned in this thread above. This predates the borrowing of Norman aungle, originally 'corner (of a room)' into Middle English. This French word goes back to roughly the same PIE root as the angle 'hook' word, but the routes these two words took is different. The angle is one in the hook, and not in the rod and line.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/02/10 08:15 PM
Originally Posted By: lfs
no joke; simply dangle the weighted line coursing thru the loops on the rod and notice the angle at the junction of the line-rod tip! This is why fishermen are referred to as anglers

Well, fishermen who catch fish by throwing a spear, the spear makes a hook with the water surface at some stage, but they are not called anglers.
Posted By: goofy Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/02/10 11:19 PM
The same angle is the source of "England", apparently because the Angles were from an area of land shaped like a fishhook - the Angeln district of Schleswig-Holstein.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/03/10 03:37 PM

And the story of Augustine, for whom the Canterbury Cathedral
is named, upon seeing blond blue-eyed slave children in Rome's
Forum, asked who they were. Being told they were Angles from
the land of Anglo Saxons, he replied: "Not Angles, but Angels".
Posted By: lfs Re: Why are fishermen called anglers? - 06/04/10 04:21 PM
Well, if serious, your etymology is quite simply wrong.

My etymology is the same as yours! Of course etymologic origins are essential technical aspects to be considered; however, they are not the exclusive method for assessing the evolution of word meanings. Fundamental considerations include more empiric criteria similar to simple associative applications like the angle created by at the junction of the rod and line.
The common man contributes to the evolution of word meaning, but seldom consults etymologic sources!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Mutunus Tutunus, mutatis mutandis - 06/04/10 04:56 PM
My etymology is the same as yours!

Well, I looked at both of them, and they are substantially different, but whatever floats your boat ...

Of course etymologic origins are essential technical aspects to be considered; however, they are not the exclusive method for assessing the evolution of word meanings. Fundamental considerations include more empiric criteria similar to simple associative applications like the angle created by at the junction of the rod and line.

I see. So we just get to make stuff up while sitting in our armchair contemplating the future. OK, works for me. The etymology of eye is the two lidded eyes on either side of the nose.

The common man contributes to the evolution of word meaning, but seldom consults etymologic sources!

Sorry, I obviously mistook you for somebody seriously interested in etymologies of words. My bad.
Posted By: lfs reis ipsa loquiter - 06/04/10 08:06 PM
Actually, you quite missed the point confused ; etymological searches are always informative and relevant; however, in and of themselves, they are not all-encompassing dogma when considering the evolving use of terms / phrases, particularly allowing for colloquialisms, regionalisms, connotations and the more than occasional malaprop.
It seems that you would do well to delve into lexicography in more depth; I'd suggest starting with innovative concepts promoted by PW Hanks, who focuses on, amongst other aspects, convention v. creativity and innovation with regard to meaning.
Glad for the discourse; sorry if you're torqued, dismayed bewildered or even the least bit intransigent.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Mutunus Tutunus, mutatis mutandis - 06/04/10 10:23 PM
I see. So we just get to make stuff up while sitting in our armchair contemplating the future. OK, works for me. The etymology of eye is the two lidded eyes on either side of the nose. laugh

@|@
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: saxa loquuntur - 06/05/10 01:13 AM
It seems that you would do well to delve into lexicography in more depth;

Well, I have delved into it, that's why I took issue with your calling yours an etymology. I have no problem calling it a folk etymology or poetry or something else. (Of course, you can call it what you will, but you oughtn't to be dismayed when people misinterpret your unique intended meanings with mundane ones.)

I'd suggest starting with innovative concepts promoted by PW Hanks, who focuses on, amongst other aspects, convention v. creativity and innovation with regard to meaning.

Never heard of him or her. I've had to make due with the likes of L Zgusta, S Landau, Y Malkiel, et al. Do you have a title or ISBN? I'd also like to suggest you take a look at some of their work, too, for an alternate view of lexicography. You might also want to check out what Jim Quinn, J-J Lecercle, M Heidegger, and L Wittgenstein all have to say about language and meaning.

Glad for the discourse; sorry if you're torqued, dismayed bewildered or even the least bit intransigent.

Nope, just confused. Like if I say "cow" but what I mean "purple", and then I get my panties in a knot cuz you didn't understand me. Carry on with the monologue or join the discourse if you want to. Now that I have a context within which to to understand your intended meaning, I'll walk on down the path to language.
Posted By: Jackie Re: saxa loquitur - 06/05/10 02:36 AM
zmjezhd, am I mistaken, or are you not a professor of linguistics?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: saxa loquuntur - 06/05/10 04:13 AM
are you not a professor of linguistics?

Sorry, Jackie. I was a professor of computer science, but I have never taught linguistics as I only have an AB in linguistics.
Posted By: latishya Re: saxa loquitur - 06/05/10 06:11 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

Nope, just confused. Like if I say "cow" but what I mean "purple", and then I get my panties in a knot cuz you didn't understand me.

Now, THERE'S glory for you!
Posted By: Jackie Re: saxa loquuntur - 06/06/10 01:38 AM
"only"; uh huh. [bow of respect e]
© Wordsmith.org