Wordsmith.org
Posted By: nharren Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 09:01 AM
How would you describe a person who consistently gets things done?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 10:53 AM
Rare.( But others may give a better answer)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 11:11 AM
organized.

welcome, nharren!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 02:21 PM
Rare. Ha!
A doer, or a "go-to" person; this is the one in the office who always gets the extra work 'cause the supervisors know it'll get done.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 02:27 PM
Can't think of an exact match, nor even a very close one.
can-do
persistent
diligent
thorough
accomplished
stick-to-it-ive

Someone who follows through, a "follower through?"
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 03:56 PM
efficient
Posted By: nharren Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Doer is the closest, but doesn't it seem to carry a negative connotation? Anyone know a non-English equivalent?
Posted By: Myridon Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 05:45 PM
IMO, doer (which noever looks like a real word to me) may mean someone who isn't idle - I'm a do-er not a sitter. I'd vote for Fallible's suggestions of thorough and diligent. Also in that vein is conscientious, but since you like doer, how about gogetter, er, I mean, go-getter?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 05:48 PM
Anyone know a non-English equivalent?

Agent < Latin agens 'doing; doer' < ago (agere, egi, actum) 'to do, make; drive'.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 06:01 PM
There are numerous phrases that would do but if you can provide some context then it might be possible to point out one that is most appropos. If he is in sales, you could say he is a "closer" (i.e. one who routinely closes the deal).

If he is a generally competent, independent and reliable chap, and if you were certain that your audience would understand you, you could simply say he is "a man who can take a message to Garcia" (able to get things done regardless of difficulty).
Posted By: nharren Re: Getting Things Done - 12/10/07 10:27 PM
Alex, I can't remember exact context in which I was befuddled, but what do you think about these:

1. People who (follow through?) consistently get things done.
2. (Doers?) consistently get things done.
3. (Productive?) people consistently get things done.

Oh, and if I may make an adscititious statement, you didn't seriously consider my post in the sabrage thread, did you?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Getting Things Done - 12/11/07 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: nharren
Alex, I can't remember exact context in which I was befuddled, but what do you think about these:

1. People who (follow through?) consistently get things done.
2. (Doers?) consistently get things done.
3. (Productive?) people consistently get things done.

Oh, and if I may make an adscititious statement, you didn't seriously consider my post in the sabrage thread, did you?

Hogwash is very serious business. After all, the points don't matter and everybody wins. But I have a sneaking suspicion that you voted for one of the fake definitions. But it is an interesting one though.
Posted By: wsieber Re: Getting Things Done - 12/17/07 12:59 PM
How would you describe a person who consistently gets things done? - a dictator, since they usually have others do it ;).
Posted By: BranShea Re: Getting Things Done - 12/17/07 02:54 PM
Yes,nharrens first post leaves that possibility open.
I wonder though, how consistently Alex Williams is brushing up his poetry to get the HW finals consistently done.
Posted By: pennyless Re: Getting Things Done - 12/17/07 04:40 PM
How about factotum? From Latin roots fac, imperative of facere, to do + totum, neut. of totus, all, the whole. A person hired to to all sorts of work, or a handy man [Webster's}.
Posted By: dellfarmer Re: Getting Things Done - 12/21/07 11:09 AM
She about 5'4", brunette, I guess maybe 115 lbs. She dresses well, but not overly professional; on Fridays she wears jeans that accentuate her curves & make me drool. She works in the office two doors down from mine, and I always hear the Supervisors complimenting her on her timely and high-quality work. She make me sick.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Getting Things Done - 12/21/07 11:56 PM
is she single, Ron? perhaps I could cause a distraction.
© Wordsmith.org