Wordsmith.org
In the popular (nerdy) fantasy tabletop game, Dungeons and Dragons, there's been a lot of head-scratching over the years to come up with a word to call characters who know both magic and swordplay. The archetype doesn't really exist in classical mythology, so there isn't (to my knowledge) a word for it in the English language. Past solutions have ranged from being unimaginative ("Hey, let's call 'em fighter/mages!") to too imaginative ("They are called 'gishes.' That's right, like the Smashing Pumpkins album.") In an upcoming book, one of the writers over at D&D is calling the concept a "swordmage," a name which, for me, conjures the image of a cross between Merlin and a Marlin.

I was wondering, however, if there was a fairly neutral word used to describe a person who is equally skilled in two fields. For instance, a high school student who is both valedictorian and captain of the football team. I'd call them an overachiever, but is there anything else they might be called?

I've thought of polymath, although that implies that the person has more than two fields of expertise. Any help would be appreciated, although I'm prepared to accept that there simply is no such word. I just thought I'd turn it over to the linguaphiles here to think about.
How about bimath or dimath?
as a mage who wields a sword in World of Warcraft, I like swordmage.

I would go with mage militant.
I also thought of Rambomancer...
Originally Posted By: Rintrah

no.
Originally Posted By: etaoin

no.

I say I say that was a joke, son. Yuh' suppos'd ta laugh.
Wow, Rintrah, you must be really old, if you know about Foghorn Leghorn. (I say I say that was a joke, son. Yuh' suppos'd ta laugh.) Welcome!

How about just calling them ambidexters? Or maybe ambifighters? Nah...ambitalents?
Real nice picture, but the song is mightier than the sword.
A. will go out on a limb here with "Jack of Two Trades".
Originally Posted By: etaoin

no.

I say I say that was a joke, son. Yuh' suppos'd ta laugh.

I had certainly hoped, but was just making sure!
Jackie

HR's all over the country are looking for multi-taskers. C'mon, how many of us can multi-task? But........ambi-talented?
You get my resume.
apropos of ambidexter, and nothing damn else..

In 17th c. generally spelt ambodexter, after L. ambo both.
1613 SIR H. FINCH Law (1636) 186 To call..an Attornie Ambodexter, or to say that he dealeth corruptly. 1705 HICKERINGILL Priest-cr. I. (1721) 44 Nor Ambodexter Lawyers take a Fee On both sides.
[OED2]

-joe (ambosinistrous) friday
Multimage
Or duomage
trimage
etc etc
© Wordsmith.org