Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Ahmad Rizal tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 04:10 AM
wonder if there is a specific name for the crest in the upper lip of a human.
In Indonesian language, we don't have any name for that certain part of the body; but in one native language of ours (sundanese) we call it 'mamaungan'; refers to an old belief that people who don't have such a crest are considered a semi-human that can change their appearance into tigers.
Posted By: Hydra Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 04:29 AM
It's called the philtrum.

Philtrum - Wikipedia
Posted By: Jackie Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 04:18 PM
Selamat datang! Ahmad. Anda akam mau menulis Bingley...argh, my former on-line helps for bahasa Indonesia seem to have disappeared. I want to say that you should send a Private Message as a halo to Bingley--dia tinggal Jakarta. (Sorry for the poor quality of my bahasa I.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 05:06 PM
Yes, it is selamat makan. But what does it matter when the food is so good. (and there are so many different 'dialects'? 'languages'?)

I love the tahu telor and the ajam rudjak , not to mention the gadu gadu, the lontong and the sajur lodeh. Ikan Bali or ikan sambal goreng. And all the rest of it.
We don't have a word for the part between nose and mouth at all either, Ahmad.
Philtrum sounds very medical to me.
Posted By: of troy Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 07:50 PM
Philtrum is based on phil(ia) --love --since the spot (just above the lip is the place to put a love potion.. (so when you are kissed, the potion would be transfered.)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 08:08 PM
I've also seen the term infranasal depression for philtrum. Alleged words in German Oberlipperinne and Japanese and Chinese 人中 can be found by googling.
Posted By: Rintrah Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Ahmad Rizal
an old belief that people who don't have such a crest are considered a semi-human that can change their appearance into tigers.

That's a neat belief. In Judeo-Christian legend, there's a story about how the angel Gabriel forms the philtrum by placing his finger over a baby's lip to quiet them from crying for the first time.
Posted By: Faldage Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/29/07 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Japanese and Chinese 人中

Person middle?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/30/07 01:21 AM
Person middle?

Yup. I did find it in one reputable online Japanese-English dictionary Jim Breen's WWWJDIC.

Quote:
人中 【じんちゅう】 (n) (1) in company; among people; (2) philtrum (groove in the upper lip that runs from the bottom of the nose to the lip)

Also, if you search on the hanzi/kanji in Google, you'll find discussions of the word as an anatomical term.
Posted By: BranShea Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/30/07 09:26 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Oberlipperinne

That's the problem with finding a word for it. I mean philtrum is plain latin.
Quote:
Philtre:love potion," 1587, from M.Fr. philtre (1568), from L. philtrum, from Gk. philtron "love-charm," lit. "to make oneself beloved," from philein "to love" (from philos "loving") + instrumental suffix -tron. Helen!

Oberlipperinne seems a doubtful word as Lippe and lip(D.)only mean lip, those two parts of the mouth where many women put lipstick on. If I would translate this Oberlipperinne to an in Dutch non existing word : bovenlipgleufje people could confuse it with a hare-lip.

Oberlipperinne to: bovenlipbinnenste would mean the inside of the upper lip. That's how I read the German word too.

Or would the German word for that be Oberlipperinnenste?
Posted By: Faldage Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/30/07 10:07 AM
Huh. I parsed it as "inny over the lip."
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: tell me name of a body part, s.v.p - 10/30/07 03:07 PM
I did not suggest that it was actually the word for the (ultimately) Greek philtrum, but one I found, along with the Sino-Niponese one, by googling. Cave verbum.
© Wordsmith.org