Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 09/29/07 03:42 AM
What caught my attention on the roads in U.S. was a traffic sign with XING and a jumping deer, standing for 'deer crossing' and XINGPED announcing a pedestrian crossing place.
Obviously the cross part here is replaced by X.
But what about Christmas? Xmas. Here it replaces Christ for Christmas not Crossmas.

Anyone knows more specifics about this X- matter?
Are there more words where X takes over part of a word.
Crossfire? Xfire? Aren't there many with which you could do the same thing? Or has this crossed the topics before?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 09/29/07 04:21 AM
Well, the X in Xmas is from the first Greek letter of the title Khristos 'anointed one'. Chi rho (i.e., XP) is another abbreviation, and a longer one is JHC XPC (from the first two letter and the final ones. I suppose Xasmus for chiasmus might be a possibility. I've used XL8 for a jocular translate.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 09/29/07 04:57 PM
I rmembered from somewhere sabout X representing Christ,and sure enough, try Googling:

christ x
Posted By: BranShea Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 09/29/07 05:45 PM
Thanks. zmjezhd, it was Xing my mind that X and Christ had something to do with eachother and that Christ means :"The annointed one". But my ancient Greek does not reach any farther than my marquant Greek nose. (the X replacing the KH)(CHi)
I understand your explanations. I think.

(I got it Dale, thanks)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 09/29/07 09:40 PM
marquant = prominent

-ron (noticeably) obvious
Posted By: Jackie Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 02:14 AM
ron (marquantly) obvious :-)

Branny--is that you, in your new picture??

Edit: looks like your chute is failing...
Posted By: BranShea Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 05:26 AM
Yes, hah! me and my twin sky-diving. Never mind the chutes.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 09:40 AM
looks like someone ate the chute and left.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 02:17 PM
Chute sandwich? With or without with fresh au jus?

French Dip with fresh au jus
Posted By: BranShea Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 04:55 PM
All right than , Jackie. You wanne see a bird, you see a bird.
No chutes or twins, just the brown pelican.
I've tumbled enough for one day.
And I can recommend the French Dip.
About one year ago there was a thread about 'redundancy' in which "au jus sauce " was dicussed. I think TedRemington recommended the food and I took it and it was very good.
Low calories, high satisfaction. Totally "state-of-the-art".
Posted By: Myridon Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 09:55 PM
<just a bit of silliness>
In a pedantic nit-picking way, I'm not entirely sure there's such a thing as "fresh" au jus. The sauce as a whole could be freshly prepared, but the main ingredient is a by-product of roasting the beef. Does the freshness of the sauce then depend on whether the beef was fresh or frozen? Can you make fresh au jus from aged beef? And must you freshly grind the pepper, etc, as well?

And to say "French Dip with fresh au jus", does that mean that the sandwich itself is possibly leftover from last week and resurrected from its moldy staleness by the application of some sauce from a newly opened can?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 11:49 PM
It is not nitpicking, you are perfectly right. I give you the menu-item. (took a picture)
French Dip. A classic sandwich:
Thin sliced roast beef on a french roll accompanied by fresh au jus.

The sliced roast beef was pretty good and the fruit a real good fresh mixture. The "au jus" was pretty artificial but I'm not much of a dipper anyway. You are right, nothing on a menu guarantees how they put things together. But it was good, fresh and what I like 'light', tasty and satisfactory. The perfect lunch.

The next day my son roasted beef on the barbeque which we ate with good bread and had fun saying: "without the with au jus".
No matter how refined, it's hard for any restaurant to beat good home cooking.i.m.o.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/01/07 11:55 PM
I'd've thought that fresh au jus could distinguished from frozen, powdered, or canned. Of course, if their chili con harhar was out of a tin can, all bets're off.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/02/07 11:56 AM
I usually choose french dip with au jus whenever I go out.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/02/07 12:41 PM
The whole thing was table talk subject. If it's freshly rightly done the au 'juice' should be exactly as fresh as the roast beef, so the "fresh" in that menu line was a laugh anyway.
The whole point was to do it one year after TRmt or maybe it was you Etaoin recommended it.
We went on about French Fries that are called Pommes Frites in France and Chips in England and Patates Frites in Dutch and Frieten in Belgium.
Yes,Myridon, all pretty silly stuff.
Still, it was fine.
Posted By: Myridon Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/02/07 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I'd've thought that fresh au jus could distinguished from frozen, powdered, or canned.

That's freshly-prepared au jus which I specifically mentioned was not what I was talking about. I was being playful with the sense of fresh as in (to make up an example) almondine of fresh green beans where fresh doesn't refer to a quality of the finished dish but the state of the ingredient(s) prior to cooking. Arguably, the juice doesn't even exist before the meat is cooked so you could claim au jus is fresh even if the meat was rancid. Roasted mammoth with fresh au jus - the mammoth has been dead for 10,000 years, but I just made the jus. ^^
Posted By: nancyk Re: Xing, Xingped, Xmas - 10/03/07 06:37 PM
The "au" in "au jus" means "with," giving us very strange constructions when you treat the phrase as a unit, such as "fresh with-juice" and "with-juice is fresh."
© Wordsmith.org