Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alex Williams faffing joy-bullet? - 09/18/07 04:12 PM
From The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence:

Feisal, within, laboured day and night at his politics, in which so few of us could help. Outside, the crowd employed and diverted us with parades, joy-shooting, and marches of victory. Also there were accidents. Once a group, playing behind our tents, set off a seaplane bomb, dud relic of Boyle’s capture of the town. In the explosion their limbs were scattered about the camp, marking the canvas with red splashes which soon turned a dull brown and then faded pale. Feisal had the tents changed and ordered the bloody ones to be destroyed: the frugal slaves washed them. Another day a tent took fire, and part-roasted three of our guests. The camp crowded round and roared with laughter till the fire died down, and then, rather shamefacedly, we cared for their hurts. The third day, a mare was wounded by a faffing joy-bullet, and many tents were pierced

Does anyone know what a faffing joy-bullet is?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: faffing joy-bullet? - 09/18/07 04:47 PM
you've observed those scenes in LoA where bunches of Arabs are circling around on their camels, randomly firing their rifles into the air in celebration of some minor triumph? those would be faffing joy-bullets.

faff - Brit. to spend your time doing a lot of unimportant things instead of the thing that you should be doing

-joe (faffing) friday
Posted By: themilum Re: faffing joy-bullet? - 09/18/07 05:06 PM
faffing joy bullet

faffing: doing what you are not suppose to do.
joy-bullet: from-joy shooting into the air

So a joy-bullet that faffed, wounded a mare and other joy-bullets pierced a lot of tents.

And he who can find a sexual analogy in the phrase must have the devil in their pocket. I know, I tried.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: faffing joy-bullet? - 09/18/07 05:19 PM
Okay, got it. A stray bullet fired in celebration. So, basically, the Arabs had rednecks too. As for a sexual analogy, I guess you would have to make it an effing joy bullet?
Posted By: Myridon Re: faffing joy-bullet? - 09/18/07 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: themilum
I know, I tried.

Seems pretty easy to me, esp easy if you add in the tent piercing bit.
Posted By: themilum Re: faffing joy-bullet? - 09/18/07 10:32 PM
Really? Ok, explain the sordid details in detail, dear Myridon.
Posted By: Jackie Re: faffing joy-bullet? - 09/19/07 02:21 PM
So, basically, the Arabs had rednecks too. HA! :-))
Originally Posted By: themilum
Really? Ok, explain the sordid details in detail, dear Myridon.

Feisal, within, laboured day and night at his "politics," in which so few of us could help...
© Wordsmith.org