Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BlanchePatch Help! I need one good word! - 03/20/01 07:29 PM
A challenge: I'm currently writing about anthropomorphism and I need a better, shorter, wittier way to say "anthropomorphic being." We're surrounded by them: from Mickey Mouse to the smiling Mac icon (are emoticons anthropomorphic typographic characters?), but, oddly, there's no single word or nickname to describe them. At least that I know of….

Preëmptive YART alert: there's an old thread about anthropomorphic inanimate objects, but I need a word for anything that's been anthropomorphized. And besides, no one could think of anything.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/20/01 07:49 PM
anthropoid? humanoid? animate? humanesque?
Posted By: of troy Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/20/01 08:38 PM
that because micky mouse -- a cartoon character is very different that the icons--smiley faces..

what kind of anthropomorphic being-- is it a holo (hologram)? or a toon? (roger rabbit?) or slightly sexual camel?
and if it a story about a collection of such images-- it might be time to coin your own word...
(Don't ask me!)

Posted By: BlanchePatch Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/20/01 09:29 PM
The writing I'm doing is about all anthropomorphic creatures: animal, vegetable, mineral, celestial bodies and spiritual ones. I'm going to have to refer to them as a group over and over -- I desperately need a short form. And I think the English language needs a word, cause these our culture is crawling with these guys! The best I've been able to come up with is "humankinda," a portmanteau word.

Maybe there's a word in another language?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/20/01 09:38 PM
you could, I suppose, borrow the Hebraic golem, an artificially created human supernaturally endowed with life.

Posted By: wow Re: need good word pseudoanthros? - 03/20/01 11:39 PM
Dear tsuwm, It's my understanding that a golem can take on a life separate from it's "creator's" intention and is often an ugly spirit which can and usually does great harm and the "creator" is not immune.
Where is Shoshannah when we need her?
wow

How about pseudoanthros (fake humans?)
Posted By: Hyla Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/20/01 11:56 PM
Recognizing that it's a bit of a bastardization, how about "anthromorph?"

Rather than nouning the verb, this would be nouning the adjective (and dropping out a few letters for pronounceability).

Posted By: inselpeter Maharal - 03/21/01 03:52 AM
you could, I suppose, borrow the Hebraic golem, an artificially created human supernaturally endowed with life.

Composed of dust and once, at least, one was made to protect his people.

It's my understanding that a golem can take on a life separate from it's "creator's" intention and is often an ugly spirit which can and usually does great harm and the "creator" is not immune.

The Maharal's was only sad. It has been said, if not recently then not too long ago, that *that* golem is a heap of dust in a box in the attic of the Great Synagogue in Prague.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/21/01 03:53 AM
"anthropl"

Posted By: maverick Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/21/01 11:41 AM
"anthromorph?"

Yep, I'm with you Hyla. It has the right taste and rhythm.

Posted By: shanks Given the fact that... - 03/21/01 11:44 AM
...there's an epidemic of them, how about:

anthracts ?

cheer

the snarkwozaboojumuc

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/21/01 11:46 AM
BlancheP

If inanimates can become animates, the Converse might go, too.
For example, sneakers with flashing lights make the wearer feel like an airplane.
Couldn't you say the same about anthropomorphism itself, that the anthropomorphic *image* is a two-way street?
Here, is "entthros" (en-throhss) for your considered rejection.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/21/01 12:41 PM
Hyla's "anthromorph" is perfect, IMHO. It sounds just artificial enough to imply the artificial humanity that is the hallmark of the anthromorph.

Flatlander

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/21/01 07:46 PM
Yup, and it could easily be adapted to cartoon characters like Transformers.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/21/01 07:51 PM
What a week! My private mail box fuller than ever (having prodded y'all to keep it that way in a previous post), and someone saying a word I've coined before this august bunch is perfect!

Think I'll stick around.

Hyla

Posted By: Faldage Re: Anthromorph - 03/21/01 08:09 PM
The only claim to bastardization I can see here is the dropping of the -po- from anthropomorph. The loss of the -ic fits well with the existing ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph from their respective -ic forms. I vote for anthromorph, too.

Incidentally, M-W gives a stylized human figure (as in prehistoric art) as a definition for anthropomorph

Posted By: BlanchePatch Word suggestions - 03/21/01 08:49 PM
This is wonderful! And so much fun. I really appreciate everybody's help with this. So far, here are the contenders:

animate
anthracts
anthro (shorthand by default)
anthromorph
anthrop
anthropoid
entthros
golem
humanesque
humankinda
humanoid
personate (suggested by a friend)
pseudoanthros

Anyone else want to weigh in? How about sharing your preference?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Word suggestions - 03/22/01 03:17 PM
I'm with the masses on this one; anthromorph conveys the underlying meaning and sounds good too.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Word suggestions (MHO) - 03/22/01 04:19 PM
Just some of my quick gut reactions:

animate-------------------------------------------Already means something else
anthracts-----------------------------------------Sounds too much like antrhax
anthro (shorthand by default)-------------Too short, common term for anthropology
anthromorph-------------------------------------I'm leaning towards the unabrreviated anthropomorh which means what you want anyway, I think
anthrop--------------------------------------------Again, too short
anthropoid----------------------------------------Commonly used in the phrase anthropoid apes, I wouldn't want that connotation
entthros-------------------------------------------Doesn't ring right, or as our mia xara would say, doesn't taste right.
golem----------------------------------------------Already means something else, too grotesque
humanesque------------------------------------Might be OK if you're looking for an adjective, doesn't hack it as a noun
humankinda-------------------------------------Too slangy
humanoid-----------------------------------------Maybe, but definitely second to anthro(po)morph
personate (suggested by a friend)-------I was going to say something else, but this one is growing on me
pseudoanthros----------------------------------I'd drop the first o giving pseudanthros but I still don't quite like it.

Posted By: BlanchePatch Re: Help! I need one good word! - 03/23/01 07:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions for this thorny problem. My colaborator and I are going to try out Hyla's "anthromorph" and see if it sticks. I'll let you all know if anything comes of our project!

Thanks much!

Posted By: wow Re: Word suggestions - 03/23/01 08:00 PM
pseudoanthros-----I'd drop the first o giving pseudanthros but I still don't quite like it.

One can but try. {sigh}
wow

Posted By: shanks Re: Word suggestions (MHO) - 03/27/01 11:18 AM
anthracts-----------------------------------------Sounds too much like antrhax

It was supposed to. (See context.)

I have to admit that, though I like my coinage, anthromorph is probably the best of the lot.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: AnnaStrophic anthromorph - 03/27/01 08:45 PM
I like this the best, too.
Note there is a children's series called "Animorphs" which may add or detract via its resonance.

© Wordsmith.org