Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra Hapax legomenon? - 08/03/07 05:19 AM
Quote:
praedormitary adjective of or relating to the twilight state of semi-consciousness immediately preceding sleep.

ORIGIN ?

I found this word in Speak, Memory by Nabokov. It gets 4 Google-hits, all from said memoir.

I prepared the definition myself, based on hypnopompic:

Quote:
hypnopompic adjective of or relating to the twilight state of semi-consciousness immediately preceding waking up.

ORIGIN from Greek hupnos "sleep" and pompe "sending away".

Is it in a dictionary? What might the origin of this wonderful word be?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hapax legomenon? - 08/03/07 06:10 AM
you'll find that the usual contrast to hypnopompic is hypnogogic (also hypnagogic), thus obviating any need for this word.

edit: dormitary is an obsolete term for sleep-inducing; cf. dormitive -- so pre- and post- could follow, perforce.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Hapax legomenon? - 08/03/07 06:58 AM
So do you think Nabokov just made it up?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hapax legomenon? - 08/03/07 07:47 AM
why not? someone has to do these things!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Hapax legomenon? - 08/03/07 09:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Hydra

Is it in a dictionary? What might the origin of this wonderful word be?

You want to give us the context from the Nabokov?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Hapax legomenon? - 08/03/07 02:53 PM
So do you think Nabokov just made it up?

Yes. He was a master of language. He is one of the few authors I can think of who is (rightly) famous for works that he wrote in two different languages: i.e., Russian and English. He is credited with having coined the word nymphet.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Hapax legomenon? - 08/11/07 05:17 AM
Quote:
You want to give us the context from the Nabokov?

Well, it's defininitely not a hapax legomenon... I just came across it in a short story, also by Nabokov.

Here's your context:

Quote:
Just before falling sleep, I often became aware of a one-sided conversation going on in an adjacent section of my mind, quite independent from the actual trend of my thoughts. It is a neutral, detached, anonymous voice, which I catch saying words of no importance to me whatever—an English or a Russian sentence, not even addressed to me, and so trivial that I hardly dare give samples, lest the flatness I wish to convey be marred by a molehill of sense. This silly phenomenon seems to be the auditory counterpart of certain praedormitary visions, which I also know well.

Speak, Memory: An Autobiography Revisited, p.28.

Quote:
Presently he sleeps, he sleeps, and, since, on his convict's cot, not a single praedormitory thought troubles him ...

—Tyrants Destroyed, ch. 14.
© Wordsmith.org