Wordsmith.org
last night, i was busy, and just left TV on PBS while i was knitting.
a repeat of Antique Roadshow came on, and at the end, as the credits are rolling, there are a bunch of visitors comments (there is a booth set up for visitors to make video comments.)

One person said, I had a ball.. I wouldn't have come, but my friend drug me along.

i heard that before--drug as the past tense of drag.
(i have heard and used brang too
(bring, brang, brung)--a now obsolete (and considered incorrect) form of the that irregular verb.

how about you? do you get dragged places by your friends?
or do you get drug along?
(and if you can bring/brung why not drag/drug?)
I consider it an idiomatic usage, in either case, but prefer dragged to drug...No clue why though.
drug

I recognize it, but don't use it, even in informal speech. It may be a regionalism. I'm from the Left Coast.
I use mainly "drug."
"Dragged" sounds a little off to me.

It's funny you mention this, b/c something been weirding me out a little lately. I keep reading in various articles that someone "pleaded guilty" or "pleaded not guilty."

I've always thought it was "pled" when used in this manner.

I always thought one has "pled" guilty or not guilty, but one "pleaded with" a person from whom one wanted something.

Example - I've never heard of this person, before here's an example usage I just saw today:
"Grammy-nominated rapper Remy Ma pleaded not guilty to attempted murder..."
Dragged. Sheesh.
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
I use mainly "drug."
"Dragged" sounds a little off to me.

It's funny you mention this, b/c something been weirding me out a little lately. I keep reading in various articles that someone "pleaded guilty" or "pleaded not guilty."

I've always thought it was "pled" when used in this manner.

I've noticed this change in NZ news reporting over the last 12 months or so. It always used to be "pled (not) guilty", now it's invariably "pleaded". shift happens
Dragged and pled get my vote.
Drug sonds like a regionalism and pleaded just sounds wrong.
i hear you (metaphorically speakin', that is.....); I feel dichotomous in loving slang, but hating what appears to be mis-use (i know, the language grows not necessarily along the path that the purist grammar police would have it grow, but instead where the mindless public usage meanders), and bastardization of words...... especially offensive is the use by otherwise intelligent commentators (to my everlasting shame, i'm a news junkie, so i watch a lot of talking head "news" shows) of the word hypothetical as a noun, instead of the perfectly good adjective that it is.
as a noun??
as in "It is a hypothetical."?
erk
Originally Posted By: Zed
as a noun??
as in "It is a hypothetical."?
erk

What have you lot got against synecdoche? The noun is obviously implicit here, and can be understood from context. One of my favourite examples of this sort of thing comes from Hindi, where the phrase "main hoon na" does not carry its apparent literal meaning of "I am not", but means "I'm here (for you)", being a contraction of something like "main yahaan hoon, na? (I'm here, aren't I?)" Similarly with "It's a hypothetical". The expanded meaning is obvious, and in time, the currently implicit noun will no doubt be built in to the definition of "hypothetical".
I keep reading in various articles that someone "pleaded guilty" or "pleaded not guilty." I've always thought it was "pled" when used in this manner.

Big* discussion at the weekly editorial meeting when I was a reporter and covered the courts. Pleaded is correct although it is often spoken as pled. Course the Word came from The Editor and one does not question The Editor.

(Why does Editor have a cap E?
For the same reason God has a cap G.)
Quote:
The noun is obviously implicit here, and can be understood from context.

If so I have no problem with it. Is that what you meant Redryder?
I've always been taught to say 'dragged' and 'pleaded' here in the uk, with drug, pled, etc.. seen as colloquialisms or one of those things that really annoyed teachers in highschool.

A similar word that's been amongst my family and friends quite a long time is 'fruck', as in 'he fruck out' or even adding an additional -ed, 'I was frucked out'...
© Wordsmith.org