Wordsmith.org
I'm wondering what the term for those iconic figures along roadways and in towns, etc. is. You know the big pelican in Pelican Rapids, or the otter in Ottertail County, Paul Bunyan in whereever he's to be found.
Paul Bunyan in whereever he's to be found

Brainerd, Minnesota. Totem or fetish?
namesake? icon? simulacre? Probably you've been there already and I am yodeling to the shepherds, but if not:

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/icon
Welcome JJ
I think of them as mascots if I think of them. I don't know what I would call the inanimate versions like Vegreville's giant Ukranian Easter egg.
What represents the twin cities?
Originally Posted By: Zed

What represents the twin cities?

well, there's ..
Omg, tsuwm--does the image button work now, or did you do some of your magic?
Is the black spike in the berry a part of the sculpture or part of the city skyscape ?
Whichever - it's intriguing - of course I would have turned the spoon over so children could get on, climb up the handle and slide across the pond on the upsidedown bowl.
But I know I know ... I admit it .... I am odd.
here's another view of Claes Oldenburg's Spoonbridge and Cherry in the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden..

Edit: the Image button does work!
Love it! Where does it tell you how to insert a photo, and is that an ok thing to do

That is, does it meet protocol
There are several problems with linking to photos from other web sites. The main one is that it causes increased traffic on the other site. Any time someone brings up this page it is a hit on any pages that this page has img links to. If enough people are looking at this page the other pages can get too much traffic and it could overload the server that the images are on.
© Wordsmith.org