Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sugbad the Bad The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/23/07 10:28 AM
If a '-phobe' fears something and a '-phile' loves it, what'd be the suffix for someone who merely dislikes it please?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/23/07 03:30 PM
Though it's not a suffix, a misliker is one who dislikes
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/23/07 06:16 PM
and, I suppose, a disliker is one who mislikes?!

-joe (I suffer from phobologophobia) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/24/07 01:34 AM
Sugbad, wish I could help you, but I'm not knowledgeable enough; welcome, though!

phobologophobia Fear of shedding light on words?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/24/07 04:00 AM
>phobologophobia Fear of shedding light on words?

wouldn't that be summat like photologophobia?

-joe (nothing to fear but fear itself) friday
Posted By: Sugbad the Bad Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/24/07 06:13 AM
Thanks all. I've been sent a link to a Suffix Dictionary but what I actually need would be the same thing in reverse, as it's much too big to sift through: one wouldn't flick through a normal dictionary, starting from A, to find out what the black-and-white stripy horse is called, eh?

By the way, I'm quite prepared to invent a word for it, if that's necessary. I've been pondering on this for some time - at one time I thought the suffix might be '-mach', but a) I can't remember why and b) I recall deciding that'd be wrong.

Someone better educated than I am (that'd be most people) tells me that I need to find someone well versed in Greek.... but I fear that Archaic Greek might be nearer the mark.

Thanks anyway

S the B
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/24/07 12:46 PM
I've been pondering on this for some time - at one time I thought the suffix might be '-mach', but a) I can't remember why and b) I recall deciding that'd be wrong.

I know of no suffix -mach in English or Classical Greek. Some words end in -mach, as in in stomach (from Greek, via Latin, στομαχος (stomakhos) 'gullet' fr. στομα (stoma) 'mouth', you can see that the m belongs to the original word/root, and that -akhos is some kind of diminutive suffix), and there are some words that are compounds from Greek that come from an original makhē 'battle' (e.g., theomachy 'war of the gods' fr. Gk θεομαχια (theomakhia)).
Posted By: Sugbad the Bad Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/24/07 02:59 PM
Funny you should say that, zmjezhd, as I've been browsing the aforementioned Suffix Dictionary and have found this:

-MACHY n combining form -ES [Gk -machia, fr. mache battle,
fight <fr. machesthai to battle, fight) + -ia -y] : warfare : contest between or by means of (logomachy)

...which clearly has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. There's nothing for '-math', either, which came to mind after I read your post as a possible skew in my memory but which I thought possible.

Browsing further down I had cause to slap my forehead in annoyance when I came across:

MIS- or MISO- combining form Gk, fr. misein to hate + misos
hatred : hatred (misogynic) (misoneism) (misosophy)

...of course, misanthrope etc., maybe I should be looking for a prefix instead? But even with that we're still in Hatred territory, whereas I'm looking for mere dislike. I don't really hate very much: but there are loads of things which **** me off a bit!
Posted By: Sugbad the Bad Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/24/07 03:00 PM
Note to self: when I edit my text I should read it over before pressing 'Submit'. Sorry about that.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 06/26/07 11:49 AM
I think the best suffix as an answer to your question is -phobe itself. While it may derive from a literal fear of something, in common use it also means simply an aversion or a dislike. Whether the user means to imply that the aversion is the result of an actual phobia -- the politically-charged term "homophobia" comes to mind -- is up to the user I guess. Applying -phobe to everyday objects seems a bit like overkill in any case. Is our current POTUS a broccoliphobe or does he simply not care for broccoli. As for myself, I am definitely an okraphobe. Indeed, I fear the okra.
Posted By: Friend Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 11/28/07 10:37 PM
Hey go to this link:

http://www.lexfiles.com/basic-grk-m-z.html

and go to the area that says phobe. I think that might answer your question.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 11/28/07 10:52 PM
Quote:
sometimes this Greek element means a strong dislike or hatred for something

and you'll see that if you look to many of the online phobia lists.

-joe (sesquipedalophilia) friday
Posted By: Zed Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 11/29/07 12:49 AM
anti- ?
or does that mis- the mark?

(still a pre- not a suf- though)
Posted By: BranShea Re: The suffix for 'dislike' - 11/29/07 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Alex Williams
the politically-charged term "homophobia" comes to mind -- is up to the user I guess. Applying -phobe to everyday objects seems a bit like overkill in any case. Is our current POTUS a broccoliphobe or does he simply not care for broccoli. As for myself, I am definitely an okraphobe. Indeed, I fear the okra.

No : too strong nausea. When I'm in a crowd I can get a light stroke of homonoia. I do like okra. I never have okranoia nor do I dislike spiders so I do not suffer from arachnonoia.
Homonoia: not in the mood, not having the right mind for people.

(though I keep saying dislike)
© Wordsmith.org