Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra It just got more confusing... - 05/30/07 07:21 AM
I reluctantly add to the vexing "synecdoche or metonymy" question the following two terms:

Quote:
Pars pro toto is Latin for "(taking) a part for the whole"; it is a kind of synecdoche. When used in a context of language it means that something is named after a part of it (or after a limited characteristic, in itself not necessarily representative for the whole). E.g. "glasses" is a "pars pro toto" name for something that consists of more than just two pieces of glass. The opposite of a pars pro toto is a totum pro parte, in which the whole is used to describe a part.

Quote:
Totum pro parte is Latin for "(taking) the whole for a part"; it refers to a kind of synecdoche. When used in a context of language it means that something is named after something of which it is only a part (or only a limited characteristic, in itself not necessarily representative for the whole). A pars pro toto is the opposite of a totum pro parte in which a part is used to describe the whole.

Do we have an exploding head smilie?
Posted By: BranShea Re: It just got more confusing... - 05/30/07 09:57 AM
As long as you stick to the anisotropic approach you get a fine smile from me. (<^^>)
Posted By: Zed Re: It just got more confusing... - 05/30/07 11:26 PM
So "Nice wheels" is an example of pars pro toto.
and an example of totum pro parte would be ...
ummm ...
er ...
anyone?
Posted By: Snap Re: It just got more confusing... - 05/31/07 02:55 AM
Perhaps "nice shirt" when you are really complimenting the print on the fabric, not the collar details or the feel of the fabric or the overall style.
Posted By: BranShea Re: It just got more confusing... - 05/31/07 01:13 PM
Apologies for the lame response, Hydra. Synecdoche as a figure of speech seems to me to be the exact synonym for both the latin figures of speech.

So for examples both ways:

examples
Posted By: Hydra Re: It just got more confusing... - 05/31/07 05:52 PM
I've only just got my head around the whole synecdoche/metonymy thing.

I have decided the best thing is just to pretend I never saw those two waggish Latinisms.
© Wordsmith.org