Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/09/07 11:03 AM
We ran into the word "jarmies" the other day in a context that suggests it means "pajamas" (or, if you prefer, "pyjamas").

A) is this what it means?

and

2) is that a non-rhotic R in there, included only to suggest the correct pronunciation of the preceding A?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/09/07 03:00 PM
Apparently so. It gets the better part of five thousand Ghits, the first of which:

Olly & George - beautiful things to wish forCotton twill jarmies in grey floral with button front and elastic waist. Generous fit. Available in the following sizes: Small 8-10 Medium 12-14 Large 16 ...
http://www.ollyandgeorge.com.au/thebook/products/Womens-Grey-Floral-Winter-Jarmies

,including the very fetching snapshot
Posted By: Myridon Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/09/07 07:09 PM
When I go there to buy my jarmies, can I also pick up the lastest season of "Laura Norder: SVU" on DVD? or will I have to Amarzon.com? (^_^)
Posted By: olly Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/09/07 09:18 PM
Kia ora all,
Jarmies are also worn in NZ as are Peejays! I pronounce the 'R' so i would think it is 'rhotic', in Kiwi land at least.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/09/07 10:08 PM
Kia ora olly,

James jammed his jarmies into the washing machine.
Peter put his Peejays in as well.
Posted By: olly Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/09/07 11:05 PM
I've heard them called Jimjams on occasion as well.
James Jammed his Jimjams. Try not to read too much into that!
Posted By: Zed Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/10/07 07:55 PM
Here they are PJ's or jammies.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/11/07 02:32 PM
Never heard of them being called jaRmies. But pajamas is pronounced pajAHmas--not with the center a having that nasty, nasal sound that comes if pronounced like the a in and. And, by the way, has two syllables...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/11/07 04:24 PM
Many brands of English are non-rhotic. In UK orthography, in a Vr combination, the r is not pronounced and the V may be changed, too: hence, erm is pronounced with a non-rhotic schwa, and approximates the US transcription um. I was looking into this the other day, as somebody pointed out a bit of strangeness in the opening chapter of Winnie the Pooh, with a cryptic reference to Winnie ther Pooh. I told them it was probably the difference between thee and thuh which alternates in pronunciation and meaning. See this interesting take on it.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/11/07 04:57 PM
Cute Adult Footie Pajamas.

(Sorry,I thought this little add at Online Etymology too funny to let go by.)

Relive Your Childhood w/ Footed PJs. Great Prices - Global Shipping.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/11/07 08:46 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Many brands of English are non-rhotic. In UK orthography, in a Vr combination, the r is not pronounced and the V may be changed, too: hence, erm is pronounced with a non-rhotic schwa, and approximates the US transcription um....

So to answer Faldo's second question, Nuncle, would jarmies indeed be a case of non-rhoticism?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/11/07 08:51 PM
Faldo/ASp> So to answer Faldo's second question, Nuncle, would jarmies indeed be a case of non-rhoticism?

olly> I pronounce the 'R' so i would think it is 'rhotic', in Kiwi land at least.

-joe (you guys is tryin' to confusticate me) friday
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/11/07 09:00 PM
Yeahbut Kiwis don't talk like Aussies.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Jarmies (Oz slang) - 05/11/07 09:14 PM
Y'all got me ...
© Wordsmith.org