Wordsmith.org
Posted By: John Graham storm(y) petrel - 05/07/07 11:12 AM
re stormy petrel (7 May 2007): strictly speaking, when the phrase refers to birds rather than (metaphorically) to humans, it should be "storm petrel". The Collins guide to European birds lists six storm-petrels, of which the commonest (the European storm-petrel) has the charming Latin name "hydrobates pelagicus", which means "oceanic water-walker".
Posted By: pharrside Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/07/07 03:18 PM
Your introduction to this week's theme mentioned many ways in which we malign various birds. I though I should mention one more "for the record," that being the albatross. I don't think the week would be complete without at least one reference to this magnificent bird, and maligned it has been indeed! (But perhaps you will have the albatross make an appearance later this week - I surely do hope so!) Thanks, Anu.
Posted By: mclean Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/08/07 12:58 AM
If the Stormy (or Storm) Petrel is also known as "Mother Carey's Chicken", can someone please tell me who is, or was, "Mother Carey"?
Posted By: fmbrowniii Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/08/07 02:06 PM
Because the birds apparently warned of storms the sailors called them Mother Carey's Chicken's. Mother Carey is a corruption of "Mater Cara" which is was a name for the Blessed Virgin Mary. So Mother Carey's Chickens meant the Virgin Mary's Chickens.

The Stormy Petrels do not go to land except to mate and nest, so at sea the birds hide in the lee of passing ships during storms. So if suddenly there were a bunch of storm petrels along side your boat, it was a hint that a storm was approaching.
Posted By: K_D Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/30/07 08:14 AM
Very interesting indeed ! [:D]
Posted By: Zed Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/30/07 11:28 PM
I wonder how many sailors blamed the birds for the storm instead of the other way around.
Hi Kishore, welcome.
Posted By: Faldage Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/31/07 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Zed
I wonder how many sailors blamed the birds for the storm instead of the other way around.
Hi Kishore, welcome.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, eh?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/31/07 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: Zed
Hi Kishore, welcome.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, eh?

Post hawk ergo propter hawk...
Posted By: BranShea Re: storm(y) petrel - 05/31/07 01:04 PM
Posted By: Jackie Re: storm(y) petrel - 06/07/07 02:41 PM
Trying to get Q&A caught up, today. Welcome, new folks, and look what I found--this must be a really "holy" bird!
Old-time mariners called the bird Mother Carey's chicken, a derivation from mater cara, the Virgin Mary, a reference to its habit of walking on the water surface. The word petrel is derived from "Little Peter", a reference to St. Peter who was able to walk on water with Christ's help.
St. Peter

Bonus quiz: who knows (without looking it up) what pelagic means? (I just found out.)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: storm(y) petrel - 06/07/07 03:19 PM
hint: the same as pelagian

: )
Posted By: Jackie Re: storm(y) petrel - 06/08/07 02:33 PM
[sticking tongue out e] ;-)
© Wordsmith.org