Wordsmith.org
Posted By: lairdnorduwyn Is there a word for this? - 03/01/07 12:25 PM
I'm familiar with the word "ailurophiles", but to my great disappointment, I've been unable to find a comparable word for dog-lovers. I would very much appreciate knowing if such a term exists.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/01/07 12:29 PM
You've come to the right place, Laird. I can't think of the word, but someone will.
Posted By: Curuinor Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/01/07 01:19 PM
Should be cynophiles, as opposed to cynophobia. I'll go look it up.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/01/07 01:32 PM
welcome, laird.

since cyno is Greek for dog, looks like the Cur is on it.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/01/07 01:42 PM
choose one:
canophilist (OED)
cynophilist (M-W unab.)
philocynic(!) (OED)

Latin canis
Greek kyon
Posted By: Zed Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/01/07 11:31 PM
Welcome Laird, there are plenty of fellow cynics here.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/02/07 01:16 AM
The original cynics being so called because they hung out at the White Dog Gym.
Posted By: lairdnorduwyn Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/03/07 03:01 PM
Thank you so much! As I am a devoted "cynophilist", this word should definitely be in my vocabulary. I appreciate your help!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Is there a word for this? - 03/03/07 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
The original cynics being so called because they hung out at the White Dog Gym.

The Cynic contempt for the refinements and conventions of polite society is generally given as the reason for the name dogs (kúnes) by which the first representatives of the school were known. According to some authorities, however, the name Cynic arose from the fact that the first representatives of the school were accustomed to meet in the gymnasium of Cynosarges. - Catholic Encyclopedia
Posted By: Jackie Still learning... - 03/09/07 02:58 PM
Top Web Results for "cynics"

1 result for: cynics

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
cyn·ic (sĭn'ĭk)

n.
1. A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.
2. A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.
3. Cynic A member of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who believed virtue to be the only good and self-control to be the only means of achieving virtue.

adj.
1. Cynical.
2. Cynic Of or relating to the Cynics or their beliefs.

[Latin cynicus, Cynic philosopher, from Greek kunikos, from kuōn, kun-, dog; see kwon- in Indo-European roots.]

Word History: A cynic may be pardoned for thinking that this is a dog's life. The Greek word kunikos, from which cynic comes, was originally an adjective meaning "doglike," from kuōn, "dog." The word was probably applied to the Cynic philosophers because of the nickname kuōn given to Diogenes of Sinope, the prototypical Cynic. He is reported to have been seen barking in public, urinating on the leg of a table, and masturbating on the street. The first use of the word recorded in English, in a work published from 1547 to 1564, is in the plural for members of this philosophical sect. In 1596 we find the first instance of cynic meaning "faultfinder," a sense that was to develop into our modern sense. The meaning "faultfinder" came naturally from the behavior of countless Cynics who in their pursuit of virtue pointed out the flaws in others. Such faultfinding could lead quite naturally to the belief associated with cynics of today that selfishness determines human behavior.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Still learning... - 03/10/07 12:30 AM
And I allus thunk it were cuz they hung out at the Grey Dog Gym.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Still learning... - 03/13/07 01:21 AM
who believed virtue to be the only good<<

What does 'virtue' mean in this definition?
Posted By: Aramis Re: Still learning... - 03/13/07 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

...The meaning "faultfinder" came naturally from the behavior of countless Cynics who in their pursuit of virtue pointed out the flaws in others. Such faultfinding could lead quite naturally to the belief associated with cynics of today that selfishness determines human behavior.

Well, we certainly will not find any of those around here.
Posted By: themilum Re: Still learning... - 03/14/07 01:05 AM
Originally Posted By: inselpeter
who believed virtue to be the only good<<

What does 'virtue' mean in this definition?

Say it, inselpeter, what does "virtue" mean in any definition?

I'll tell if you don't.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Still learning... - 03/14/07 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: themilum
what does "virtue" mean in any definition?

I'll tell if you don't.

Do tell. The brick and mortar OED goes on for more than two pages on defintions of "virtue."
Posted By: themilum Re: Still learning... - 03/14/07 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: themilum
what does "virtue" mean in any definition?

I'll tell if you don't.

Do tell. The brick and mortar OED goes on for more than two pages on defintions of "virtue."

Need I remind you, Mister Faldage, that the OED merely jots down usage as they run across it, but in the pedestrian world down below "meaning" differs by degrees, with each speaker, and at each spoke.

Not that the OED is a bad thing -- it's not -- but its worth is small potatoes when compared to the "meanings" that can be derived and delimited by the structure and nature of language itself.

If you have ears willing to listen I will talk.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Still learning... - 03/15/07 02:21 AM
Ya know, these sound bite definitions have a way of sticking, even when the words used in the definition have shifted away from their older meanings. The Latin word that meant "virtue" could also mean "manliness" or "bravery" as well as "morality.". Rock Island's question is a good one and deserves more than a flippant answer.
© Wordsmith.org