Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Krakatua looking for word - 02/09/07 04:54 PM
All-
I am looking for the word that is opposite of ELDER. As in "my dad was the elder brother in the family, my crazy uncle tony was the _____"
All I can thing of is minor, but that doesn't sound right.

Thanks
krakatua
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: looking for word - 02/09/07 05:00 PM
younger
Posted By: Krakatua Re: looking for word - 02/09/07 05:09 PM
appropriate of course, anything else?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: looking for word - 02/09/07 05:25 PM
or youngest, in that instance, though the prescriptivists might not like it.

:¬ )
Posted By: themilum Re: looking for word - 02/09/07 05:49 PM
last-born

Who, here in the South, is aways referred to as "The Baby" until "The Baby" is the only sibling left alive. Then the designation "The Baby" is considered to be somewhat superfluous; but old habits are hard to break so even old timers of ninty-nine years are still called "The Baby".
Posted By: belMarduk Re: the baby - 02/09/07 07:11 PM
Same thing here, Milum. My Grandfather's brother, though in his nineties, is still referred to as the baby when the group is being introduced to somebody.
Posted By: Aramis Re: looking for word - 02/09/07 07:42 PM
Quote:

or youngest, in that instance, though the prescriptivists might not like it.
:¬ )

Got that right, unless the other term was 'eldest'. Note that the sentence is not finished.
Posted By: nancyk Re: looking for word - 02/10/07 12:09 AM
>>last-born<<

My husband frequently refers to our two sons as Firstborn and Lastborn. You can do that when there are only two. Well, I never thought about it, but I guess you can also do it when there are more than two: Firstborn, Secondborn,Thirdborn...Lastborn!
Posted By: Zed Re: looking for word - 02/10/07 02:06 AM
An old fashioned term was the cadet but I don't know if that wuld do you any good these days.
Posted By: BranShea Re: looking for word - 02/10/07 10:34 AM
Quote:

An old fashioned term was the cadet but I don't know if that wuld do you any good these days.

Le fils cadet. Cadet is a present French word. They have the same clear system as the English. L'aîné : elder son, le cadet : younger son. Fem. Aînée-cadette.

In English and in Dutch a cadet means a military trainee (military academy). Plus a cadet-je is a small Dutch white bun. We made bread out of our military trainees.
I think when it comes to two siblings, using 'the elder'and the 'younger'is so very adaquate. Absolutely confusion-proof.It directly shows there are only two siblings.
Posted By: themilum Re: looking for word - 02/10/07 11:32 AM
Quote:

Le fils cadet. Cadet is a present French word. They have the same clear system as the English. L'aîné : elder son, le cadet : younger son. Fem. Aînée-cadette.

In English and in Dutch a cadet means a military trainee (military academy). Plus a cadet-je is a small Dutch white bun. We made bread out of our military trainees.
I think when it comes to two siblings, using 'the elder'and the 'younger'is so very adaquate. Absolutely confusion-proof.It directly shows there are only two siblings.

Ok BranShe, let me try out my Dutch/English/French by making up a sentence...

I once knew an aineee-cadette who enticed me with her cadet-je. She was quite adaquate.

How'd I do?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: looking for word - 02/10/07 12:02 PM
> It directly shows there are only two siblings.

I didn't realize we were trying show that there were only two. that's why I would use youngest.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: looking for word - 02/10/07 01:46 PM
Quote:

> It directly shows there are only two siblings.

I didn't realize we were trying show that there were only two. that's why I would use youngest.

"Elder" (older) implies to me one of two. Hence, "younger" for weird Uncle Tony.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: looking for word - 02/10/07 04:15 PM
In French Québec, cadet is still in use too, BranShea; to mean a military student also.

I find though, that like a lot of terms, it used mostly in written communication. In verbal communication, among friends, le bébé de la famille - the baby of the family - is still used.
Posted By: Zed Re: looking for word - 02/12/07 11:40 PM
I dated an air cadet when I was in high school. "Hey dad, if Ian and I fly to Victoria what time do I have to be home?" Poor Dad.
© Wordsmith.org