Wordsmith.org
Posted By: camilla a bit of brit - 02/05/07 11:52 AM
A news story last week described Camilla, of Charles and Camilla, as looking a bit "linsey-woolsey." Can anyone help me with the origin of that perfect bit of description?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: a bit of brit - 02/05/07 12:10 PM
Orig. a textile material, woven from a mixture of wool and flax; now, a dress material of coarse inferior wool, woven upon a cotton warp. (i.e., a mixture of linen and wool)

figuritively, a strange medley in talk or action; confusion, nonsense.

What linsie wolsy hast thou to speake to us againe.
- All's Well, WS
Posted By: of troy Re: a bit of brit - 02/05/07 12:33 PM
curiously, jewish law prohibbits it! It is considered wrong to mix fibers in this way!
linsey woolsy was often used for things like bench covers (on wagon cushions, or other outdoor/rough places.)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: a bit of brit - 02/05/07 12:53 PM
see Quinion for a comment on the Shakespearean use!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: a bit of brit - 02/05/07 03:17 PM
My immediate conjecture: By semantic drift, this ought to mean also ambiguous or befuddled, after the pols Linsey or Lidsey, and after woolly thinking: fuzzy; unclear; disorganized (see also tsu's link above)

Anyone else have this reaction
Posted By: ParkinT Re: a bit of brit - 02/05/07 06:59 PM
Quote:

curiously, jewish law prohibbits it! It is considered wrong to mix fibers in this way!
linsey woolsy was often used for things like bench covers (on wagon cushions, or other outdoor/rough places.)

Yes, according to the bible, one of the laws God handed to Moses was about mixing different types of clothing (along with instruction about marrying your daughter-in-law, wearing tatoos and shaving your beard). It is in Leviticus around chapter 20-21
© Wordsmith.org