Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Zed Dissociate between? - 01/22/07 11:48 PM
At a recent course the instructor kept referring to the need to "dissociate between" two similar neurological conditions.
Is this correct or would you, like me, differentiate between and dissociate from?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Dissociate between? - 01/23/07 02:17 PM
I would
Posted By: Marianna Re: Dissociate between? - 01/23/07 02:33 PM
I'd "differentiate between", and either "dissociate one from the other" or simply "dissociate both".
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Dissociate between? - 01/23/07 03:03 PM
Differentiate is clearly the correct word. He was probably just confused - or not quite awake. I make similar mistakes on occasion, particularly when I first wake up or when I go long periods with insufficient sleep or when I'm distracted.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Dissociate between? - 01/23/07 04:45 PM
As an ancient codger just entering senility and usu too lazy or forgetful to reread my own thread, so do I, don't even need to be sleepy or distracted
Posted By: ParkinT Re: Dissociate between? - 02/02/07 12:36 PM
Quote:

...particularly when I first wake up or when I go long periods with insufficient sleep or when I'm distracted.

That describes my constant state of being.

FF, are you in NOVA or the Sourthern part of VA?
Posted By: Aramis Re: Dissociate between? - 02/02/07 08:09 PM
Even the more critical among us can utter in haste utter folly. As today, discussing the potential for repairing some hybrid defects by welding adjacent leads, one asked, "do any have parylene coating?", the self-reproach being, "Obviously none will be parylene coated since they are all spares. Even were it otherwise, none of those boards would have left the plant with those parts on, STOOPID!"
Posted By: Zed Re: Dissociate between? - 02/03/07 12:06 AM
The first time I assumed it was a slip of the tongue, the second thru' seventh I just twitched and kept quiet.
© Wordsmith.org