Wordsmith.org
Posted By: slice hairy goat - 03/14/01 09:28 PM
Recently, a senior academic at Sydney University was heard to say "I'm running around like a hairy goat". Now this could just be a Quirky Dude living up to his job description, but he insisted this was a genuine, established, if possibly archaic expression. The Linguistics Department at another university is stumped. Any ideas, folks?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: hairy goat - 03/14/01 11:31 PM
In the Old Testament, the original Hebrew refers to a male goat as a hairy goat (as opposed to the female goat). The scape goat onto whom the sins of the whole people were put on the Day of Atonement was always a male goat. It was driven out into the desert to die. Thus, I opine, that to run around like a hairy goat is to run around like the scapegoat in the desert, trying not to be killed by wild beasts.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hairy goat - 03/15/01 12:14 AM
hircine - like a goat; having a goatish smell
hirsute - hairy; shaggy

coincidence? maybe...

oh, and here's a citation from the OED which will probably just muddy the waters:
1960 G. Slatter Gun in my Hand ii. 21 An' it ran like a hairy goat an' I did me chips.
Posted By: paulb Re: hairy goat - 03/15/01 11:41 AM
Hi Slice -- welcome to the board.

Sidney Baker's "The drum" (1959) has:
hairy goat, run like a (used esp. of racehorses): To perform badly in a race.

Posted By: Marianna Re: hairy goat - 03/15/01 02:09 PM
paulb found: hairy goat, run like a (used esp. of racehorses): To perform badly in a race.

Maybe all the hair makes for really bad aerodynamics?

Posted By: maverick Re: hairy goat - 03/15/01 02:16 PM
hairodynamics?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 06:41 PM
hairodynamics

Thanks, mav. Nice to see that someone is keeping the flame alive in TEd's absence.

In my hubris I seem to have taken it upon myself in recent days to bring things together. I wish to continue this by bringing together this "hairy goat" thread with the "cognomen" thread. I have a question for our Latin scholars. Almost a quarter of a century ago, I read Robert Graves' "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God". One of the few things to stick with me was some prophecy an oracle uttered, which centred around "Caesar" meaning "hairy one". Is this true? Is "Caesar" derived from some Latin word for hairy? Or was Bob just acting the goat?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 06:48 PM
max, what is this? you have come to harry Caesar and not to praise him??

Posted By: Faldage Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 07:33 PM
YCLIU, if you but knew where to look.

Try: http://cawley.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?stem=caesar&ending=

That's the page with the answer, which is yes

The page where you ask the question is:

http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 07:41 PM
http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm

Many thanks - added to Favourites.

Posted By: wwh Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:35 PM
I remember seeing the statement that there was a tradition of Caesar referring to a surgical delivery of an infant through an incision in the dying woman's abdomen, that there was a law authorizing this to be attempted when there were indications that the fetus was still living.
That operation is therefore called a caesarean section.
Doesn't Caesar come from a root meaning to cut? Corrupted to incision, etc.?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:40 PM
>from a root meaning to cut

oh, bill! a hair]/i]cut?!
*<8o)

Posted By: Faldage Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:42 PM
That operation is therefore called a caesarean section

As I understand it Big Julie was himself ripped untimely from his mother's womb.

Posted By: wwh Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:42 PM
A link to history of caesarean section Lots of good stuff

Cesarian Section -- A Brief History Home Page
Exhibitions and Public Programs. [NOTE ... [Cover]. CESAREAN
SECTION -- A BRIEF HISTORY. Plate ...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/cesarean/cesarean_1.html [More Results From: www.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:45 PM
As I understand it Big Julie was himself ripped untimely from his mother's womb.

That's right, Faldage, push my buttons! Get me ranting about the lousy cheating in Macbeth's plot again!

Posted By: Faldage Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:53 PM
Thank you Dr. Bill for dispelling the demons of disinformation with the torch of truth.

Of course, the final answer is, once again: "Well, maybe, we're not quite sure."

Posted By: wwh Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:54 PM

Cae[sar 7sc4z!r8, (Gaius) Julius 5L Caesar, said to be < caesus, pp. of caedere, to cut down (see 3CIDE), but prob. of Etr orig.6 c. 100-44 B.C.; Rom. general & statesman; dictator (49-44) of the Roman Empire

Posted By: Faldage Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 08:59 PM
caesus, pp. of caedere, to cut down

From which we might guess that the Sybil's ravings contained a pun. If indeed that which Graves used was historical fact and not ravings of his own or Seneca's(?) imagination.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 09:01 PM
Caesar, said to be < caesus, pp. of caedere, to cut down, but prob. of Etr orig.

OK, so who do we believe? Is Caesar from
caesaries -ei f. [hair , a head of hair]., as Robert Graves obviously thought, or is it from caedere, or from Etruscan. Where in Hades is NicholasW when you need him? He strikes me as the kind of guy who probably reads the daily news in Etruscan.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 09:06 PM
how brutal -- a logomachy over Caesar!

Posted By: wwh Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/15/01 09:28 PM
Et tu, Brute?

Posted By: maverick Re: hairy goat - Julius Hirsute? - 03/16/01 01:38 PM
or from Etruscan...

Never mind, Max, I've gone off the whole idea - I'll have the Waldorf instead!

© Wordsmith.org